My singing Cryin' by Aerosmith

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

This is me singing the song "Cryin'" by Aerosmith, recorded on my mobile phone (sorry, I didn't have better equipment at the moment):

http://www.speedyshare.com/827307891.html

I'm just practising and these are all done in one take with no editing. I'm still not happy with the way I sound here.

The thing is, I'm practising singing rock songs that have melodies that go beoynd G4 and all the way up to about E5. I want to be able to sing both clean and distorted. I'm already fairly content with singing stuff below and up to a G4, but I want to increase my range and skills.

Can anyone tell me where I'm doing something incorrect, what could be done better, what's good, etc.? I'd like to get some pointers on where I can improve.

I'm experimenting with twang and grit on some places. In the second clip, I'm overtwanging to get distortion for certain notes, but I'm not that loud. In the last clip, I'm really screaming loud to get distortion, but it doesn't really hurt because I'm trying to keep a relaxed throat, keep the sound in my soft palate and do the power push. I do think it could be tiring to sing like that (the last clip) for a long time, though.

Hope to get some pointers,

jonpall.

Please check out this take of the song as well:

http://www.speedyshare.com/448822196.html

This time I decided to try to sing it in what CVT calls overdrive and edge (on the high notes) and I also add distortion on some notes. I realize that I'm off pitch at times, but I haven't worked that much on these modes and I was also distracted by the bikers going by in the park I recorded this (guess I'm not as shy as I thought, lol) :)

I started off doing a few "full voice sirens" from Jamie Vendera's book "Raise your voice II" and that seemed to get me into those modes fairly well.

I'm interested to know if, even though that take isn't that great, if those 2 CVT modes are the ones I should be working on if I want to get a rock tenor sound similar to Tyler and Coverdale. Any thoughts on that, please?

Cheers,

jonpall.

If I had any knowledgeable info I'd be happy to post it bro. I think that some singers just have more natural gruffness in their voices. I noticed that in a video I saw of Steven Tylers vocal folds, he did seem to have some mucous present in that area which seemed to give him the sound he's famous for. It was cool seeing his vocal tract as he sang chest and head voice!

"GIDDYUP!"

Well, to start off, I want to be able to sing songs like that without grit (like in the first clip) and then add grit once that is good enough. Still, I've heard guys like Jamie Vendera say that they don't believe in a naturally raspy voice and I've also heard Steven Tyler sing pretty clean (both high and low notes). But I agree with you that it certainly seems to come easy to him :)

I stand corrected. I'm like you in that I'd like to be able to use grit as an effect when I want it and sing clean when I want to. Michael Sweet from Stryper is a perfect example of doing that. His voice is so pure and clean and then when he wants he can add the most soul ripping grit to his screams!

"GIDDYUP!"