Official Queensryche Cover Thread

Rate this topic

J, do "Breaking the Silence." I've always wanted to do that one. I would sing it a capella, standing on top of a ladder while terminating junction boxes. My friend, John, and I at work, would trade off on the lyrics.

John is the world's most fanatical Queensryche fan, bar none.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dan :)

Great job Keith!

I have to agree with Dan in regards to singing the pitches with a little more intensity. Don't short change yourself because I know you can do it.

This may help...Work on you speaking voice by making sure you have a nice clear tone with great vocal fold closure. You can practice this by counting to 100 with a loud resonate voice, but make sure you keep the tone staccato. This will directly affect the quality of your tone. As soon as you finish counting you can vocalize on a 3-5 tone scale focusing on keep the notes staccato. You will be able to feel trouble spots a lot earlier in your range than you would if you were to sing legato. As soon as you get to a spot where you feel like you need to break, bridge, or blend don't do it! Just focus on keeping the vowel short and connected.

If you cannot keep it connected do not move to the next pitch because you will only be selling yourself short by flipping. Good Luck!

Absolutely astounding, Felipe. One of my favorite QR songs and it is my wife's FAVORITE QR song. (Ballads always get the chicks.)

Well done.

Edited to add: I had my wife listen to it. Her words "That guy is awesome."

She is the real litmus test. She doesn't know or care about curbing, twang, CT or TA (back in our younger days, TA was short for the Pontiac Trans Am). You are either good or you are not.

And so, you are good.

Awesome man! What I meant by one take is to not go back and fix mistakes. So what you did is what I would call one take in a studio (which is what I do in my spare time) . I'm either engineering or recording people in a studio every other weekend. You did great. Glad you posted. And Ron, I'd love to find a "Breaking the Silence" backing track . That is a killer sOng!

Awesome man! What I meant by one take is to not go back and fix mistakes. So what you did is what I would call one take in a studio (which is what I do in my spare time) . I'm either engineering or recording people in a studio every other weekend. You did great. Glad you posted. And Ron, I'd love to find a "Breaking the Silence" backing track . That is a killer sOng!

It's been a few years since I sang that song but if you can find it, I will take a stab at it. Of course, I remember the chorus. Who doesn't? :)

Today , my band played eyes of a stranger (dropped a half step) and I hit all the notes. Some powerful, some not. We were messing aroUnd cause I'm back to playing bass / so I purchased a wireless headset mic. In a few months maybe I could sing it. I hope anyway .

I like that song, too, and I bet you nailed it just beautifully, too.

It would be great to hear you sing it in whatever key you chose. A beautiful voice is beautiful, regardless of the part of the range the vocal line falls in.

Tnx keith! So, you think this recording quality works? Was kinda concerned.

Tnx rowns, and also tnx for her :). I am also interested on the mic and recording quality. It may become something nice on the future.

Ill listen to your recordings later an let you know guys. Tnx for the feedback!

Tnx keith! So, you think this recording quality works? Was kinda concerned.

Tnx rowns, and also tnx for her :). I am also interested on the mic and recording quality. It may become something nice on the future.

Ill listen to your recordings later an let you know guys. Tnx for the feedback!

What bit rate are you recording at?

Yep. The main problem doing this was noise. Ill do a few more tests, but the main difference is that im using a cheap internet call headset plugged directly on the stock soundboard. Im tampering with noise reduction in order to make it usefull and maybe make a poors man guide to track vocals on the future.

If it works, it would be a great tool I think.

Come on peeps, let's get more Queensryche covers posted up in here! Bob, I know you got one in ya! Robert ? Izzy? Everyone lol

Cool I will do a cover asap! Just know I come from an R&B/Gospel background, but I will do my best to get the feel/capture this style of music. :)

Hopefully I will post something by the end of the week.

Iz, I have heard some of your range and you could cover a QR song. Whether you sound like a memorex copy of Geoff or not. Who cares? I don't.

So, put an R & B spin on it. I don't sound like Geoff and I did one. Actually, I used that song to help heal my voice.

So, get crackin' .

Keith listenning to the song right now. First I have to say that I really like this BT, and I would appreciate if you could mail me a copy :).

Now, on your singing.

Man, the beginning is almost perfect, until the higher section, your voice is sounding much more natural than on other recordings, much more defined and pleasant to hear than before. There is just a little mistake on the beginning where one note kinda wobbles, if you could fix that, it would improve the whole track a lot.

I would also take care with that darkening that I know Geoff Tate used a lot, I had the feeling that you overused it after hearing it. I think that one time at the beginning and at the middle, on strategic spots, and taking care to not drawn the other vowels in the darkness would work best. This is an interpretative choice, so there is no right or wrong, but its how it felt to me.

The higher notes, I gotta be sincere with you, are not working. But the falsetto is comming more natural, it sounds pleasant, it just does not fit the song. As you ajust more and more all aspects of your voice, I think you will gradually get the hang of it.

This is a very hard song... Geoff Tate can not be human :P. The work of dinamics on these higher sections is something on a class of his own.

Nice job on the lower parts, on the higher range, since I understand are studying already, its a matter of time.

GL!

Iz, I have heard some of your range and you could cover a QR song. Whether you sound like a memorex copy of Geoff or not. Who cares? I don't.

So, put an R & B spin on it. I don't sound like Geoff and I did one. Actually, I used that song to help heal my voice.

So, get crackin' .

Okay Brother Ron I appreciate the encouragement :)

I will get on it asap! Can anyone send me the instrumental?

Izzle - which track do you want? Send me an email at keith_goehner@yahoo.com, and ill respond with it (assuming I have it anyway lol)

I am listening to a few choices now. I will let you know which ones I like the most :-)

Thanks in advance.