Official Queensryche Cover Thread

• TMV World Legacy Member

Eyes of a Stranger or Silent Lucidity are my choices right now. Do any of you have any suggestions?

You have the range for "Queen of the Riech" so I suggest that one. Let me know if you want it. Also I have Silent Lucidity, but not eyes of a stranger.

www.drop-head.com

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me just say I look forward to all the submissions here and in the "Child In Time" thread(s). I am enjoying listening to the different renditions. However I am refraining from commenting. Everyone is doing a great job and I commend you all. I won't comment individually, I am not looking to compare or critique but rather just take it all in.

Keep on keepin' on!

Well, Tommy, it's all your fault in the other thread. Now, I feel like doing "Silent Lucidity," even though I know I will be weak on the lowest notes and will probably have to resort to post-recording mixing tricks to beef it up. Probably like however they did it in the studio.

Favorite bit from a Geoff Tate interview. He would do something in the studio that sounded neat. And the recording engineer, who puts one sock and then the other and cannot think outside the box asks him to do it again because all recording engineers think they must absolutely have 3 or 4 takes of something or the whole world will wobble of it's center of rotation. And Geoff would say, no. I don't know how I did it the first time and I'm not sure I could do it again. So, they would have to live with just the take he gave.

Mo' powah to the Geoff.

When he was being interviewed for Martin's book, he dreaded it, at first, because he knew people would be asking him technically how he did this or that. He had no idea. He does not think, "I will do a C5 with this percentage of twang." He just sings what he feels at that particular moment.

Well let me just say I look forward to all the submissions here and in the "Child In Time" thread(s). I am enjoying listening to the different renditions. However I am refraining from commenting. Everyone is doing a great job and I commend you all. I won't comment individually, I am not looking to compare or critique but rather just take it all in.

Keep on keepin' on!

Thanks for posting this great post Tommy!

We spend so much time trying to critique others that we forget to enjoy the sheer passion, musicality, and the art. Sometimes we have to all be reminded to humble ourselves and enjoy.

I really appreciate the kind words as I'm sure many others would too.

"verum ipsum factum"

Still waiting, Iz, tapping my foot impatiently.

:D

I bet your cover will rock our socks off. So, I have preemptively removed my socks.

Haha Ron I will try my best to live up to expectations.

"verum ipsum factum"

I'll posting "Della Brown" Tomorrow. Found a great backing track for it and couldn't resist buying it. It's more in my range anyway.

www.drop-head.com

Here is my cover of Della Brown, mistakes and all. I missed a few vocal jumps, but I think that they are negligible. Let me know what ya think.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11818410&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

Absolutely excellent, as far as I am concerned. Definitely expressing your "inner Geoff." I am so glad you started this thread. And of the people here, you have the voice that most sounds like his, as a side effect. I think you could cover most of the catalog. Given a few more months, I think you can "Take hold of the Flame." And, I think you could do "Queen of the Ryche," as well.

Absolutely excellent, as far as I am concerned. Definitely expressing your "inner Geoff." I am so glad you started this thread. And of the people here, you have the voice that most sounds like his, as a side effect. I think you could cover most of the catalog. Given a few more months, I think you can "Take hold of the Flame." And, I think you could do "Queen of the Ryche," as well.

I feel the same way.

Just do me a favor and remember why you love to sing. If you are a true vocalist it's not because you want to sound good it's because you have something to say. So the next time you record a cover I want you to really understand the meaning or the song and why the song was written. Then I want you to find that place within yourself that can really connect to the emotion of this song.

We work on technique in practice when it's time to sing I want you to sing it like it will be your last time singing.

Keep up the good work.

"verum ipsum factum"

I'm a bit mystified, Iz. I think Keith got all the emotion of that song. In fact, that's what really gave him such a charge, because he really does have a Tate-ish voice and on this one, he wasn't worried about top notes. He sang it like he wrote it. I guess our milages vary.

• Administrator

Keith I did break out "Take Hold of the Flame" this evening and began working on it. Recorded it, it sounded pretty good in most parts , but I flubbed a couple spots, gotta chop on it some more... just wanted to let you know I wasn't puss'n out...

^ your certainly not the type to puss out. We are after all the children of the night lol

Makes me think of the lyrics:

Breaking the silence of the night

Can you hear me screaming?

I see your face in the neon light.

I must be dreaming.

I never did one. I don't even listen to Queensryche, this is white spot on a map for me, hopefully i'll do Child In Time eventualy.

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

I never did one. I don't even listen to Queensryche, this is white spot on a map for me, hopefully i'll do Child In Time eventualy.

OUCH - never listened to QR!

www.drop-head.com

And I'm still waiting for Doc to do "Child in Time," as well.

Although, I think he might do a QR song fairly well if he heard one a number of times. Then again, Doc, maybe you're just not into QR all that much. But you do have a sense of humor, always a good thing.