Official Queensryche Cover Thread

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMV World Legacy Member

There are a few moments later in the second verse that are really a strain. I can hit them, but "new world will begin" is still pretty ugly. Right now I'm working on onsets as my main concentration, but I can feel my head voice getting more and more usable.

Thanks for the listen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Woaw, a Queensrÿche Cover thread!!!

So many songs I’d like to do!!!

I did a short bit of Jet City Woman as an exercise (so it’s pretty raw): HERE.

I’m going to record a full version.

I’ve been working on I Dream in Infrared, but it’s just so godly Tately done, that I think it’s something I would aim for later.

Suite Sister Mary is as rock opera / musical it can get. It won’t be easy to make a good backing track for it, though. My voice is quite broadway like. Most probably because I’ve mainly had classical singing lessons (I’ve tried to work with rock/pop teachers, but really, it didn’t work out, until a recent one I’ve found).

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

I had made a separate thread for my other QR cover song. I should include it in this thread, just because it was a QR thread.

And to give Manny some kind of boost to keep going. Trust me, Manny, if I could do this, you certainly could.

SL - 2 by Queensryche

https://www.box.com/s/wm9mdujcbk50vbkbrd0q

Silent Lucidity is pretty tough for me, because I can only get so low as F#2. I’ll see what I can do.

Silent Lucidity is pretty tough for me, because I can only get so low as F#2. I’ll see what I can do.

So, do "Jet City Woman" or "I Don't Believe in Love." Most of those are above C3, maybe an occasional grace note around Bb2 or A2 - ish.

Yeah, I’m practicing ‘Jet City Woman’ and ‘Suite Sister Mary’.

You have a suite sister mary karaoke file????????????

www.drop-head.com

I am looking forward to it. I had hoped that more would participate in this thread. Some who promised to try never did post anything. Kind of like the threads for "Child in Time." Not many people in those put up a file. And only a few did a full-length cover.

These are challenging songs, certainly. I just want to hear people sing and do something I may not have heard before.

No, but I plan on making one myself. Obviously the choir stuff would be difficult to tackle.

I already tried to transcribe it. It’s indeed Dies Irae, but it has nothing to do with either Mozart’s or Verdi’s compositions—or any composer for that matter. It’s a completely new composition by Michael Kamen.

So, making a karaoke track will take some time. I might do a piano arrangement for a start.

I tried to see if I could make a good sounding track if I would rip the individual channels of either Livecrime’s or Live at the Moore’s 5.1 tracks and then isolate the center channel. Unfortunately, the vocal channel is also mixed in the left and right speaker channels, in both DVDs. I could get a far more isolated clip of the choir, so I might be able to transcribe it even more accurate.

So here I am. SUITE SISTER MARY

Yesterday I tried to make my own backing track of the song (karaoke version), simply because there isn’t one.

I’m really a beginner when it comes to mixing, so please don’t mind a beginner’s mixing.

Today, I did the vocals. Strangely enough, the main verses towards Mary [Tate] are easier to do than Mary’s lines [Pamela] or even the chorus [either]. I still am doing something odd with my vowels. I think I’m spreading them way too much.

Oh, and Mary’s lines have quite some reverb going, because I wanted them to sound angelic and contrasting to the main lines (hey, I’m acting a girl there whose symbolic for light/love to Nikki).

There seems to missing some body, some mass. It’s pretty much twang, probably high larynx (didn’t check), but I might be holding back ever so (slighlty) for it:

not being belting, but the Oral Twang setup (EVT) or

not being Overdrive (CVT, and I guess Tate is a clear example of using Edge; sooo sharp!) or

for it being bringing up chest so it sounds everything but chest (SLS/SS).

Please comment. Oh, and don’t worry. I can take some critique. I’ve had them.

This song requires tremendous support and control, and you have them both. I think some of your voice may have been lost in the mix. I think you did a great job with this song. What equipment did you use to records with?

www.drop-head.com