Your review / comments on this clip please

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

I am new here and very impressed by the level of all the members. Congrats !

I have to tell you, and you will see it in the following link, I am an absolute beginner singer. After almost 20 years of guitar playing, I decided to learn singing 3 monthes ago, because I was fed up by not finding vocalists.

Anyway, this is my (poor) attempt of Surrounded by DT.

http://www.wideo.fr/video/iLyROoafI_4l.html

I wanted to post an iphone video because recording with a good mic + compressor should have masked some technique mistakes. I prefer to be 100% transparent and honest to improve quicker.

I learn with a teacher and with Vendera's Raise your Voice where i found all the basic technique tips... I work hard but singing is a very long process. I have received today James Lugo's DVD also with which I will work hard for sure.

I don't like my voice which is too metallic for me (in the bad sense), and I have not begun to see all vocal effects (vibrato, grit, ...) because the best is to get IMHO a good vocal technique before adding after effects.

Thanks for your help. DOn't hesitate to criticize me, because all what you will say will help me to improve my skills.

Humbly yours

Djemass

Allo!

I think that you have the "bones" or raw talent to be a singer. Where I see/hear you need some help with is relaxation and letting the notes just come out. You have the range to hit those high notes. Watch the original singer for Dream Theatre and how he is delivering the song.

Find a good vocal teacher to show you proper breathing techniques and a good foundation. Once you have a good foundation, you can decide what to work on after (tone, sound, head voice, bridging...etc). You have a good vibrato. :)

Also, you will have to work on pronounciation for singing English songs (it is hard to understand what you are saying). You could give us a sample of a French song and then I could see/hear better how you deliver your notes.

Good luck - Bonne chance!

Michele

Rock on....

ps...thanks for exposing me to Dream Theatre. I had never seen or heard of them before. They are awesome!

Hi buddy ;)

My thoughts:

With a good coaching you will make it for sure. The breathing/support technique is what you have to work on. The placement also is important, for now it's moving all the time. In the verse, listen to J.Labrie is more whispering it and you seem to 'chest it' too much. I don't know the exact terms ( really not a pro), some will explain it better, but you force too much on your throat. I would add to not take care of singing volume too much

But for 3 months of practising i think it's really good, some notes are very high! The abilities are here, just need to shape that voice ;-)

Another thing, maybe don't try to force and imitate Labrie on the high notes, what i do for me is that i try to catch the overall sounding but try also to do it with my own voice (eay to say, hard to do).

Keep on rocking Gerald!!!

• Administrator

DJ

I can hear a good voice here. When you modulate to the higher notes in the classic DT song, your voice responds well and has good tone. I can also see that you have passion for singing. The challenge is experience. I agree with my TMV forum colleagues above, you need a voice coach and you need to sing with scales to make your rhythmic cues tight. There is a lot of advanced coordination that must be had really nail this song. Its not enough to sing the notes, you have to sing the notes with the same energy, cues, attack, formant to make it work.

I think you can do it and if you get serious about training your voice, it will come quickly for you... so get started!

Hope this helps.

Djemass, I am sure you were nervous singing in front of a camera... That took a lot of guts. Your singing has lots of potential... when you sing loud 3:20 in the song is just yelling pretty much and is not pleasing to my ear; but equally important to keep trying, by using the diaphragm. I see that you are investing in books and CD's; this is awesome to understand the theories. The same people that have written those books can help you even greater by doing a couple online skype training...I recommend this whole heartedly. Your posture is not correct, you are singing almost entirely from your chest and up and the notes sound very tinny because you are not putting your full body into it.

You can do it and I bet you are going to do very well in the future. As you begin to find your voice I recommend singing in front of people with less strenuous songs; stick to simple melodies. When you rehearse, make sure you work with an instructor to learn how to feel what you are singing from below your belly button, up through your stomach, chest and through your mouth...Repost in a month after you follow those steps; I guarantee you it will be like night and day and you will have a new foundation to continue to build your voice..

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

Djemass, I am sure you were nervous singing in front of a camera... That took a lot of guts. Your singing has lots of potential... when you sing loud 3:20 in the song is just yelling pretty much and is not pleasing to my ear; but equally important to keep trying, by using the diaphragm. I see that you are investing in books and CD's; this is awesome to understand the theories. The same people that have written those books can help you even greater by doing a couple online skype training...I recommend this whole heartedly. Your posture is not correct, you are singing almost entirely from your chest and up and the notes sound very tinny because you are not putting your full body into it.

You can do it and I bet you are going to do very well in the future. As you begin to find your voice I recommend singing in front of people with less strenuous songs; stick to simple melodies. When you rehearse, make sure you work with an instructor to learn how to feel what you are singing from below your belly button, up through your stomach, chest and through your mouth...Repost in a month after you follow those steps; I guarantee you it will be like night and day and you will have a new foundation to continue to build your voice..

Byron

hello Byron,

Thank you very much for your tips. In fact I am not nervous when I sing, it is just my technique is crappy for the moment, lol.:D I'll work on your tips asap with my vocal teacher. I feel that on some notes, I have to push too much to be able to make the note... My PSB is not good, Placement/Support/Breathing, ie (I have just invented it , hahaha !!). I'd love to take some skype lessons with Robert or jaime vendera, but I am not perfectly fluent, and i am afrais i would not understand 100% of what they'd tell me.:/

KR

Gerald

Allo Gerald,

If I can help you with translations or even with coaching in any way, let me know. I will be there to help you in your journey! I don't know if there is any way I can 'sit in' with your lessons with Robert for example so that if you have any translation problems I could help with the communications?

Michele

Rock on...

Allo Gerald,

If I can help you with translations or even with coaching in any way, let me know. I will be there to help you in your journey! I don't know if there is any way I can 'sit in' with your lessons with Robert for example so that if you have any translation problems I could help with the communications?

Michele

Rock on...

Wow Michele, thank you so much for your help. I let you know

Friendly

Gerald