This Life - Curtis Stiger & the Forest Rangers

Rate this topic

Ron,click on your song and the blue box that pops up that plays the song...copy and past the url at the top of that.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12003443&q=hi&newref=1

Haven't listened to the song yet

Blame me? For what?? :)

Blame you for being the banner carrier of the Blues. Blame you for liking the lower end of my voice. Blame you for using recording as a practice, because live is where it's at.

And, blame you for anything else I can think of ....

Unless I hit a bum note, then it's all on me.

And thanks for fixing the link.

I didn't like the first recording so I re-recorded today, after monkey with the output on the USB and the input in Audacity.

The other big difference is I did nothing to the vocal track except some volume change. I tried singing not quite so loud.. No compressor, no eq, no nothing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1278981&content=songinfo&songID=12004914

Ron this is great and I, personally, am a huge fan of both ends. Of your voice. At one point though I had the volume up because I couldn't hear it, when I had it to where I wanted it, BAM all of a sudden it got loud. I really shouldn't of had in headphones. And I'm going to THANK Tommy because the two ends of your voice sound really different to me. On the lower end your voice reminds me of a man named Nicolas David. I know him from the American version of The Voice, and I love his voice. On the low end it has this (for lack of a more intelligent term) cool and on the high end, while still cool, is in another area. That could just be my headset, but I don't think so.

Yo Ron bro!!

I haven't been around the forum all week so I haven't had a chance to hear this till now.

I listened a few times.

I will give you my honest opinion here even though I'm sure I will be in the minority and no one will agree with me. That's fine...I justify my position by saying they just don't have the huevos to say it!!! :lol:

First off, the song started out sounding nice vocally. Very tone full. You hit your sweet spot (imo).

Everyone here seems to love the big notes and high voices etc. Sure I do also but I don't get gaga over it. I much more prefer interpretation, artistry, emotion etc. Then again I aint "rockin' out." I notice a lot of reviews here compliment singers even if they can't "sing" a high note, as long as they can "hit" a high note. I think that is wrong.

Now....smack me down if you will and anyone who disagrees is free to chime in. I don't claim to be an expert....just my humble opinion based on my taste.

Here goes.

When the song started I thought. "oh yea,,,,this is gonna be good." I had a smile on my face partially because my name was attached to this by you saying blame it on Tommy (that you are singing in a lower voice) and partially (mostly) because your tone was so good. It started out nice man.

Then it happened!! What the...? You just couldn't do it could you? Where the hell did those high notes come from? That didn't belong there man!!!! Not in that song. That song was sounding so good in the low end. I didn't care for the high parts. But then we've been down this road before. :) Again... I'm sure most will disagree and say keep singing those high songs. But for me, I honestly think your strength is your midrange or the rang at the start of this song....or Brandy. I think that is your voice. I'd rather hear you sing songs like that.

Ok, so there I said it. Let me Have it :(

Tommy, you're not the only one to say that, so I was kind of prepared for similar comments. In the original, there are some high notes, the singer just doesn't stay there as long as I do. I sent this link to another friend who used to be a member of the forum and a moderator. And he said something similar, to include more lower parts, similar to the original.

So, no, my feelings are not hurt. Not that my feelings should be hurt, anyway. It took a while to realize that, in the best of times, we are like each other's wingman. The friend that tells you that you still have some artichoke stuck between your teeth before you go to chat up a lovely lady, somewhere.

I've also realized that stylistic comments can be just as helpful as technical comments. For example, if I was off-pitch and you pointed it out, it allows me to zero in and fix that spot.

In this case, it's a matter of style, one that I can also fix. As I told my other friend when he said almost the same thing, I said let me write a note to myself:

"quit treating every song like it's a Led Zep song ...." :lol:

I'm just more comfortable in the higher range. In fact, the only note that took some effort was the last verse "Until you die." That required a very low larynx position and vertical mouth position to try and enhance what is a low volume note for me.

However, I did sing it in the original key (I checked with my guitar against the original recording.)

So, no, Tommy, I have no ill will to return to you. I put this up some time ago and not one person commented in that time, though there were plenty of views. I guess they didn't know what to make of it.

For those who don't know, and quite possibly, don't care, this is the theme song from the t.v. show, "Sons of Anarchy."

Here's the original:

I forgot to mention some things that ought to give you reason to chuckle.

In the beginning of my version, where you hear what sounds like jingling, that's my dog rattling his collar with the tags on it.

And the other chuckle? The last recording is the 3rd take. The first time I was recording this song, I included some high notes about an octave above the highest in the later recordings and then rejected them, as they would not fit what I thought this song should mean.

So, what you hear is me singing low with the intention of singing low, though I should have sang more of it low.

I know I don't have the same tone of voice as the original and thought I would take it in my direction. A fork in the road ....

Good response Ronster ;)

I had checked out the original already prior. He does go a bit higher at certain points. I suppose his voice is naturally lower than yours so there isn't that much of a gap, so to speak, between his higher notes and the rest of the song. And it is probably more natural and easier for him. I was wondering if there was a way for you to thicken up your high notes in a song like this to add a bit more bottom end. Let it match the lower parts a little more. Just raising pitch within the same tone so to speak. I am only thinking out loud....sort of. Just thinking about the interpretation of the song and lines as well as consistency. Things I personally would think about if I were trying to emote for a song like this. Again "personally." I realize we are different people and different singers. :)

Good response Ronster ;)

I was wondering if there was a way for you to thicken up your high notes in a song like this to add a bit more bottom end.

I've tried before. And it sounded to covered, to "fake."

Things I personally would think about if I were trying to emote for a song like this. Again "personally." I realize we are different people and different singers. :)

You're right, we are different and I have edited out the long-winded monologue.

Nicely done. I like the higher notes , but how the hell did you sing that super low note, being a tenor and all :)

I used the Force, Luke.

Actually, when I recorded the first take, the day before, my voice was rougher then and had a warmer quality to it. By the time I did this one, my voice had cleared up.

Anyway, that low note is not at what I consider usable volume. I got close to the mic and it still didn't do much. I had used compressor on this last take, it probably would have sounded boomier but I wanted to do a dry vocal track, for comparison.

Yes, the last take has no effects on it, other than a slight volume boost.

Funny thing is, of anyone here in the forum, I have probably known more "bikers." So much that I know their attitudes and grew up with them. In fact, I can't figure out who first started the phrase "God forgives." My mother's version was "God Forgives, I don't." The Outlaws MC version is "God Fogives, Outlaws Don't".

Most of the ones I have known are not into all the criminal activity one sees in this show. In fact, I have called it Sopranos on 2 wheels.

I have been a guest at a party with the Banshees. Nice, quiet working people, just don't jack with them. Rebels MC, hard-working guys who are generous to a fault. Worked with someone from the Skulls and we got along like we were brothers. Another guy who was gypsy (independent. ) An old college mate rode with the Dallas chapter of the Scorpions. My friend, Lee, when he got out of the Navy, rode for a while as gypsy. And he was friends with Sonny Barger's bodyguard.

I like to ride. I don't care for the criminal activity. I like the sense of loyalty and camraderie in a club but I have never joined a club. There are a few I could join. The pres of Brotherhood of the Third Wheel lives in the town south of me and sometimes you would see him with his grandson on the back of his bright yellow trike. Up in New England there is the Re-Treads. The requirement is that you be over 40 years old and I qualified quite some time ago.

And around such people I reinforced the "confrontational" nature that I sometimes exhibit that I got from my mother. In so many words, to thine own self be true.

Which doesn't have to stop me from gracefully accepting suggestions and incorporating it now, or later.

:/

What any of that has to do with what you quoted from me I have no clue.....but ok :D

You're right, Tommy, TMI. I have edited it out, except for what it is in your reply.

When I was singing the song, it didn't seem that high. I think the highest notes are in the F#4 to A4 area.

I think my low note was probably Bb2 - ish. I crash the note, so there's no resting value. I used what I understood of creating a lower larynx and larger resonator space to hopefully resonate some low overtones.

It's just below my usable range, which starts at C3. Again, when I say usable, I mean stage volume without a mic over instruments. So, for this, I am right up on the pop filter in front of the mic.

I really do appreciate the ideas about other ways to sing this song, including matching the original singer more closely. I may use those ideas, some day, either on this song, or the next.. Which implies the converse, too.

:)

I really do appreciate the ideas about other ways to sing this song, including matching the original singer more closely. I may use those ideas, some day, either on this song, or the next.. Which implies the converse, too.

:)

Well, not really ideas just sort of thinking out loud :) I don't know anything more than anyone else. I can only go by what I do, which again, may be good for me but worthless for anyone else.

But I think the plus for you is that you play your own backing music which gives you a bit more freedom to tailor the song to your own take on it.

The forum seems quiet today. Either it's too early or its because today is Thanksgiving. I'm at work today and you guys aren't amusing me today. Too quiet :D Please don't force me to do some work :o

Well, not really ideas just sort of thinking out loud :) I don't know anything more than anyone else. I can only go by what I do, which again, may be good for me but worthless for anyone else.

But I think the plus for you is that you play your own backing music which gives you a bit more freedom to tailor the song to your own take on it.

The forum seems quiet today. Either it's too early or its because today is Thanksgiving. I'm at work today and you guys aren't amusing me today. Too quiet :D Please don't force me to do some work :o

I'll see what I can do about forcing you to work. I have 4 days off, nanner nanner boo boo.

We all make choices in how we go about a song, kind of like your process thread. I know all too well that I sound different to others than I sound to myself. For example, my lower notes in this song. I know how they sound to me, while I am singing them. When I listen to playback, it sounds different. Then I export to mp3 and u/l to the filesharing site. Listening through their player, it sounds different. I sync it to my ipod, sounds different, still. The ipod has a "sharper" sound that will bring somethings out that I may not hear in headphones.

And maybe I should try the covered "fake" sound. It sounds like hammered doggie doo-doo to me but maybe not to others.

I guess the more ears we have to give us feedback the better in the long run. I've gotten idea from others at times that I wasn't even looking for an idea. I suppose if any of us sang at a karaoke event or for some friends or even strangers it would be acceptable. Your song certainly was good enough for good applause and it would be well taken. But this forum is where we can get coaching or tidbits that may make us eventually get a standing ovation. We are all singers here or at least trying and studying to be so we are being critical at times not because something is really "wrong" but only as a "hey....maybe you can try this." Like wow you're really hitting the ball well. I wonder what would happen if you altered your stance a little wider?

And that's the beauty of posting songs here. Well, it works if people are honest and helpful. :)

Like wow you're really hitting the ball well. I wonder what would happen if you altered your stance a little wider?

You know, there's been a few times I felt like picking up a baseball bat ....

I couldn't resist poking fun at myself using your simile.

Ron, I thought you did a nice job with this, your guitar playing was very cool. I will stay out of the high vs low notes debate as it very subjective to each of us. I will say I think this type of song is in your wheel house. I would definately sit and have a cold one and enjoy an evenign of these types of songs. Thanks for sharring.

Steve

I will stay out of the high vs low notes debate as it very subjective to each of us.

Subjective, yes. I just want to clarify something though. My comments were based on something other than what readers may think. I wasn't commenting on the high notes so much as a personal taste thing as much as it was because I believed (believe) Ron was posting this song as a sample of him singing a low range song. I assumed this based on the Brandy response. Maybe I am mistaken? With that in mind my comments were directed toward that.

So I was commenting because if that was the case, then...well...he didn't remain low range throughout as he did in Brandy. That was the reason for my comment. In that thread (where he sang brandy) there were comments and compliments on how well his tone was at that range and he should do more.

Actually, Tommy, you nailed it dead-on.

And I saw the irony, too. Like another member, who had not posted in a while and posted a song, saying that he used less effects on the vocal track. And it turns out that he used just as many effects as he ever did, he just dialed them back a fraction of a percent.

I saw myself doing the same thing. "Here I am, singing a low song" and then I hang around the standard passaggio as if I have a mailbox there. So, yeah, Tommy, your disappointment is that I didn't sing as low as you expected, though it still feels low to me. Like I said, my first take had some notes about an octave above what you are hearing in this recording but I realized that was just plain stupid. The song really is a lower song, to be song with tone and feeling more than acrobatics and pyrotechnics.

I still prefer the last take, with out any effects processing, not even compressor. That's why the last note, low as it is, is also low in volume, because, yes, I managed a note lower than the original but that is all the volume I could muster for it, acoustically.

And thanks, Vocalist's Dad. The first round is on me. Put it on my tab. Excellent job on the wheel house comment. However, the only hard note for me is the low on at the last. That one took some concentration, as it is below my comfort zone, below my usable range. The low note is a "stunt" note for me.

I wanted to better address Keith's comment of how I could sing a note that low while claiming to be a tenor. A light tenor, at that.

Well, I have to admit that I took Steven Fraser's words to heart. One's range is where one has the greatest control over dynamics. Such as volume and tone. For me, that is C3 to C6. Anything below C3 for me, is reduced in volume and I just don't have a lot of leeway down there. But really, most days, I cannot even get to G2 (american notation.) So, I can get some notes lower than C3 on some days and if I am right up on the microphone, it might be useful for a recording, though not necessarily projected enough for a live performance.

Here's the lyrics with my cheat sheet notes

"This Life" lyrics by Curtis Stiger and the Forest Rangers

capo 2nd fret, open E and A (Gb and Cb)

Ridin' through this world

All alone

God takes your soul

You're on your own

The crow flies straight

A perfect line

On the devil's path

Until you die

A with moving bass

This life is short

Baby that's a fact

Better live it right

You ain't comin' back

A with moving bass

Gotta raise some hell

Before they take you down

Gotta live this life

guitar break 2 measures

Gotta look this world

In the eye

Gotta live this life

Till you die

You better have soul

Nothin' less

Cause when it's business time

It's life or death

A with moving bass

The king is dead

But life goes on

Don't lose your head

When a deal goes down

A with moving bass.

Better keep your eye

On the road ahead

Gotta live this life

Gotta look this world

In the eye

Gotta live this life

Till you die

Third try.

This one, more attitude, less high notes. And I was able to get the Sennheiser e835 (dynamic mic) work with the USB.

Some compressor and volume adjust. Customized eq that I set.

This Life - 3

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1278981&songID=12012299

I like the first one better.

:lol: Just kidding!!

Now that was much better (for me). For others maybe not but we all have different taste and likes/dislikes. For me this was the best of the three.

I felt that one more and connected with the song more also. I felt more emotion and more texture to your voice. And the last note "die" was steadier and more solid imo.

Good job Ron

I like the first one better.

:lol: Just kidding!!

Now that was much better (for me). For others maybe not but we all have different taste and likes/dislikes. For me this was the best of the three.

I felt that one more and connected with the song more also. I felt more emotion and more texture to your voice. And the last note "die" was steadier and more solid imo.

Good job Ron

On this one, the last note is note as low, so I am not pushing it.

Anyway, thanks, Tommy.