This Life - Curtis Stiger & the Forest Rangers

Rate this topic

Ive heard the two last versions, did not like at all. Same big technical problems as before, chest voice tense, muffled and back, and breaking into falsetto when you go high.

Without trainning, from the ground, the basics, it will not change, you are just running in circles around the same issues...

Ive heard the two last versions, did not like at all. Same big technical problems as before, chest voice tense, muffled and back, and breaking into falsetto when you go high.

Without trainning, from the ground, the basics, it will not change, you are just running in circles around the same issues...

Thanks for your time and consideration, Felipe.

Hey, Felipe. I home you don't mind if I pick your brain, a little bit. Since you offer yourself as a source as the end-all of singing wisdom, it would be foolish of me to not take advantage of that.

So, I listened, again, to my final or last cut, so far. The one with the Sennheiser e835 mic. You mentioned I was breaking into falsetto. I couldn't hear it. Which doesn't mean that, in your perception, it didn't happen. I'm just not hearing it or feeling it, when I sang it. None of us can hear ourselves as others hear us, though, perhaps, we get close when we record ourselves and play it back. For example, on some things I have recorded, I can tell you where I went off pitch, messed up a chord progression, etc.

As for the "tense" chest voice, I was using what I thought was "creak" to create a more rough tone of voice than I normally use. I felt the song called for it. And Tommy and one other person that I sent to for critique seemed to like it and felt it was closer to the original feel for the song. Granted, the original singer is centered lower than I am, but that has never stopped me before. :lol:

Unless I am not supposed to cover a song unless I sound exactly like the original singer. I didn't know that was the "rule." If it is, I will try to abide by that rule. I am not always successful in obeying the convention of others but at least I can try, which is all anyone can ask, right?

As I may have mentioned before, this last recording used the Sennheiser e835 dynamic mic, which has a more specific proximity effect than the condenser mic I was using before. Perhaps I misplaced it during the singing, causing some muffling of sound. In which case, I would ask you to bear with me, as I just recently figured out how to make it work with my interface. Plug in to an amp or mixer board? No problem. USB interface into "frankenstein"? A new learning curve, for me.

When you say, from the ground, what do you mean? Does that mean that the good things I did in "Ramble On" are all gone because of this one song? I am not sure of the rules. If I do one song that you don't like as to how I sang it, does that mean I lose all my "singer points" from a previously successful effort and have to start from scratch, again, as if I were teenager, starting out?

Just trying to get my bearings and get some clarification. I think you consider yourself more of an expert on singing than I ever thought of myself and it would short-sighted of me not to take advantage of your vast wisdom.