How should we engineer (record) our voc samples, for analysis purposes

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is a general question for the TMV experts. It only concerns one aspect of recording a vocal. For purposes of analysis - not for mixing into kareoke (sp) or other intrument tracks. How should the vocals be recorded to provide the most material for analysis. For example, would recording a voc as dry as possible (no reverb, no delay, no compression) be prefered or maybe recording in a very "live" room with lots of echo. Which is better to do analysis on?

Thanks

Pete W

• 1 month later...

Straight in to your soundcard does not lie. If you doubt this, take your favorite cd, run the earphone output into the line in on your sound card and adjust the levels to prevent clipping. Record your cd using your sound card and play back. You will find it is an incredibly accurate reproduction. Even the cheapest sound cards these days have incredible fidelity. Of course, there are some exceptions but they are not common. HTH

Occurred to me I should have added more:

IMHO:

If you use a mic that everyone knows, like a Shure SM-58 and a preamp, like the ART MP Studio

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=art+mp - studio model for $30

(BTW, these are an incredible value for what they are - a veritable audio "Swiss Army Knife" )

into the "mic" in on your sound card, you can do everything necessary to produce a great vocal for the purposes of getting critiques.

OTOH, even a headset direct to the soundcard is probably good enough for most of the professionals on this site to give you adequate feedback.

And, yes, "dry" is what you want to use.

For public sales, you'll want to do more. You'll even want to "cover up" any imperfections that detract (but not those that enhance - an artistic choice).

Just my $0.02 and worth what you paid for it. LOL