My version of Carry On My Wayward Son - Please critique

Rate this topic

There is a difference in how singers use and pronounce vowels depending on what styles of music they are singing. That is why many say they can not understand words sung by opera singers even when the singer is singing in their native language. That is also why almost every opera singer sounds funny when trying to cross over and sing pop tunes. They do not hear the difference in the vowels in different styles of music and so are not able to switch how they sing the vowels, depending on the musical style.

Classical Voice uses a very narrow range of vowel production. Non classical singing uses a very wide range of vowel production. Just something to keep in mind if your goal is to be a cross over singer and be one of the few who can do both classical and pop singing.

Timothy: I encourage you to keep to the topic of this discussion, which is to provide a place for recordings to be posted, and for the singers to receive comments from other Forum members on those recordings.

Alternatively, if you want to discuss the intelligibility challenges for singers cross-genre, start a thread on that, under Vocal Technique. There may be many out there that would be interested to hear your thoughts on how an 'operatic' pronunciation of 'ah' on a tenor high A might be different than the way Steven Tyler or Tony Bennett does it.