Been singing for 30 years with no vocal training at all. in LA trying.

Rate this topic

I would like some examination from a knowledgeable source. I would appreciate any and all feedback please. I live in LA, and am trying to make it.

Wooferine

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/c2d48d8e

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bce7ac68

I would like some examination from a knowledgeable source. I would appreciate any and all feedback please. I live in LA, and am trying to make it.

Wooferine: You have a distinctive, very individual style, which naturally draws the attention of the listener. This is a very good aspect to have in a performing voice.

What was very distracting for me was the variation in pitch... sometimes sharp, sometimes flat.

If I could give you one thing to work on first, it would be that.

I hope this is the kind of feed-back that you were seeking.

Your voice has a great tone - nice and bright and unique. I agree with Steven about the pitch. I think if you started to do some vocal excersizes on a regular basis the pitch would improve in no time. Steven posted some great ideas on improving pitch on a thread a while back. Good luck!

The reason your pitchy is due to tension... and it ties into breath and your desire to 'sing' rather than speak on pitch. Now it could be an ear issue.... however it's not pitchy in your lower register.. but it is in your passagio.. which leads me to believe it's all due to tension.. no biggee..

Quick thoughts...

1. teacup breathing... that's all you need.. it will help fix your breath.. which will help fix your onsets and help set up your lines..

2. falsetto... work on descending from your free falsetto range through your passagio (I don't know your fach... but I'm thinking you're either a tenor or a baritone)..

3. vowel space... your resonance is shifting... I'm guessing that your jaw is moving a lot too.. but the jaw isn't necessary in singing, it just gets in the way.. tip your head back and relax your jaw... don't force it open... just let of flop to it's comfortable spot when your looking at the ceiling...

notice that room.. that's all you need (for the most part).

4. put your fingers in front of your mouth (almost, but not touching your lips)... and speak normally... feel the air... notice there's hardly any movement... .. now sing.... if there's a difference.. your pushing too much.. switch back and forth... we can thank Garcia for that trick.. though he used candles. :)

Once you find your 'pocket of resonance'... aka 'dome'... you'll really grasp how interrelated these things are, and how they work together..

But you seem to have a good understanding of the style and you've got a pleasing sound. But we're only hearing a part of your real voice. Once you gel onto these concepts you'll find that you have an even more unique and beautiful sound inside of you just waiting to come out.

Unlock your potential... and unleash your art.. set it free..

Good luck!!!

The reason your pitchy is due to tension... and it ties into breath and your desire to 'sing' rather than speak on pitch. Now it could be an ear issue.... however it's not pitchy in your lower register.. but it is in your passagio.. which leads me to believe it's all due to tension.. no biggee..

Quick thoughts...

1. teacup breathing... that's all you need.. it will help fix your breath.. which will help fix your onsets and help set up your lines..

What is teacup breathing?

Ashique M. Fahim

God the people on here are nice, Wooferine personaly i think you need to add some volume to your voice it sounds like your singing about as loud as quietly chat in some ones ear and i would say get some lessons sorry but i speak the truth.

Keep it up though as i do think there is such potential in your vioce try the Brett manning singing CD's they would work for you so well you have to email me and as i may be able to help ;) (if you know what i mean) and if you don't just email me!!

Kalapoka: Small inhalations. For many musical phrases, only a small amount of breath is required. Just take what you need for the phrase at hand.

exactly... breathing too deeply can throw off the necessary balance during onset and lead to all sorts of interesting things.. trust me... I've found most of them haha :)

Visualize taking a sip of tea from a teacup... drink in the small amount of air.. if done correctly you'll notice that your body automatically engages the right muscle groups, and it helps to prevent a singer from engaging throat muscles (I've notice my larynx descends when I try to 'breath' properly). It also encourages a 'quiet' breath. it also helps to prevent the soft palate from dropping, etc... etc.. etc... feel like you're breathing at/above the hard palate..

Anyways.. that's teacup breathing in a nutshell.

It's a very powerful tool for all styles of singing.