"How to make your neighbours hate you"

Rate this topic

This is not a new post! :) I'm more or less bumping it, because through this forum I've met some nice people. Not only users, but "lurkers" that sends me e-mail or such after hearing me here. Therefore I'm keeping this topic as my "go to"-place whenever I upload something new on my Youtube channel.

If you find this ill-mannered, just tell me! :)

So, I got fed up with singing a while back, for reasons which are irrelevant to this thread, but after a couple of months of total silence my lust returned. However, I didn't want to go back to just singing in my car, so I decided to create a Youtube channel with a little humorous twist; "How to make your neighbours hate you", where I'm recording my singing at home (where the soundproofing is horrible).

First one I did. Crummy picture recording, I know.

The second one, with better picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8DiejIkIM

Sorry for my flailing, but I'm too concentrated to realise it. I guess its my Italian blood :P

I don't know, perhaps this will entertain at least some one! :)

So, I got fed up with singing a while back, for reasons which are irrelevant to this thread, but after a couple of months of total silence my lust returned. However, I didn't want to go back to just singing in my car, so I decided to create a Youtube channel with a little humorous twist; "How to make your neighbours hate you", where I'm recording my singing at home (where the soundproofing is horrible).

First one I did. Crummy picture recording, I know.

The second one, with better picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8DiejIkIM

Sorry for my flailing, but I'm too concentrated to realise it. I guess its my Italian blood :P

I don't know, perhaps this will entertain at least some one! :)

You have solid potential. You did this song fairly well, I think. You definitely should not let anything stop you. Keep up the good work! :cool:

MDEW

Perhaps a good way to get rid of "less than likable"-neighbours! :P

ElWin

Yeah, I'll strive to get every clip around 2 minutes. Gives me time to do what I want without risking to be long-winded. Thanks for that epic remark. Haha! :)

Will-Sing-For-Supper

Thank you! :) If you've got any criticism, I'm all ears!

I liked them both, especially "The Number of the Beast." At least you are on key. If you really want to horrify neighbors, do that with no sense of interval. Make it truly a caterwauling of noise. You sing on the right pitches way too much!

:lol:

Man i just listened to your "Number of the beast". I don't know much of your curent neighboor but if i was among them, i would knock on your door and bow before your awesomeness. " Sir Enander, would you accept to teach me how to sing like this".

Thus being said, you chose a very gritty and evil approach on this song. If i remember, Bruce's style is a bit brighter and operatic. But thats a matter of taste and i really like your version.

ronws

Haha! Thanks! You know, I'm considering doing a horrible act of "something someone somwhere would call singing", but there's still a minor aspect of me representing myself which will go down the drain with such a... feat?

Perhaps it's something down the road solely for laughs though! :P

forest_gimp

Hahaha! You honour me, sir! :P

Yeah, I've picked up some of Bruce's manner, which I found suitable to my own voice, but all in all it's quite different. I avoid trying (too much) to sound like the original vocalist. With that being said, from a technical point of view, I(!) believe I'm closer to Dio in Don't talk to strangers than Bruce in Number of the beast. Just that Dio sounded so much better with this kind of distortion than me.

Which brings me to another point; I've heard from others that they also think my Number of the beast is better than Don't talk to strangers. I'd very much appreciate if you could try to explain why! :)

Is it because I display a wider range in Number of the beast?

Is it just more solid?

Perhaps it's inevitable to compare me to Dio, which puts my voice in a shameful light?

Because personally, I like my Don't talk to strangers more than Number of the beast. It felt like I improved my singing while learning it.

Maybe comparison is the problem. Your rasp is different than RJD's. What you are doing is different, not bad.

And what you did on NotB is closer to what people are expecting of that song.

As opposed to DTtS, where you sound a little more like Rob Halford than Ronnie.

Does that make sense?

Who knows? The audience, we are fickle. It happens.

Enander, I really dug it. I really like the fact that when you are singing you are really putting it all out there. Sometimes you just got to say, the heck with it, I'm doing this and go for it. Keep it up and buy your neigbors some cookies and teach them to love rock. :cool:

Steve

ronws

It has never crossed my mind that I sound like Halford, but as far as grit/dist/rasp goes you're right! Haha! Thanks for pointing that out, and yes, what you said does make sense. I find it kind of sad though, because it means some songs are by default "up-hill choices" for me. None the less, an important lesson I guess! :)

Vocalist Dad

Thank you, Steve! :)

And yeah, I sing with my whole body! Haha! I don't really know why I do that, but to me involving the whole body is an integral part of singing.

Awesome voice! I like your grit and the energy you bring to your singing. I think I preferred Don't Talk To Strangers, but both songs were awesome. Keep em coming!

And I doubt your neighbors will hate you. If they complain they are lame and you have to keep singing to teach them what good music is :D (btw. I actually got an angry note from my neighbor in my old apartment. She had two dogs constantly barking whenever she left her place, but still complained about me singing maybe an hour a day. Some people are strange)

analog

Thank you very much!! :D

Marcus

Many thanks, Marcus! At least there's one besides me who preferred Don't to talk to strangers to Number of the beast! Haha!

My neighbours haven't said anything... yet! I live in a "student ghetto", so the threshold is perhaps quite high :P

forest_gimp

Funny story actually!

I started singing in the spring of '08 when I took a music class at the university. At the time guitar was undoubtedly my forte, and I was the best guitarist in class (no bragging; there's a point to it). As part of the class we had to form a band. I should have chosen the other great instrumentalists, buuut... I chose the group of four beautiful girls instead! :D

The teachers didn't like this, because everything was too easy for me, and they suggested that I did a special assignment which involved singing three songs in front of everyone else in class to get my proper grades. At first I was pretty darn apprehensive, but when I started to practice alone in my car... boy was it fun! Had I chosen to group up with the people I was supposed to, I'd probably not be singing today :)

So, the moral of the story is, ALWAYS choose the beatiful girls!

ronws

It has never crossed my mind that I sound like Halford, but as far as grit/dist/rasp goes you're right! Haha! Thanks for pointing that out, and yes, what you said does make sense. I find it kind of sad though, because it means some songs are by default "up-hill choices" for me. None the less, an important lesson I guess! :)

Vocalist Dad

Thank you, Steve! :)

And yeah, I sing with my whole body! Haha! I don't really know why I do that, but to me involving the whole body is an integral part of singing.

You should try "Breaking the Law" the live version from Germany. This is from 1983. It's my favorite performance of this song, even better than the album or the video.

You should try "Breaking the Law" the live version from Germany. This is from 1983. It's my favorite performance of this song, even better than the album or the video.

I had something else planned next, but I think I'm gonna change my mind. You have made me curious. Haha!

Thank you very much for the tip, ronws!

FelipeCarvalho

Thank you very much!

I've not personally "encountered" you on these forum before, but I know you're straight forward when it comes to critique (for the record, that's how I like it). Feels good to get a few kind words from someone that's not afraid to tell it like it is!

Max

Hey, Max! Good to hear from you again, and thanks! :D

I hope you'll find the time and inspiration to get some singing done soon! :)

Great singing man! My neighbour also hates me because the walls are so thin that he can hear me talking normally on the phone, let alone practising high notes.

Just wanted to mention something that kinda bugged me, I felt like you were rushing the tempo on both songs, singing the phrase a fraction of second before it felt right. Maybe its just me. But anyways, awesome voice !

Great singing man! My neighbour also hates me because the walls are so thin that he can hear me talking normally on the phone, let alone practising high notes.

Just wanted to mention something that kinda bugged me, I felt like you were rushing the tempo on both songs, singing the phrase a fraction of second before it felt right. Maybe its just me. But anyways, awesome voice !

Thanks! :)

Yeah, same here! I don't practice at home though. I drive out into the woods. It's not so bad... unless it's -20°C (-4ºF) or below.

And thank you for telling me what buggers you! I'll look into it.

Hahahahha, did i hear the neighbour upstairs stomp their feet or was it you? Even though i have a house neighbours complained so i had to go down to the basement, hahahha. Anyway, what else can i say, you sing heavy metal like a God, your grit is fantastic. I hope you are not homeless now, hahahha.

Hahahahha, did i hear the neighbour upstairs stomp their feet or was it you? Even though i have a house neighbours complained so i had to go down to the basement, hahahha. Anyway, what else can i say, you sing heavy metal like a God, your grit is fantastic. I hope you are not homeless now, hahahha.

Haha! You know what, it just might be! When it's silent in our appartment, we can hear our neighbours' conversations. That's how badly the sound proofing is.

Alas (?), no one has said anything about my singing; no angry notes or something.

Hm! Maybe I should make a clip where I blow my lungs out. No actual singing, just high pitched shrieks for 10 minutes... in the middle of the night... during the upcoming finals week!

(EDIT: My neighbours tend to party loudly every Thursday to Saturday until 4 or 5 AM, piss and/or vomit everywhere, and destroy property. So this whole thing of me singing is far from gratuitous!)

Also, thank you for the compliment! :D I needed that, as I was on the brink of developing a full-blown case of "study rage".