Felipe Carvalho Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

• TMV World Legacy Member

In my case working the song is singing the song and taking notice of where problems lie. On the forums I have been accused of over thinking things but that is only because someone asks what I mean by my simple statement. When trying to explain a sensation it is easy to over think by trying to find words that relate to other people.

To me singing has more to do with sounds and sensations than mapping muscular movement. But how do you explain a physical sensation without mentioning the muscles involved with the sensation? It is then that you have to overthink and analyze.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Mdew it would be great, but it does not work. Here is a recipe:

First adjust the vowel EE on the melody of the chorus, you must make it resonant but not hooty, piercing but not annoying, keeping modal voice while relaxing jaw, tongue and the pharynx area, while lifting the soft palate enough to created a balanced vowel. Then you adjust the other vowels on the same way using this EE.

On the EE the tongue blade must rise and move forward, making the articulation of all vowels center around it. Of course vowel quality should be retained. Special care must also be taken with mouth opening since the relaxation of the area above the larynx will expose it to too much pressure if large mouth openings are used or if the production is lowered.

After its working, gradually remove covering adding supra glotal tensions, lowering the tongue a bit and giving room to a more shouty character, however do not let the volume increase, do not let tensions transfer to the larynx, do not let loose legato, let the larynx rise but still keep enough resonance to not let the character "squirell" out and keep the articulation free to sound natural.

And of course, support appropriately.

... Maybe you guys can use this sort of things? To me it would be useless.

Simplify... And get orientation to help you.

Mdew it would be great, but it does not work. Here is a recipe:

First adjust the vowel EE on the melody of the chorus, you must make it resonant but not hooty, piercing but not annoying, keeping modal voice while relaxing jaw, tongue and the pharynx area, while lifting the soft palate enough to created a balanced vowel. Then you adjust the other vowels on the same way using this EE.

On the EE the tongue blade must rise and move forward, making the articulation of all vowels center around it. Of course vowel quality should be retained. Special care must also be taken with mouth opening since the relaxation of the area above the larynx will expose it to too much pressure if large mouth openings are used or if the production is lowered.

After its working, gradually remove covering adding supra glotal tensions, lowering the tongue a bit and giving room to a more shouty character, however do not let the volume increase, do not let tensions transfer to the larynx, do not let loose legato, let the larynx rise but still keep enough resonance to not let the character "squirell" out and keep the articulation free to sound natural.

And of course, support appropriately.

... Maybe you guys can use this sort of things? To me it would be useless.

Simplify... And get orientation to help you.

Was that "recipe" an example of what does work or what doesn't work?

It describes. I worked each of these slowly, on easier songs, without thinking ahead just doing exercises I had to do at time and then singing. I don't believe it can result in anything useful, but it is a correct description and I am using it to show that things are not as simple as flip here, formant this, mode that.

Its not a productive way to address things... Not at all.

Nothing is simple when you haven't learned about it yet. Even easy things are complicated when you must break it down and explain each aspect.

Unfortunately with singing there is nothing you can look at and say "Ah! there is the problem". A correction in one place could lead to imbalance in another.

For me I just want to sing without people throwing tomatoes at me..... Which has happened. :rolleyes: :cool:

Technically it's amazing. At some points I was just amazed how clear and precise your tone was, and the little growly effects and dipthong twisty things were super awesome.

I think the only thing I can critique is the pronunciation. I hate to be that guy because singing shouldn't matter where you come from... but if you're singing American pop music it unfortunately does. Hell I grew up speaking English but it's still hard to try and do a convincing cover of an American song, especially one that is so well known.

Awaiting your next cover as usual ;)

EDIT: Oh and I wouldn't mention it unless it was literally the only thing left

mdew haha for real man? tomatoes?

Jugulator :)

Mr Bounce thank you man, its very cool and helpfull, I try to not murder the language hehe, but some stuff I just don't notice, let me know. I don't think that the accent can go away easily, and probably I will never fool a native, but please let me know when I do the really weird stuff :P.

They would have thrown them at anyone.. I was an easy target. :rolleyes::P

Picnic + Beer + man on stage = Target.....

They would have thrown them at anyone.. I was an easy target. :rolleyes::P

Picnic + Beer + man on stage = Target.....

A redneck right-of-passage. Also found at the Castle Donnington when it was the "Monsters of Rock" but is now called the "Download Festival."

New bands would get pelted with all kinds of of things. It was there that Twisted Sister had excrement thrown at them. You know you have arrived when someone cares to "send the very best."

:mad:

Jugulator :)

Mr Bounce thank you man, its very cool and helpfull, I try to not murder the language hehe, but some stuff I just don't notice, let me know. I don't think that the accent can go away easily, and probably I will never fool a native, but please let me know when I do the really weird stuff :P.

I actually thought this was your best job when it comes to sounding American, so to speak. The main place I hear it creep in is on the word "world" but I can't tell if it is the 'r' or the 'l', I just know it sounds different.