Little Wing - Trying to control distortion

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi - I bought the CVT book and am starting to get a handle on "healthy" distortion. With this song I can finally produce distortion without my voice feeling bad afterwards. But it is still hard for me to control it "at will". Please take a listen and see what you think - it is not heavy distortion - but it is the most I've done in a single song. The vocals start around 00:39.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9094030

Thanks

Geno

I updated the song -

5/9/10: added more high notes per Steven Fraser 2nd verse and

5/8/10: added a shredding guitar phrase 2nd half of solo.

• TMV World Member

Hi - I bought the CVT book and am starting to get a handle on "healthy" distortion. With this song I can finally produce distortion without my voice feeling bad afterwards. But it is still hard for me to control it "at will". Please take a listen and see what you think - it is not heavy distortion - but it is the most I've done in a single song. The vocals start around 00:39.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9094030

Thanks

Geno

Geno: I liked this alot, and when you wailed up into the top for a moment, you made me want to hear more of that. Nice rendition, dude.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Geno, you are one talented guy! I could listen to you all day. Do you have anything for sale?

Keep working on that distortion. :cool:

Thank you Michele! I wish I did! I have 4 CD's worth of original music but I haven't spent the time to get to the point of marketing them for sale. It is one of my goals. But after your comments I think I might be able to sell one some day!:lol: I appreciate your comments!

Geno, To get the dirt working on your voice when ever you want it you have to warm up your voice here's a tip have you seen the film The Shinning when the little boy say's RedRun over and over or when you sing a soft ballad and you come in slow and soft and your voice breaks up well that's the sound you need (it's also great for warming down) so what i do is start very quietly with wooooooaaaaaaaaooooo over and over slowly getting louder then the same mmmmeeeeeeaaaaaaaaeee then short and sharp 1 2 3 4 beat e i a o plus your normal breathing support etc, this warms me up before a gig and it normaly takes arouind 20 to 25 mins after this i can sing dirty anytime i like like switching it on and off. or listen to this and this is the sound i use

:cool:

nearly forgot Geno shit hot track great voice :D

Isn't that vocal fry? Also, isn't this mostly used in Death metal and not really classic rock or blues? Correct me if I'm wrong, people. Geno, loved that clip! You're definitely one of the many great singers on this forum! I also really liked the guitar playing. Is that you as well? Note that perhaps some people will comment that this song shouldn't be sung with distortion, but I realize that you're practising that effect and it sounds very good to my ears (and I love grit).

Isn't that vocal fry? Also, isn't this mostly used in Death metal and not really classic rock or blues? Correct me if I'm wrong, people. Geno, loved that clip! You're definitely one of the many great singers on this forum! I also really liked the guitar playing. Is that you as well? Note that perhaps some people will comment that this song shouldn't be sung with distortion, but I realize that you're practising that effect and it sounds very good to my ears (and I love grit).

Thanks jonpall for the great comments and support. Yeah thats me on guitar - thank you. I wasn't sure about distortion on this song at first, but I tried it and I kind of like it. Chad Kroeger from Nickleback does it on all their ballads and I love it.