Me trying to sing "Back in Black" by Ac/Dc.

Rate this topic

Hello, singers!

This is a very tough song and i try to twang and add distortion to it, am i on the right way? How can i make my voice sound better in this song? Any tips would be highly appreciated. I send links of two clips, one where i try to extract my voice from the music in case my voice is too blurred.

Thanx in advance/ Ola

http://www.box.net/shared/gpz9kccu1a

http://www.box.net/shared/kgc57rdkmh

Hi Olem,

The first part is ok...just relax a bit and don't rush the words.

I would also suggest you sing it in neutral until you are comfortable with it and get all the pitch required. Build your foundation and then add the distortion to get the sound you are after (the finished product).

This is my opinion and recommendation. :)

Hi Olem,

You have picked a very hard song to sing I would suggest the same as Michele but I personaly would say this is not the song for your voice try a lower key until your range or if your range gets high enough to handle this type of song.

We all love ACDC but singing their songs is another thing try the earlier songs like "problem child" or "whole lot of rosie" but keep trying well done.

Martin :cool:

The sound of your voice in that clip (the latter clip, obviously), is actually surprisingly similar to Brian Johnson. Not bad at all! Just keep working on it and it will sound better and better. However, what was a bit distracting was that you were usually singing completely different notes than in the original song and the rythm was also often off. I don't know if that was intentional or not. God knows that it's tough to sing that extremely high. The song begins on a freakin' E5 for crying out loud. But it sounds like you should be able to do this one day, with enough work. Maybe you could do another take, an octave lower, without grit, just for the fun of it and we'll see if you can be more pitch accurate and in rythm? Without knowing if you were intentionally changing the melody or not, it's a bit hard to proceed trying to help you. And for the record, I'm not qualified to help you, as I'm not a vocal coach. But after having been on this forum for a while, I feel you'd get somewhat similar responses from other people here. At least I think so :)

Thanx alot for your responses. Seventh Fear: Do you mean high range with grit, because i can sing a G5 in full voice but i don´t think i can do it with grit. Jonpall: Hehe, you are right, i am alot off pitch. It was a bit of a hasty work, the main purpose was to practise mixing twang with grit but i wasn´t off pitch on purpose. The rhythm was another problem i had on this song, trying to add distortion and concentrating on this made me often be off rhytm.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the tone. Pitch problems can be fixed with time. One of the best times I had was when I recorded "Highway to Hell" and specifically tried to not sound like Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. Instead, I concentrated on pure tones and someone said it sounded like Justin Hawkins from the Darkness.