First 2-song gig as singer :D

• TMV World Legacy Member

hey everyone...

performed a 2 song set for my office people last sunday at our new headquarters...these are full of mistakes...I was quite nervous as this is my first gig as a singer (previously sang 1 song as a guitarist in 2008)... but I had a fun time and the crowd had fun too....

hope you guys can give me some pointers!

A hindi rock song from a bollywood movie 'Rock On'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IpNpqMEk8

Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooRutMBf5Co

Ofcourse, these are not the toughest songs in the world to sing but i wanted to take small steps and also make sure the crowd enjoyed so picked popular numbers...

eager to hear anything from you guys!

regards

Ashique M. Fahim

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

99% of the time, you seem to be singing just fine, very well in fact. And your stage presence isn't too shabby either, especially considering how inexperienced you are. I think it's time you post some clips of yourself, preferably without any backing instruments, where you FAIL at something (in your opinion). That could prove very helpful to you because people here could give you pointers on stuff you haven't yet mastered. Then you could get to that next level. I can say that you might want to work on reducing your accent if you're gonna be singing in English a lot. It's not a strong accent but it could be enough to bother some listeners out there. Clearly spoken words with attitute and on pitch might be the most important things singers should try to accomplish, IMO. That last high scream in your first clip sounded great! You should do one of these every now and then - you could hear the audience's reaction! :)

99% of the time, you seem to be singing just fine, very well in fact. And your stage presence isn't too shabby either, especially considering how inexperienced you are. I think it's time you post some clips of yourself, preferably without any backing instruments, where you FAIL at something (in your opinion). That could prove very helpful to you because people here could give you pointers on stuff you haven't yet mastered. Then you could get to that next level. I can say that you might want to work on reducing your accent if you're gonna be singing in English a lot. It's not a strong accent but it could be enough to bother some listeners out there. Clearly spoken words with attitute and on pitch might be the most important things singers should try to accomplish, IMO. That last high scream in your first clip sounded great! You should do one of these every now and then - you could hear the audience's reaction! :)

Jonpall, thanks a lot for your compliments...coming from you, they are big to me! Right now I still have some self awareness issues left (it's in my psych...trying to get rid of it slowly) so am taking small steps...I will post something the way you mention soon when am ready...one thing about the accent is it probably will stay becuz english is not my first language...and you are the first one to point this out...I will look deeper into this and consult with some of my american friends and try to fix it...

funny thing about the high scream...lol...I didn't plan to do that...I just went for it in the heat of the moment and suddenly realised there was the CEO of our company along with our senior people sitting in front row....lol...and I immediately cut it short hahahaha...

thanks again man, i really appreciate it.

Ashique M Fahim

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

Hey, Kalapoka. I thought you sounded just fine. You hit all the right notes that I could and you had some problematic acoustics to deal with in that hall or luncheon room or whatever it was. And yet, you were still on key, with a free and easy voice with a clean, pure tone. I didn't really notice a problem with your accent. Nor is having some accent a detriment. Klause Meine of Scorpions not only sings with a german accent but some of the lyrics are structered with german syntax. Their hit song, "I want to belong for you" is phrased exactly how you say it in german, which is "Ich wuensche fur dich belongen" (yes, I studied german at one time, per part of my heritage.) What I hear is that you speak english correctly, which is often the case. Many singers sing without accent.

You have great stage presence. You may have been nervous but I didn't see it. Well done.

Maybe, sometime, you can return me the favor and see what you think of my submissions.

Hey, Kalapoka. I thought you sounded just fine. You hit all the right notes that I could and you had some problematic acoustics to deal with in that hall or luncheon room or whatever it was. And yet, you were still on key, with a free and easy voice with a clean, pure tone. I didn't really notice a problem with your accent. Nor is having some accent a detriment. Klause Meine of Scorpions not only sings with a german accent but some of the lyrics are structered with german syntax. Their hit song, "I want to belong for you" is phrased exactly how you say it in german, which is "Ich wuensche fur dich belongen" (yes, I studied german at one time, per part of my heritage.) What I hear is that you speak english correctly, which is often the case. Many singers sing without accent.

You have great stage presence. You may have been nervous but I didn't see it. Well done.

Maybe, sometime, you can return me the favor and see what you think of my submissions.

Hey Ronws! thanks a lot for the kind words!!!

Fahim

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good!

My biggest suggestion (from the first video) would be to wait to put the microphone back until the song is actually over. Otherwise the ending loses a bit of energy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sheepdog!!!

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

• 2 weeks later...

hey kalapoka!

sorry for late reply, I was taking some time off from singing and all that stuff, trying to get my mood back :)

don't take it too serious, but I think you lied at us!

this doesn't seem like it's your 1st gig as a singer, the 1st thing I thought was "his stage presence got my attention", so while listening I read the postings other people here wrote and it seems I'm not the only one who noticed this

I don't know the 1st song, so it's hard for me to tell if there are any mistakes but then I watched Summer of 69 and well, you shouldn't worry about anything but continue singing and since you had fun on stage it would be a waste not doing this :D

noticed the crowd? they were not bored but sang along and I guess that's the best thing that can happen!

I'm no vocal pro as you might know but I didn't hear anything odd or something that would have hurt my ears, so yeah, do more like that :)

at least you're on a stage in front of people and not hiding in a room behind a microphone like me :D

Hey Nik! Thanks for the compliments...well, not to sound too braggy, but yeah, I agree with the stage presence thing :D ... I am quite proud of that, and I've always had that presence from my 'only guitar' playing days....but don't thing it came easy...like every thing else, that was also self-taught and it took some practicing in my bedroom, in front of the mirror and on top of my bed as a stage :D

But there are some issues in the singing there where I definitely cringe upon hearing myself, some notes falling flat out of tune, some coming out quite thin and whiny etc. Also, I would love to add more powerful songs than Bryan Adams (...um but mr. adam's songs always gets the crowd going and also is a chick attractor....so yeah, tough choice!)

But Nik, from what I heard and saw from your youtube channel, YOU also need to come out from that bedroom asap. May I suggest a step by step method - first hold a small concert for your friends and family in your living room/patio or in your house in general. Have food and drink available, let people enjoy at least a 30-45 minute set of your singing. You have a mic & studio monitors - just set them up in the common area where you are going to hold that 'Mini Nik concert' :D.

I am seriously suggesting this man, it will help!!!

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

Hehe Fahim ^^

you know, it's easy dreaming about that, but doing it is so hard :)

what you say about whiny or flat notes ... you as the singer always heard that, more than other people do.

one day I like a new try I recorded, the next day I hear so many mistakes and "wrong" sounding notes that I want to turn back time and not publish it ... lol

I always say "if other people laugh about it why don't they try singing it and we'll see", but this doesn't always help ...

and if I imagine myself singing in front of a mirror ... hahaha :lol: I even had a hard time recording some of my youtube videos ^^

Trust me Nik, you can let those emotions control you and keep you locked up for the next 100 years, or you can take control of your emotions and face the music, go out and perform. Choice is yours mate.

STOP IT AND GET ON YOUR ASS TO PERFORM IN FRONT OF YOUR FOLKS!!!!!!!! Come on!!!

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

Hey kalapoka,

I listened to your summer of 69 version and liked your singing. If I'm not mistaken you have twang and a bit of raspiness from time to time (if the quality of the recording's not playing tricks on me).

I am not so sure it's the easiest song in the world but you you managed just fine. I bet if you were concentrated on just that, you would have done much better.

Waiting for your next sample, hopefully one were your voice will be loud and clear