Still loving you - by The Scorpions (a capella)

Rate this topic

Hi, here I was using this song as a basis to practise singing around the male passagio, with a type of sound that some people might call curbing, others might call mix and some would just call it Klaus:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22628675/Still_loving_you_-_training.mp3

Note that I'm not attempting any type of grit here (not that there is much of it in the original song). I'm just trying to master that type of singing, i.e. mix/curbing/tenor-singing. Do you guys think my technique there is somewhat correct or not? (I know that not every note is perfect.) Just wondering, because I've been training with that type of sound a lot and if it sucks, that sucks.

There were some really good moments in there dude! I like where you sing "so strong that I can't get THROUGH" The word through had a really good sound to it. I think you're on the right track for sure but I'm no expert when it comes to actual technique.

I think you sang it stronger than Klaus Meine. In the original version, his is more nasal, with a full head voice but "wasting air" which pulls back on the volume and gives him the rasp he was going for, whereas you were belting in mixed voice, a testament to you being a natural tenor, at least in sound, and giving it a sonic blast. That is, you were singing properly and fully resonated. It is Klaus who may have been using the crying resonance to reach that range at the soft volume he was creating for the song.

For the fun of it, I'm gonna post 2 more acapella tracks here, Sweet child o' mine and Highway to hell. Later I want to take a shot of them with backing tracks. I didn't want to flood the forum with too many threads so I'm posting them here.

In Sweet child, I'm aiming for constant twang, constant thin folds (which means light sound color), constant rasp (which Axl normally does but incidentally, not so much in this song, but I wanted to do it anyway) and a fairly high volume which only comes from the twang and not the thickening of the folds.

I do a similar thing in the latter half of Highway to hell, where I sing it with grit, but in the first half, I sing it clean and with a slightly higher palate and lower larynx. So in no case here am I trying to sound exactly like Axl or Bon.

The sound on these clips still bothers me a bit, because I always want a thicker sound, but I've come to realize that Axl and those guys actually have a thinner sound going on than many people think. Also, when you mix those type of vocals with the rest of the instruments, it doesn't sound as thin, even though it might sound thin all by itself. But I realize there's tons of room for improvement. Here they are:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22663071/Sweet_child_-_training_mln_with_grit_in_Eb.mp3

http://www.box.net/shared/hk6335fnvb