The frustrated belter...

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I've already posted about this today, but now I'm hoping that someone could give some helpful critique on my singing in two different styles. Gospel and jazz.

Though gospel music is in my blood, jazz became my biggest passion particularly because of it's diversity and fusion of all musical styles - and because it was not a "belt-dominant" style which I thought my voice was better suited for.

I still am discovering new things about my singing ability, but I would like to hear some thoughts from a more progressive thinking community of vocal coaches and singers about what they think is going on. I'm hoping to gain further insight into my own voice and thus being able to help my students more. Thanks again for any comments! - Michele T. :)

Richard Smallwood's "Angels" (gospel)

Stevie Wonder's "Where Were You When I Needed You?" (jazz)

The gospel link kept throwing me to the login page but the jazz link went right to that one. And I liked it. Your voice has the velvety smoothness of Roberta Flack and the range of Sarah Vaughan. You even have some of that Sarah edge and sensibility, yet it's all your own. I also like your transitions from full tone to falsetto and back, again. I think, in opera, it's called sotto voce.

One of my prize items is an original ceramic pressing of "Lady Sings the Blues" by Billie Holliday. You make me think of that and I could easily see you as a modern torch singer, as Rod Stewart has become these days. I would say keep on with what you've get, get yourself recorded and start selling albums. Don't bother with meat grinders like American Idol or other "talent manufacturing" mills. You have a professional sound.

Thanks for the advice, ronws. I appreciate the "modern torch singer" description because it continues to help me mold a brand for myself. And I like your term - the "talent manufacturing" mills. :lol:

I'm finishing up on my second album right now. We released some of the tracks it digitally last fall, but I'm still trying to work up a buzz about it. I do plan to just keep recording and promoting myself - and hopefully get some momentum going with my thing...

I'm not sure why the other link didn't work, but here's a link my Facebook page with the gospel song on it:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michele-Thomas/43260405644#!/video/video.php?v=1215040702664&subj=743445943

Thanks again! Hope to connect again with you soon! - M.

You and some of the other singers here already have talent and the ability to be making records. It just takes a little push. But I see that you are already out there. I listen to all types of music and I think there is definitely space out there for you.

what does 'modern torch singer' mean?

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

Modern because the lyrics and melody are contemporary, rather than from the 1930s or 40s. Torch singer because many of the songs are of unrequited love or love gone astray, where the singer, as the solitary actor in the story of the song, still carries a torch for the loved one. It's from an old american phrase "to carry a torch" which is to hold onto a love or still love someone or something long after it seems such a relationship is is useless or none-forthcoming.

Ergo, modern torch song singer.