#1 Snejk - I'd Die For You (Place Vendome)

Rate this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwPrhjZIGQ

I just got home and recorded this while unpacking, I tried to record outside on my way home but too windy ;/

Anyway, this song is a testament to my truly not being a tenor. This song goes higher but in order for me to manage the "oh-oo-oh" before "baby, I'd die for you" I need to take a breathier approach or my voice cracks. If I do it overdrive, yeah, it cracks even worse at the narrow "oo".

Anyway. I decided to start being more active on the boards, hoping to improve my voice.

So, what do you guys think?

you crack while you overdrive ooo because it's not a vowel you overdrive on, rather a heldback pne. this has nothing to do with your fach, you sound like a tenor to me if thats your normalspeakingvoice your singing in. your voice is light and agile and you manage the middleregister with ease, im nowhere near that skill.

edit: oh and youve got a epic voice, forgot to say that in the first post ;)

bra jobbat! som fan :P

Tack..

Yeah, that's my dilemma... I can't overdrive the vowels... But that begs the question, how can I sing loud and full "oo" or "ee" notes without resorting to a falsetto/head-coordination..

My highest falsetto notes (As you know in Sweden, we call it falsetto, regardless of breathiness or not) are kinda low in pitch (G over tenor C, G# if I scream), I've heard your screams and I would trade my entire voice for what you got, as well as that whistle you have, ANY day of the week... EVERYONE's got a middle register, and you can train that. But not everyone got the extremes, either high or low... ;)

Big thanks anyway :)

ok now im gonna take this in swedish cause it will make it alot easyer for me to explain to snejk. So if you get superintresed i will try to translate if you ask ;)

Okej nu ska vi se om jag kan förklara detta, för det känns som du är lite fel ute :P låter som en redig tenorkvalla du har på G där vilket är sjukt bra, saken är den att du skall inte overdriva ooo, det är ingen som gör det på en ren ooo vokal för det gör att rösten blir ocentrerad.

Om du lyssnar på vilka vokaler du lutar dig mot i klippen så är det nästan uteslutande oooo och iiii. detta tyder på att du drar mot halvmetalliskklang i detta klippet, vilket är jäkligt bra då det är en av de svårare sakerna att bemästra i sång så det är kanon ;) även det som säljer skivor.

om du skall powra sådana där toner så föreslår jag att du lutar rösten mot Eh och Oh och använder lite mer twang, då kommer du få den kraften du vill ha lättare.(detta är en helt annan coordination, om du lyssnar på martin på detta forumet så är han sjukt duktigt på detta)

Det jag försöker säga dig nu är coordinationen du använder i det här klippet är kanon och du sjunger det rent tekniskt precis som man skall sjunga med den.

Då är det bättre att du ändrar inställning istället då det är säkrare :D

vokalen eee går att sjunga med fullkraft, men då måste man verkligen närma sig twangad häxsound, tänk mer dio så är du rätt nära på hans topptoner. :P

Så, om något verkar oklart i detta nu så fråga på är rätt trött så mina formuleringar är inte topp notch:P

Nej alla har inte ett mittenregister det är min stora bane ;)

G/Giss över tenorC är inte pjåkigt ska du veta och det går visst att träna upp, det är ganska enkelt och mindless jobb om man verkligen vill. Det tar lite tid, men om du menar att du skulle byta bort hela din röst mot det så kan det lätt vara värt att investera 4 minuter om dagen till detta. Jag har en polare som är bas(marcus på detta forum) som inte hade en ton över tenorC i sin röst inräknat falsett. Han tar sopran C nu och ibland högre om han piper, det handlar om att träna ihärdigt och på precis det du vill bli bra på. Som sagt du har ett Giss, prova att du varje dag sjunger upp till den tonen.

Du börjar från mitten C och går ton för ton upp till Gisset, repetera så du har sjungit upp till gisset minst 5-6 ggr håll klangen lätt men fega inte och tänk gnäll:P. Gör nu detta varje dag 5 ggr i veckan vila helger, jobba med twang.

gör du så kommer falsetten att expandera, i början kom jag på B över tenor C, nu går jag upp till E över sopranC i falsetten.

Visslan är bara en gimmick och den funkar inte om man vill använda den live om man sjunger rock som jag gör ;)

Användningsområde: jävlas med hundar typ :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwPrhjZIGQ

I just got home and recorded this while unpacking, I tried to record outside on my way home but too windy ;/

Anyway, this song is a testament to my truly not being a tenor. This song goes higher but in order for me to manage the "oh-oo-oh" before "baby, I'd die for you" I need to take a breathier approach or my voice cracks. If I do it overdrive, yeah, it cracks even worse at the narrow "oo".

Anyway. I decided to start being more active on the boards, hoping to improve my voice.

So, what do you guys think?

Snejk: I'll be very direct. While I like this casual, lightly-registered sound for your mid voice, I can hear that quite often your glottal closure is not firm, and there is no appreciable amount of twang. If you want to sing up top with power, you need to address both of these, so that your true, clear upper voice appears.

I wish I could have written that in Swedish :-)

From the tonality, breathy or not, which I think was from moving around and unpacking, I think you are a tenor, so I must disagree with you. You are a tenor. A break or crack is usually just a case of rough transition in resonance. And, being here, you will get plenty of work on fixing that. As you said, you didn't do the higher parts so that you wouldn't crack. But I would like to hear you do the higher parts, crack or not. You have a lovely voice. I don't ever use the word lovely in conjunction with talking about another guy but I will make an exception in this case. Keep doing what you are doing and don't be afraid of a little more twang or crying, if that's what it takes to transition to the higher notes. I have been finding that using the bridging techniques offered here do not take away from your timbre or sound quality but simply allow you to carry your unique voice to a range that you need to accompish what you are trying to accomplish.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post. I think you did well to sing it at the volume that you did. This allowed a sweet expression (there I go again with the flowery words) that might have been lost if you hit it like a metal singer. See if you can keep this edition going.

Yeah your right steven, but i dont think i agree with the glottalclosure, I think he prettymuch sings in what CVT calls curbing and SS calls mixedvoice, and evts cry. If you listen to the start of each phrase you can her how he closes the folds using a cry. What i basicly told him in my post above was to choose from the powervowels OH EH if he wanted to overdrive those notes instead of leaning towards ooo and ii as you can hear if you listen to the clip :P

Edit: there is no true, or untrue voice:P It's only this sound or that sound...

Tack för tipsen Jens! Jag kan komma högre med en annan typ av falsett, men den saknar kraft och så fort jag tar i med stödet så spricker den, oavsett hur lite jag än tar i... Jag har aldrig riktigt förtstått twangen, eller "halvmetallisk" et cetera :) Saknar en hel del teori I suppose!!

Steven; Glottal closure? Is that they same as keeping it a bit "unbreathy"? I keep it a bit breathy because it allows me to reach higher notes... It's something I discovered not even a year back... Prior to that I always sung more "closed" and "powerful" with my best song to perform being "Anthem" from Chess.. But, for non-overdrive vowels that kind of singing makes my voice crack... Notes like "ee" and oo" cracks at F before tenor C for example... Thanks to this breathiness I can now sing lighter and higher (though, still not at all high)

I would also like to point out that I'm very confident in my diaphragm support... It's one of the few things I feel I got down...

But I would really, REALLY love to get to know more about twang... I read that other thread about examples, the "witch cackle" et cetera... But... I don't want to sound cackle-ish or whiny... I want to sound... clean... :P

Am I totally not getting the point here? I tend to be a bit daft, my apologies :3

bara för att du twangar kommer du inte låta som en häxa eller gnällspik, utan snarare så är det en övning för att isolera de muskler som ger din röstbärighet, möjlighet till att skrika samt öka volymen. Twang är även mycket röstvänligt då det bildas ett baktryck i halsen ansatsröret förlängs och tunnas ut vilket gör att stämbanden har lättare att jobba.

Oftast kan man separera rätt klart på klangfärg och twang. Twang är röstens heliga gral.

adda mig på msn så kan du skicka lite klipp kanske jag kan ge dig nå vettigt tips angående falsetten: Jens_86_johansson@hotmail.com

Note that if you don't want the ee's and the oo's to sound too "shouty" when you're getting close to the male high C, which will happen if you modify them to Eh (as in "stay") and Oh (as in "so"), you can also try to modify the ee to Ih (as in "sit") and the oo to Uh (as in "hungry"). I would suggest you'd use those vowels instead. In fact, when you're singing, high with medium to a bit loud volume, using mostly the vowels Ih, Uh and and O (as in "woman") is something I really recommend (in CVT terms, that would be the mode they call curbing).