Looking for feedback...

Rate this topic

Please be gentle:) Please check my singing out at www.myspace.com/1350rocks This was an original project that I was in. The recordings are about a year old and I have since moved on to singing covers. I've recently began taking lessons as I had only one prior lesson and read a few books on voice. The audio and video are both live recordings. My personal opinion was that I was pitchy here and there. I am my own worst critic, which I've found to be quite common amongst us vocalists. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks for your time, Josh.

You sounded pitchy here and there but not too much and I don't think it's a deficit in your singing. "Set you Free" was a good song and the guitar was drowning you and nearly everyone else out. At least the drummer had an organic Steven Adler vibe going. This sounded like an early Guns and Roses song. The other thing I think was muddying the waters is that it sounded like you had too much reverb on the mic. You have a good voice, we just need to be able to hear it. Could you submit some stuff of you on a backing track or even an acoustical arrangement of something. I think you were having problems hearing yourself at times, plus whoever recorded this for you could not stop talking and it caused the mic to pick up those other stray sounds.

Thanks ronws. As I remember, we were the opening band of four that night and got the shaft with the pa. I was cupping my ear most of the set so I could hear myself, watching the "sound tech" down beers and chat with members of the "headlining" band. You're right on about the guitar. He plays loud and proud. I'll work on getting something else up soon. I only have an old 4 track analog recorder at home so I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks ronws. As I remember, we were the opening band of four that night and got the shaft with the pa. I was cupping my ear most of the set so I could hear myself, watching the "sound tech" down beers and chat with members of the "headlining" band. You're right on about the guitar. He plays loud and proud. I'll work on getting something else up soon. I only have an old 4 track analog recorder at home so I'll see what I can come up with.

I, too, have a 4 track analog with no way to convert it to digital. So, these days, I'm using a standard desk mic for computer and I use Audacity software, which is freeware. If I can ever afford it, I think I could make leaps and bounds simply by having a decent mic.

Sounds actually very good! You are singing mostly in the passagio area in overdrive. This can be hard to sustain for long periods of time. If anything you might want to try curbing with a little twang in this area to get similar power wth less effort. Maybe you already can do this? Good luck with the lessons and keep us posted!