I Remember You

Rate this topic

Here it is. I mentioned it in another thread. I can play this song live and it sounds fine. But I'm having challenge trying to record it well. Parts of this song are a passagio for me. But I think I'm going to keep experimenting with it. The guitar part is a little messed up but I was experimenting with the song. It's not in my normal set of songs that I practice. I recorded it again, today, after getting home and having a shower. As I mentioned in the other thread, my job as an electrician is very physical. Climbing up and down ladders, lots of walking, wearing about 20 lbs of tools, carrying pipe, supplies. And, oh yeah, it's almost 100 degrees in the building that we are remodelling. We literally sweat for 8 hours. So, as usual, I come home, worn out. Imagine the exertion you might do on a stage under hot lights in the summer. And do that for 8 hours.

When I make a wmv, I have to have picture in order for moviemaker to make it a movie. So, I choose different pics I have collected. This one is one of the couple I have used elsewhere. A friend in North Carolina does many things including caretaking of wild animals in medical rehab. She has cared for a white bengal tiger. In this pic, it is one of the gray wolves she was caring for. The scale of the pic is misleading. That wolf, a male, is nearly 30 inches to the shoulder and weighs 120 lbs.

Anyway, "I Remember You" from Skid Row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowIqm-eNWk

Hey Ron

listening to it now. Honestly it sounds off at places. May be you could bring this 1 key down? Bach is too good and hits stupifying high notes in the choruses. Maybe you could transpose the song to fit your current range.

keeping it honest, no offense bro. take care.

That's fine, Fahim. I think it sounds off, too, and I can't figure out why, and that's why I didn't want to upload it. But you guys asked for it because I could be wrong. I was thinking some songs are best with certain voices. But I could be wrong. Any and every voice should be able to sing any and every song, regardless.

Ron, do you have any vocal instructionals like the Four Pillars, Raise your voice, CVT, SLS, or something? Do you have a vocal coach? I'm asking because I know you love to sing a big variety of songs but I can't recall you having said that you own any instructional. I think that would help you a lot. It helps anyone, in fact. There were good bits in that take of yours, actually, it wasn't all that bad, but some spots were not as good. Just get your self some good instructional program and/or a vocal coach, especially if you want to take your singing to a next level and maybe have some fun again with a band (you're not in one at the moment, right?). Have a nice day!

Hey there Ronws,

You're getting better! I would recommend you in this song to use more curbing, you seem to switch to neutral quite early and it can be abit thin unless you twang like mad and/or go higher than the high tenor C. Curbing that high is hard, but I definitely believe anyone can learn it. I just look at myself that had no idea how to curb a year ago, and now I can do it.

BUT! Then again this is my personal preference, if you wanna stick with neutral make sure that you train on the parts were you go low with neutral and then suddenly ascend to a higher note because I think those were the places that could be improved the most.

I honestly value and greatly appreciate the advice. I thought of curbing, too. I had an epiphany on the way to work this morning. What has been hampering me in this is that I am singing too high in chest. I took a cue from my own description of being tired and straining. I was singing it on the way to work this morning (a capella, I don't play guitar and drive at the same time, especially as I have a car with a standard transmission). And it seemed effortless. I looked at what I did different. Well, for one thing, I used more head than chest, by means of curbing and some twang on the upper end. So, I have re-recorded it, today and I will upload today's version. I still overload the mic even though I was able to reduce my singing volume by resonating better and having a better tension on the folds. It still blasts the mic but I was more comfortable doing it.

I would love to have a coach. Believe it or not, I'm not one of those people who thinks you can learn everything from one or two books. One of my previous jobs was teaching electrical work to disadvantaged students and I noticed a discrepancy between the book series and "how we electricians really do it."

I would love to have the 4 pillars material, as well. I am impressed with all that you guys do here and I like that Robert Lunte walks the walk, as well as talking the talk. From what I can see, he is the real deal, legitimate.

And I work through a temp service for tradesmen. This economy stinks and this is the best I can get. And, sometimes, it's a week or two between assignments even though I look for jobs elsewhere. But, believe it or not, not all of these companies are actually about making money. I know, that shocked me, too. I am a moneymaker with a wide variety of experience. Fortunately, on the assignment I am on now, the job boss (electrical superintendent) is relying on me more and more as he can see, of all the people on the crew, I have a clue and I know what I am doing. That doesn't mean they will hire me or even keep me on after this assignment project ends on July 30.

Suffice it to say that the money I saved up on the last assignment got spent just paying bills, no extras. Last year, I went completely flat broke, which hasn't happened to me in 25 years. Part of the problem is that I have so much experience and I have a master license. So, people don't want to hire me, just based on that. They want an experience, licensed guy at helper wages. Right now, I'm worried about paying the electric bill and the phone and internet bill is now overdue. And I have to, above all, make the car payment. Without a car, I can't get to work. I live in a rural town and consider myself lucky that work is only 27 miles away, right now.

It would be tempting to see if Steven coaches voice. He only lives 40 miles from me. In Texas, that's almost next door. He is aware of the pedagogy here. But really, if I could afford it, I would also love to work with Robert Lunte but I can't afford to go to Seattle.

And I would dearly love to get a decent microphone. Right now, I just have to settle for getting my bills paid. There's talk that we may be getting some overtime, which will help out some, as I expect to cast aside like a used piece of toilet paper when this project winds down. 25 years experience, the biggest license there is, and I am totally expendable and have to keep up with young'ns young enough to be my son.

Today being June 23, Wednesday, I recorded again, watching my air pressure, resonance, and fold tension. I sang this quieter and was more relaxed doing it.

I have deleted the previous version from youtube.

I think it would be great to be in a band. Either one of my own making or part of another band. I haven't auditioned in quite some time. I was auditioning for bands in the 1990's but they wanted someone who sounded like Robert Plant or David Coverdale. I can sing what those guys sing I just don't sound like them. And this mic I use to doesn't reproduce accurately. Some overtones just don't make it. So, I sound like Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) in a can.

One of our good friends, Randy, is a phenomenal guitar player but he is currently playing with a local country music artist but I would like to work with him, some day. I should mention that to our other friend who gets to see him more often than we get to see him.

Ron, I think its absolutely great that you still come home and sing and contribute here after such a hard days work, and with so much going on with the work and economy and everything. It takes an unbelievable amount of mental strength to not give up, or as Jovi says, "tommy's got his 6 string in hock". Respect and admiration for your strength, my friend. Hang in there, things will get better.

Ron, I think its absolutely great that you still come home and sing and contribute here after such a hard days work, and with so much going on with the work and economy and everything. It takes an unbelievable amount of mental strength to not give up, or as Jovi says, "tommy's got his 6 string in hock". Respect and admiration for your strength, my friend. Hang in there, things will get better.

Thank you, Fahim. I consider you a friend and I think it would be great if we could meet, some day, even though we live on opposite sides of the world, literally.

I am also working on another song.

Thank you, Fahim. I consider you a friend and I think it would be great if we could meet, some day, even though we live on opposite sides of the world, literally.

I am also working on another song.

Life has a funny and beautiful way of working out strangely my man. who knows, may be one day we will meet!!! :)

True. One of my friends from high school was a guy named Arun. His family was from New Delhi but I think he was born in America. Funny thing is, he and I were classmates in 1st and 2nd year German.