Is there potential/Feedback please

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey everyone!

I'll provide a link first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDTQZRc2My8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyOfk5pwJvU (edit: added this one aswell just because its another one I think is Ok of me)

I'm posting this link because it's the only song on my channel I've sung when I didn't have a chest infection. There are 5 other songs I've posted but I had a chest infection so they're not really at the best. Even the link above isn't my best, it was when I had just got over my chest infection (and you can still see Im a little off). Also it was done at like 2am in the morning! Sorry, these aren't excuses incase I sound bad, just factors that may contribute to the fact that vocally it's still not my best. I just need real feedback on my voice.

For years I've wanted to be a singer. I never thought I'd be one though because I've doubted my ability to sing (and still do) and I lack confidence in general. I never know whether there is a decent voice there or whether I'm so desperate to become a singer that I'm convincing myself. I've passed me A-Levels in Law, English and Psychology and this September I should be off to to the University I've been accepted into to study Law. However I am thinking of taking a Gap year from studying and instead focusing on my singing and my voice as well as attending Open Mic Nights. Don't get me wrong, in no way am I trying to "get recognised and make it big" in the year I'm planning to take off. Instead I just want to take voice lessons, maybe learn how to play an instrument and attend open mic nights to see what the general reaction is from the public. Ideally I would like to start a professional recording career at the age of 21/22. Im 18 now so I want a good few years to get to know a lot about the industry and to explore my voice and my styles before I try to become a professional singer. I'm aware Im not the best singer in the world, although I do Falsetto easily. That's probably the one thing that sets me apart (you know how people always ask "well what makes YOU stand out?"). I can access my falsetto easily and the highest note I can hit so far is a D6 (which I do hit in my version of Take A Bow, followed by a sustained C#6). My belting isn't great, I have an Ok middle range. The song doesn't really compliment my voice for obvious reasons, the original singer is amazing and it's hard to match that. I write my own songs too. I've wrote 30 songs since last year. 10 of which I think are strong ones, which I could see having on an album should I ever get the chance to make one, 10 which are personal to me, I wrote them for myself but which I would never put on an album cause they aren't the type of songs that sell, and 10 which need major work, or have a good idea or concept but aren't strong enough as a whole. I've worked since I was 12 years old, and not to brag (really, I hate bragging) but I have nearly £10, 000 in my bank account so in the year off Im thinking of taking I could definitely fund voice lessons etc.

I know some people might say "Be a Lawyer, it's easier than getting into the music industry" but I just don't feel my path in life is leading me to that place. I am quite academic. I get good grades and always have done, but in the last year Ive really felt myself being pulled towards the more creative side of me: My singing. I can always go to Uni at a later date. So please give feedback on my voice, again it's not great, but a few questions:

1. Do you see real potential there? With voice lessons, more practising could I get somewhere?

2. What style of music do you think my voice suits?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and give feedback. I appreciate it a lot. I am very aware that the Music Industry is tough, and some people spend all their lives trying to break into it and never do, but I really feel like I've got to atleast try, then I can look back with no regrets.

Hey!

Welcome to the TMV forum.

First of all, your voice: I feel and hear that there IS potential there. You have good control on pitch and sound quite expressive, which are good qualities. You just hit a nice falsettoish high note at 3:56 which sounds very nice. If you take voice lessons with the 'right' teacher, you can definitely go somewhere. 'Right' in your case will mean a teacher that can cover the genre that YOU would like to get better at. I want to be a rock singer so I search out rock voice teachers, you should try to find someone who is good in what you want to learn.

That brings me to the style of music you should go for. Well, THAT you will have to figure out on your own. I am a hardliner about these things - which means that I don't agree about going for the style for which one's voice is suited, rather I would go for something that my HEART wants. For example - my voice right now is not completely suited for rock, I don't have that much natural power, but my heart would not settle for anything different, so I will teach myself or learn from a good teacher how to sign rock and keep at it till I die. So listen to your heart and go for something you LOVE to hear, and you LOVE to sing. That IS the best advice I can give to someone who is taking his first steps in to this merciless industry. DON'T be a sell out, DON'T do something that your heart is not comfortable doing just because the industry wants it or some expert say your voice suits it.

Now your decision to pursue music: A very good one! If I had a chance to take 1 year off, with 25% of that bank balance when I was 18, I would have DEFINITELY done it. You should take the year off, take good vocal lessons, put in a LOT of effort in practicing and perfecting your craft, perform in a 1000 open mics, get criticized, get booed, fall down, pick yourself up, get stronger, learn more and come back with a vengence. This is the perfect time for finding out who you really are. Its great that you know you can get back to law anytime and you get good grades, so you can pick up where you left anytime you want. You can assess how you feel about music after the end of 1 year. So definitely, go for music this year. And it's also great that you wrote 30 songs already. Who knows, one of them can be a massive hit!

But let me also tell you that this line of life needs a LOT of one thing: LOVE for music. Make sure you have that for music and not just following a cool thing. I have been playing guitar in bands from 15 (I am 28 now) and I have never REALLY become BIG in my country. BUT I can never even imagine ONE day without pursuing music. Its a thankless job if you don't MAKE IT, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, welcome to the jungle!

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

Hi SingASong,

I'm new here too but I 2nd kalapoka's answer.

1. I hear the potential in your voice and I bet a bit of formal training will work wonders on your vocal confidence and performance.

2. The way you sung this piece screams pop music to me but again, once you train long enough you'll be able to know the real potential of your voice and

you never now how far a voice can go, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Best,

akarawd

Thanks so much to you both for replying! I really appreciate it, and it's boosted my confidence loads to know that other people hear the potential and support my idea! I feared some people would think turning down a Law course to try my hand at music would be stupid because the Music Industry is such a hard industry to break into. Some spend their whole lives trying to and never do. I'm definitely going for this! This has been the push I've needed, thankyou, both of you! I won't forget that advice you both gave me, really I won't!

I'll definitely find the right vocal coach for my voice, as well as attend open mic nights. The main problem now is not letting my natural shyness stop me. I'm quite shy and reserved but Im hoping that once I work on my voice with a professional and explore it more, I'll be able to do some performances! That's the one thing I'd LOVE to do! Even getting up at an open mic night and performing would be amazing! I want to see people connect with the music and the way I sing it, much more than i'd ever want a career in law! Thanks guys! Good luck with whatever you guys are doing musically! Let's hope one day we can all look back and say that our hard work has been worth it!

Thanks so much to you both for replying! I really appreciate it, and it's boosted my confidence loads to know that other people hear the potential and support my idea! I feared some people would think turning down a Law course to try my hand at music would be stupid because the Music Industry is such a hard industry to break into. Some spend their whole lives trying to and never do. I'm definitely going for this! This has been the push I've needed, thankyou, both of you! I won't forget that advice you both gave me, really I won't!

I'll definitely find the right vocal coach for my voice, as well as attend open mic nights. The main problem now is not letting my natural shyness stop me. I'm quite shy and reserved but Im hoping that once I work on my voice with a professional and explore it more, I'll be able to do some performances! That's the one thing I'd LOVE to do! Even getting up at an open mic night and performing would be amazing! I want to see people connect with the music and the way I sing it, much more than i'd ever want a career in law! Thanks guys! Good luck with whatever you guys are doing musically! Let's hope one day we can all look back and say that our hard work has been worth it!

Hey man, glad I could help! :). I will always give this advice to a younger brother/sister cuz its one mistake I have made when I was younger (chose corporate job over music) and am now regretting it. Someone once said - a poet must write, a musician must make music, and that's the way of the world (or something like this :P) One word of caution though, and you said it yourself - its a very tough industry to break into, and I am still tying after 10 years, so make sure you set your goals according to how much you can give and set expectations on how much you can be happy with. Me, I will be happy if I can regularly perform and bars and concerts and earn a decent living out of my music. I don't REALLY need to buy a Porsche (although I won't complain if I could have one LOL)

Lastly, I would be grateful if you could drop by in any of my music sites (or all of them), join in, and spread of it around to your friends/family. That's the way the new music industry will roll now brother, through social networks :). My youtube channel is kalapoka666 and my other spaces are mentioned below my signature.

Welcome to the music world, friend! Its awful, and you will love it! :)

Cheers!

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

Singasong. I've played guitar since 1974 and have been working on my voice since 1988. And I still have people telling me I need lessons and work, in both. And they may be right. But hitting a wrong note won't stop me. I have been doing electrical work since 1983 and will be doing it a while longer but trust me on this, I will also be singing and may yet make something of a career out of it. None of us are finished products. There are a number of people here with better voices than mine. And yet, they are here, still honing their craft.

So, you will do likewise. Here, elsewhere, whereever. I have a master electrician license. It took me a while to get. It took a number of tries to pass my journeyman's exam. And I passed the master exam on the second try, not the first. As I used to describe it, I am too stupid to quit. But what I mean by that is that if you have a goal, pursue it. The only person that stops you is yourself. Yes, you could be safe and finish your law degree. But pursue what you must do. Mick Jagger was in college for accounting. Duff McKagan went back to school after being in Guns and Roses and finished his business degree. And Jimi Hendrix used to be a sargeant in the US Army. And the singer for the Georgia Satellites mowed lawns for a living. Jewel lived in a van under a bridge. Madonna arrived in New York City with $35 in her pocket. Most of the members of Guns and Roses slept in the storage unit where they kept their gear, from time to time. Either there or on the couch and floor at Slash's mother's house.

Do what you feel you must do. Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead ...

Thanks again everyone! I now have new songs (2 new ones) which I really tried to focus on. I tried "holding" back my voice on them rather than letting it all out and I quite enjoyed it, rather than belting everything all the time! Thanks again to everyone who's replied!