Robert Lunte - "I Can't Make You Love Me" - Bonnie Raitt Tribute

Rate this topic

• Administrator

First time I heard this song. I liked the song and you sure got the voice Robert :)

Oh thanks Pekka!  You're not familiar with this song?  I guess its not a super Iconic hit... but its fairly popular.  But quite lovely actually.  I think everyone has felt this way before, so the song has been a pleasure for me to work on because I feel like I can really get behind it emotionally , I can relate to it... and the dynamics and cadences are very tasty.

Thanks for listening.... glad to hear you liked my interpretation. I like what I did with it as well... its heart felt, musicianship is fairly solid, dynamic and I definitely made it my own compared to the original... there are some real "Rob'isms" in there... anyways, thanks.

This is just the "Rob Demo"... I'll endeavor to take the same vocal tracks and re-mix them with a pro at a real studio.

Would love to hear anyone give it a try...

:grphug:

• Administrator

Thanks Bono... Ya, I guess I put some of that angst windy vibe in there... lol... thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Modulate to higher steps huh?

1). That would mean I would have to tweak the file and its just a Karaoke file, and its not even a WAV file, so if I push it through some key changing app. its going to sound weird and bugged up. With karaoke tracks, there is not a lot you can do with them without them sounding weird... 

2). I could sing it a bit higher, but that would mean that the high part at , "... I will give up this fight...!" at 2:45... which could then become a "bug" to deal with... but good suggestion... thanks!

• Administrator

@ Bono... no I won't!  I like it!

No, don't change ANYTHING, coach ! It sounds great as is.....

This is the first time I can recollect you singing in this genre. I'm wondering if there's ANYTHING you CAN'T sing ??? And yes, I can hear the "Rob'isms" :41:

• Administrator

Thanks Chief... 

Sing "anything"?... C'mon Chief, I have some game, but there are a lot of things that beat me up when I try to sing it... you go too far...

We ALL have some "things" that beat us up, but seriously, thus far I haven't seen anything that you've had any difficulties with. Seriously....

I'd like to see you do some Marillion "covers". I'm sure you've heard of them and their "frontman", Steve Hogarth (aka "h"). h is one of my favorite vocalists - just amazing IMO ! Marillion has been around a long time but I didn't hear about them until around 2008. About the time that we first met....

My chiropractor introduced me to them (or shall I say the band), and immediately I was hooked !!! I started to cover SOME of their tunes and since very few people in the States are familiar with them, our band started to do some of their covers. Granted, there is NO WAY I can do ALL of them as the vocals are sometimes very complex. If I can do some covers, I'd be willing to bet that YOU would do a much better job than myself.

Speaking of our band, it's been "down" for quite some time now. Long story.....

• Administrator

Marillion, yes, great band... love that band... :dizzy:  

Love the textures and dynamics... really PRETTY compositions... this is the kind of band / music I love to sing... lots of theater and heroism... And this album "Seasons End" , which I believe is Hogarth's first album with the band after "Fish" left them... This album is one of those rare albums that every song is great... It is similar to U2's "Joshua Tree"... this is Marillion's "Joshua Tree"... people... go get this album... its great... 

• Administrator

Marillion, yes, great band... love that band... :dizzy:  

Love the textures and dynamics... really PRETTY compositions... this is the kind of band / music I love to sing... lots of theater and heroism... And this album "Seasons End" , which I believe is Hogarth's first album with the band after "Fish" left them... This album is one of those rare albums that every song is great... It is similar to U2's "Joshua Tree"... this is Marillion's "Joshua Tree"... people... go get this album... its great... 

AWESOME, Coach ! Add to that, "Marbles", "Brave", and so many more too numerous to mention !!!

Speaking of "Fish", when you get a moment, check out his recent album - "A Feast of Consequences".

Certainly very moody and emotional. Not what I was expecting from you Rob.  
I can see you put alot of effort into style in this. 

Overall, I didn't like it.  Seems Over-Sold.

• Administrator

LOL!

I didn't put a lot of time into style on this at all... I have sang this song for years and it is a song that I can identify with, thus, I don't have to try to do anything with it... I just need to sing it the way it makes me feel and how I want to express myself with it. This performance was very genuine and real... I'm wasn't trying to sell anything. I couldn't care less if you like it our not.

And yes, I can sing other kinds of songs other then metal.

Here is some Willie Nelson for you...

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/074n8g7zmz9bwm8l0nse

Thanks Pitt...

Nice work. The latest version of I Can't Make You Love Me is definitely an improvement, imo. It's tightened down on a technical level (phrasing, pitching, etc), but your performance sits more naturally with the style of song to my ears without losing your identity as a singer. 

The vowel choices are a bit closer to speech, which works well with the style of song, but there's still enough deviation to sound like you.  The timbre is lightened a bit in weight which works more intuitively to my ears in a ballad format for me.

Plus, you've been singing a lot more lately, right? Actually having time for personal training makes a bit difference. Yeah, nice job, and I do agree with Adolph, that you should take on any style you'd like. People like to box each other into categories and I suppose commercially if you're trying to hit it big in Hollywood, being easily categorized can be a plus, but you're singing for you so you don't need to be known as the 'metal guy, or whatever guy.' You can be "Rob the passionate singer, he sings meaningful songs."

• Administrator

Nice work. The latest version of I Can't Make You Love Me is definitely an improvement, imo. It's tightened down on a technical level (phrasing, pitching, etc), but your performance sits more naturally with the style of song to my ears without losing your identity as a singer. 

The vowel choices are a bit closer to speech, which works well with the style of song, but there's still enough deviation to sound like you.  The timbre is lightened a bit in weight which works more intuitively to my ears in a ballad format for me.

Plus, you've been singing a lot more lately, right? Actually having time for personal training makes a bit difference. Yeah, nice job, and I do agree with Adolph, that you should take on any style you'd like. People like to box each other into categories and I suppose commercially if you're trying to hit it big in Hollywood, being easily categorized can be a plus, but you're singing for you so you don't need to be known as the 'metal guy, or whatever guy.' You can be "Rob the passionate singer, he sings meaningful songs."

Thanks Killer... ya I think its pretty good. 

All my life I never cared what other people thought of me. It is a character trait I have never had to be burdened with. Thank God for that... I am aware that there will be some people that may feel out of their comfort zones hearing me sing a love song,... Sorry, thats your issue, not mine... 

You can be "Rob the passionate singer, he sings meaningful songs."

Precisely... I am proud to sing a sensitive, love song... and a country song and this and that... I am a professional, this is what I should do... and I have clients from all styles that want to hear more then just metal. Hats off to anyone that steps out of their comfort zones and spits in the face of what the limited expectations the world sets for them. 

• 1 month later...

ok thank you for the link

Indeed , and as you would expect it 's worth a visit
beautiful intepretation

I love this mix of clear and his fry (like lizard )

voice distortion is a technique that can bring a lot to the intepretation
especially acute in the style of Janis Joplin or James Brown

his tutorial it's impressive that power in his voice when he rises in the treble
there is the twang for sharp but not too interested

(

only twang ... not)

it was a pleasure to listen