Another shot at Iron Maiden´s "Run To The Hills"

Rate this topic

At my last effort i received some critique that i pulled chest too much for this song . I have been working on that, remade the verses and some parts of the chorus. I have tried to get high curbing or metal like neutral for the chorus and also added some growl :) on the verses. So, what do you think and what could still improve?

Thanx in advance/ Ola

http://www.box.net/shared/n2t1kn89q1

EDIT. The "Run To The Hills" phrase in chorus altered and volume for music.

http://www.box.net/shared/jpu2s65rqi

Excellent tone. I totally love the growl you have in "galloping hard on the plain." I halfway expected you to botch the slides in the middle and at the end but you nailed that dead on. In the chorus "run to the hills" you were just a smidge flat and I think it was because you were still in chest. You have head configuration in the "run for your lives" and are truly on pitch, there. I think if you used that configuration for the first part of the chorus "run for the hills" it would clear that right up. Well done effort. Your energy was great and I could see you performing this song with the same intensity and grandiose movements as Dickinson.

It makes me wish I had covered this song. Your enthusiasm and the power in your voice is inspiring.

You capture some of Bruce's tone, specifically with the growl and with the head configuration in the latter part of the chorus and most especially with the ending slide.

Ok, I don't know the original version, and it's so very far from what I'm used to listen :P

But wow, I think you nailed it.

The low parts of your voice have so much power, and the " fragility " of your " run for your lives " really adds something to it. It's convincing. I want to run for my life when I hear it. You were a bit off the pitch on the " run to the hills " though, as ronws said. Once you've corrected it, it should be great :)

Thanx for your replies, Ron and Ronron and Jonpall. Ron and Ronron, are you related, maybe father and son :)? Jonpall, are there any specific phrases you think of? I can hear that the first phrase in the chorus is a little off pitch and i can also hear that there is a little too much vocal weight in it so i will correct that. By the way, in what keys are the final phrase in the chorus? Do you know that Jonpall?

You have a wicked growly tone in your chest voice dude! I can see that you are starting to learn how to place your voice for the higher parts now too. Have patience and keep practising my friend. You have made some good improvements already. :cool:

I think that you might still be using too much breath pressure on the high stuff. Think of how tiny the vocal folds are and that you only need a small amount of air to actually create those notes. The volume and tone will come from the resonation and twang not by pushing that air flow.

Here's a tip for you... Exhale all your air and then only take a short tiny breath in. Now sing the line "Run for you're liiiiives". Did you get the feeling that it was easier or less of a strain? Hopefully the answer will be yes. Now you'll try to remember that sensation every time you sing that part of the chorus. I'm bad for trying to breath in way more air than I need when I sing stuff like this too so I understand what you are experiencing. My mental image now when I sing is that my voice is an instrument and I'm "playing" my vocal folds. You wouldn't blow into a flute with all your might to reach higher notes and you don't need to do so with your voice.

Keep on rocking!!!

Hi! I think it would do you good to practise ONLY certain phrases over and over instead of the whole song. Do you ever do that? Cheers!

Hi Olem,

First I wanted to say, that I liked your cover, and though you had improved it using some of the advice that folks from the forum had given you.

I wanted to echo Jonpall, it is often helpful for me to focus on a part of a song and get it down, before putting the entire thing together, it also makes it easier for the folks giving you constructive criticism to focus on the same section. Some of the sections were really good, some seemed to me that they might benefit from a bit more work.

Finally, I noticed that there is a new guy in the forums typing "\m/" for folks that covered metal songs well, and I wanted to be the first to type it to you so..... \m/! (I think these are supposed to be an emoticon version of metal horns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns )

Doug

Thanx for your answers, guys. Snax: Thanx alot for the tip, the breath pressure is a fine line for me, i´m working hard on it, it´s very easy to either run into falsetto (if you put too little effort) or pulling chest. Jonpall: I am practising phrases and i was focusing epecially on the chorus. Douglas and Jonpall: Are there any particular phrases you think of?

Take care/ Ola

Olem, mostly the chorus, which is the most difficult one. Take a single word and sing it over and over, then do it to another word, then do it to a couple of words, then to some scentence, then another scentence, then the whole chorus over and over, then the whole song, etc. Create your own infinite variations of exercises you can build upon this song, and any song for that matter.

I think that you might still be using too much breath pressure on the high stuff. Think of how tiny the vocal folds are and that you only need a small amount of air to actually create those notes. The volume and tone will come from the resonation and twang not by pushing that air flow.

Here's a tip for you... Exhale all your air and then only take a short tiny breath in. Now sing the line "Run for you're liiiiives". Did you get the feeling that it was easier or less of a strain? Hopefully the answer will be yes. Now you'll try to remember that sensation every time you sing that part of the chorus. I'm bad for trying to breath in way more air than I need when I sing stuff like this too so I understand what you are experiencing. My mental image now when I sing is that my voice is an instrument and I'm "playing" my vocal folds. You wouldn't blow into a flute with all your might to reach higher notes and you don't need to do so with your voice.

Keep on rocking!!!

Snax, I think this bit of advice is a little gem. I tried it out most of the day and was pleasantly surprised how much it helped. Particularly on extended phrases that have a jump into higher pitches with good volume. I practiced these type sections with what felt like about ¼ tank of air compared to what I would normally use and was able to stay way better in balance. It was surprising just how long and with power it was possible to do these phrases. So now I’m kind of focusing on filling my lungs with the least amount of air needed and still be able to sing the phrase. I think this will help recalibrate my breath management. Thanks man, good insight!

I'm really glad it helped you! I used the very same technique today when I recorded the song "Devils Child" by Judas Priest. There's a few parts in that song that really need you to focus and control your air pressure and amount of release. The more I've spend time on these forums the better a singer I've become. You ALL rock! :cool:

This is for Ronron.

You're too kind with me ! :D

And I can't say I dislike it, but I'm not a fan of it either. The music's a bit too heavy/aggressive for my tastes.

The billions of fans screaming and the loud music prevent me from hearing the nice chorus as acutely as I would like. But the guys are good !