Bernyberns

the four pillars of singing
New to The Four Pillars of Singing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm not all that good at introductions but I been singing for a while without any type of training other then mimicing my influences until i ran across KTVA. i started to train ken's method for about 2 years. my voice grew but i couldn't bridge  my voices to save my life. i always had Mr. Lunte's program in mind but money and determination to breakthrough with KTVA kept me from purchasing it. I finally picked up pillars and so far i love it..Mr. Lunte is great and easy to connect with. i was emailing him for a while until he advised i post on the forum so everyone else can chime in. 

bridging is still an issue for me. when it comes to resonant tracking i feel i get the buzzing and if i try to keep it thru my break my voice just craps out.. if i lighten it i can get thru but i lose a lot of buzz. i have some samples of me doing octave sirens. i recorded these today. i got all the way up to f4. after that i felt like i was pushing so i stopped. I'm willing to bet I'm carrying to much weight up.

http://picosong.com/uz3J/  I'm going to have to set up a sound cloud account..but i used this for now

2 people like this

Welcome! I'm fairly new to this too so I can't really give informed advice. But I will say, keep at it. Bridging and connecting is literally the holy grail of singing. Nearly everything you do in 4Pillars is specifically designed to help you bridge the passagio. But it isn't an overnight thing. It might take months to hear results and longer still to be able to bridge seamlessly. Right now it probably feels like you're sitting on your own for an hour making stupid ugly noises that sound nothing like singing, but keep at it and the benefits will come later.

2 people like this

I may be speaking wrongly, but I would go ahead and lighten for now, even if the buzz is less. The buzz is still a guide and you will get it back, and then some.

Work the program. It is not uncommon, early in training, to make sounds that seem odd to you. And you do not hear yourself as others hear you. And not just physically but psychologically, as well.

2 people like this

Thanks for the replies. I know learning to sing takes time. I got the patience and dedication for it. I just want any and all the feedback I can get. I'm hoping many others would lend their feedback and guidance.

2 people like this

Hi Berny

This is the first chance I have had to get in here and respond. I have literally been fighting fires all day in regards to keeping this forum working properly and then about 5 hours of work on the new "4Pillars" system that is coming out in a few weeks. (Don't worry, Ill let you in the new system... it is going to be incredible). In any case, thanks for taking your requests for help to this forum. You will get more value here and its great to share. Now then...

1. how long have you had pillars?

2. have you read the book?

3. have you watched all the lecture videos?

4. have you started working on The Foundation Building Routine?!

5. Are you studying the onsets?

6. Are you studying the acoustic modes?

if i try to keep it thru my break my voice just craps out.. if i lighten it i can get thru but i lose a lot of buzz.

Thats ok if you lose the buzz a little bit as you bridge early on. Recognize that this is just another form of the "lift up / pull back" technique. Do this for a few weeks to shut down the constrictors. Worry about maintaining a full buzz through the vocal break in about 4 weeks, after you have shut down the constrictors.

Listening to your Sample:

- nice recording for a practice sample...

- nice resonance.

- Sounds like your working on the Quack & Release onset... however... you are grinding a bit. This is a bit too heavy... LIGHTEN THE MASS!!!!  FLOAT, STOP GRINDING...

- When you get to the top notes your resonance is really pretty... you have a nice voice.

- 1:50 - Love the vowel here an very nice, dampened "eh/a" blend... are you working the eh < > a formula?  Sounds like it... great!

- 2:55 - Beautiful... I really like it.

- 3:39 - a little heavy.. tune in more ae/a ... was a bit too dark... 

- 4:06 - there you go!!! nice ( eh/a ) Edging vowels!!!!!!

Wow, i thought that was pretty good. Nice work!!!

Be careful not to grind... you should lighten your mass a bit... 

Also after working on these Q&R onsets...  be sure to work on W&R, D&R and A&R onsets as well... by listening to your voice, my gut tells me, you can do the resistance training onsets as well and start working on your belting as long as you don't get pushy.

Work on some of the workouts deeper in the program... and  SING SONGS ... always divide your practice time between training and singing.

Very good... really glad others got a chance to share in that... 

1 person likes this

Robert is right. Your octave sirens are very good. Obviously as you approach the passagio it will get harder to do it seamlessly but the onsets are designed to make that easier. Your Q&R is very good. Have you tried wind and release? I don't know what stage you are at but W&R is incredibly helpful for both learning to bridge and mastering the different vocal modes. Q&R involves lots of compression while W&R involves a lot less compression and a falsetto mode. So transitioning from Q&R to W&R is vital for training to bridge and training vocal modes.

2 people like this

So transitioning from Q&R to W&R is vital for training to bridge and training vocal modes.

Hey Serotonin, great job!  This is insightful, it seems you have been training the TVS techniques. You would have to, in order to realize this. Alternating between the two extremes of compression, Q&R and W&R is a great routine.  

2 people like this

Hey Serotonin, great job!  This is insightful, it seems you have been training the TVS techniques. You would have to, in order to realize this. Alternating between the two extremes of compression, Q&R and W&R is a great routine.  

Absolutely, probably the most useful for me so far. Actually, wind and release was at first the only phonation I could use in my head voice and passagio. I strongly advise OP to practice it if they haven't already.

1 person likes this

wind and release was at first the only phonation I could use in my head voice and passagio.

Absolutely, that is one of the main purposes of the W&R onset... it gets you into your head voice and releases all that nasty constriction... that is what I teach about that onset in the program. You should also train the Messa di Voce Onset Serotonin.

What is OP?

Absolutely, that is one of the main purposes of the W&R onset... it gets you into your head voice and releases all that nasty constriction... that is what I teach about that onset in the program. You should also train the Messa di Voce Onset Serotonin.

What is OP?

Messa di Voice is more difficult for me. But I'll practice it a bit more in future.

OP means original poster.

Ok I've had pillars for little over a month..I have read the book and watched all the lectures..I rewatch whatever video I'm about to train before I do. Like I would watch the Q&R video then I train it. I always start off with my resonant tracking..I spend about 30 minutes buzzing...then i do some track and release. After that I dive right into Q&R. I enjoy that workout a lot actually.. I think it comes a little easy for me because of the training I was doing with KTVA. It's learning when to lighten the mass is where I fall short. As I figured and Rob said I'm grinding to much. 

While training I slowly become aware of this when my voice fatigues. I struggle with it a lot. I feel I lose all control when I don't "grind" I wish I had the money for Skype lessons cause I would be skyping them all day lol. I absolutely love music and love to sing.

I mainly been doing Q&R..some D&R..I recently started practiceing messa di voce. I enjoy that workout also. W&R is pretty challenging because I feel I waste my support and it craps out. I completely understand what it does and I actually use it in my songs. A lot for I's and h words. Thank you all very much for chiming in. I really appreciate it

1 person likes this

.... W&R... only at the onset.... a 10th of a second after the onset... you have to compress, anchor the larynx, shape the embouchure, maybe leverage the tongue, tune to your vowel... W&R doesn't mean, you say windy.  Just want to be clear on that... after the initial onset.. you engage your intrinsic anchoring!

Thanks Rob. I will try more W&R onsets. I also watched the video you posted.  Right off the assembly line I'm going to make sure im in a light mass.

1 person likes this

And keep doing it. Repeated exposure to the right way of doing things helps a lot.

Rob I was just going to email you but I saw you posted on here. I've been hard at work trying to stop the grinding. It's pretty hard as I feel like I'm back at square one. I was going to email you because im feeling a little paranoid and worried I might have damaged my vocal chords over time. 

I don't know if you remember or not But i was telling you thru a couple emails that my voice recently has been very pingy..almost vocal fry sounding It never used to be that way. Even when I am just talking there is a constant buzz and it's driving me insane. I'm scared all the "grinding" has hurt me. Non of the artist I listen to has this buzzing frequency just cutting thru everything they say. It's very frustrating. Tomorrow I'm going to do some light workouts like the lift up pull back. I'll send you a sample of what it sounds like. Just wondering if your experience can help me out with something or I should get some medical help

Berny, sorry to keep you waiting bro... been working hard to get the new 4Pillars 4.0 ready... 

Go here: www.thefourpillarsofsinging.com 

Use these two discount codes: Put both of them in , one after the other

tfposcart100 - gets the one-time FREE.

tfposrecurring40 - discounts $40 from the annual recurring, = $20.

There will be a $20, annual recurring fee to cover all the updates of the system... but this is the new system for you!

Then post your voice samples in the "Review My Singing" forum so I can hear your voice and help you... I can't help you if I can't hear you.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the update Rob. I ment to post the clips I recorded but got side tracked. I'm pretty worried of developing polyps or nodules. I was also reading I could just have a lot of mucus on my chords as I feel the need to clear my throat constantly.

ill post the samples asap and download the updated pillars. Thanks again. I'm thinking it might be better if I call you doing the $1 a minute option.