• TMV World Member

Hi guys, I'm super new here and I thought i'd start a classical technique thread since no one has seemed to have posted in this sub-forum yet.

I'll start with posting a little something I've done. SHOW AND TELL !!!!!!! This was from a few weeks ago. I need to work on my breathing near the end.

https://soundcloud.com/arfoo/nessun-dorma-rehearsal

• TMV World Member

Classical technique in regards to the vocal modes. When I sing my high B, am I singing it, according to the theories present in this forum, in a belting fashion, in a "mix", in headvoice?

Another question is, to what is classical technique closest, given that the perceived notion is that classical singing is only one of 8 of the modes, from what I saw Rob talk about, but there are different ways that different voice types train to sing classical music.

• Administrator

Arthur, it is great to have you here and thank you for posting in the Classical forum!

Arthur,...

Don't confuse "opera" the physical vocal mode with "opera" the genre/style of singing. Although Opera singers use opera vocal mode, they also use other physical vocal modes as well. Did you see this video? I just published it, it is from my vocal training program, "The Four Pillars of Singing"...

Regarding judging your singing... if it is a belt of mixed... I can tell you for sure... and I want to help you. However, please post that vocal demonstration inside our "Review My Singing" forum. "Review My Singing" is a service, it is $5.

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-premium-membership-plans/

• TMV World Legacy Member

I have to agree with Robert. "Opera" mode is different than what the sound requirements for opera are. And those definitions can change depending on coach or what role you are cast in. I have read the memoirs of Russell Watson, Debra Lynn, and Renee Fleming and they have led interesting paths in their career to the top of the opera field.