NOTE: I am NOT a specialist I'd like to state that I am not a doctor or vocal health specialist and the following tea is not intended to treat, prevent, or diagnose, any health or vocal health issue that may be related to your specific situation. It's something I've come up with for my own personal use and thought I'd share it:)
It's that time of year rockers. Lots of sore throats and snotty noses, haha. Luckily for you, I am king of the concoction-the legal kind, so don't get too excited:) Here is one of my concoctions to help singers battle sore throats, overall fatigue, and boost their immune system:
For singers tea you will need the following ingredients:
- Throat Coat Tea, which can be purchased a traditionalmedicinals.com or a local GNC
- one bottle each of liquid Zinc, Slippery Elm, Licorice, Ginseng and Stevia (optional)
- Packets of orange Emergen-C or orange peels of one organic orange
- Packet of X20 (singerswater.com)
- Bottle of distilled water
1. Start by adding a packet of X20 to your bottle of water and shaking for 15-20 seconds. Let bottle sit for 15-minutes.
2. Pour water into sauce pan, add one Throat Coat tea bag and bring to boil. Do not microwave! Optional: You can add the orange peels to your water as you boil. Use this option if you are not going to use Emergen-C
3. Once boiling, turn off stove, then pour tea into coffee mug.
4. Add the following to your tea:
- A. 5-7 drops of Slippery Elm, Licorice and Ginseng and 3-5 drops of liquid Zinc.
- B. Half packet of Emergen-C if not using orange peels during boiling.
- C. 5-10 drops of Stevia natural sweetener, but only after you've tasted your tea. If the mixture is a little too tart for you liking, you can simply sweeten it to taste with Stevia.
So, what does all this do for a singer? Well, I've been told the following:
- X20 and Vitamin C (from orange peel or Emergen-C) helps boost the immune system.
- Throat Coat Tea contains Slippery Elm and Licorice. Slippery Elm is a demulcent and will coat the lining of the throat to ease dryness. Licorice is like a natural form of cortisone which will help reduce swelling. By adding liquid Slippery Elm and Licorice, we are super charging the tea.
- The Ginseng is an energy/adrenal booster for when you feel worn down. It is much better than caffeine which will dry you out and actually diminish your energy.
- Emergen-C or orange peels add vitamin C which boosts the immune system. I elect to only use half a packet of Emergen-C because of tartness, but you can use one full packet if desired.
- Zinc is the singer's mineral and help rebuild vocal tissue.
- Stevia is a natural sweetener that will not drain your energy like white sugar.
There you have it lead screamers. Make you a cup to sip or a batch for a thermos to drink while on stage...Don't forget to drink plenty of water too!!!