• Quick Access Training Page: HERE

Forums

1. WELCOME & HOW TO GET STARTED!

1. Welcome New Members!

How to use the TMV World Forum interface and services.

1. General Discussions

This is the main forum at TMV World. Jump in and get started!

Discussions regarding the health & care of your voice.

1. Review My Singing

Get feedback on your training and singing from the community.

1. Microphones

Discussions regarding microphones for live and recording use.

The art of recording and production for singing.

Discussions regarding vocal effects and processing.

1. Seeking Vocalist / Vocalist Available

Submit your listing for a project or a singer.

1. Vocal Gear Reviews

Reviews of products and services for singers.

2. Singing Articles

Published TMV World articles. Feel free to publish an article!

3. Expert Interviews   (5,893 visits to this link)

Exclusive TMV World interviews with singing and voice experts.

• Recent Posts

• So, looks like you're passionate about singing. You understand that  it's about expression. You have a sense of expression and you can hear it in your singing. That is a solid foundation. Then comes the question of how best to communicate the intended expression to other people. How do you get other people "in the zone" of what you want to express? Well, one thing to recognize is that for your own singing you are the most zoned person, naturally. There can be quite a difference to make up to get other people equally zoned and hearing your singing the way you hear it. You have to aim to be really precise, It's a bit like reading your own handwriting. For other people to be able to read it, it has to be clearer than if it is only for you. That is because you have a hefty head start in interpreting what is being expressed. Listening to your singing, it seems to me that you find chest resonance very important. But remember, there are other resonances to explore fully. Do that. See if you can get sound to resonate back of the mouth, nose, head etc. All these resonances complement chest resonance, and help bring it out even more. Practise funny noises. Experiment. That is what singers do. See what new resonances you can discover and incorporate. Sometimes, if an option isn't there, you may tend to push the only option you have to its limit. But once you have developed a range of options, you can select which one does the best job.
    • Thank you man! So, for my whole life I've been mostly self-taught, not really "formal training" as you would call it. But what I did do to train my voice was a lot of experimentation, a lot of trial and error of what worked and what didn't and I am STILL in that process. I always wanted to do hard songs from the get go, and some where just not possible at the time, but I still did what I could with them, because not only did it help me become a better singer, it helped my musicality grow as well, to find different ways to sing a song, but always carrying the same message which I feel is essential in singing. Hell no, I sucked when I was starting. Everyone does, I've probably worked on most problems people have here. Usually to practice something I lack, I pick a song that has a lot that which I don't have. And I practice it until I have it, other people may do scales. But I feel it's a waste of time unless you are having trouble with pitch, then they help. Because in my opinion you're not really going to sing scales in front of a crowd, you're gonna be doing songs and I just prefer to build up my experience singing songs and not have to worry of doing scales and then applying that to singing. But that's just my thinking because I am self-taught, a voice teacher would probably say otherwise, but that is just what helped me.
    • Very nice. Thank you for sharing. Welcome to the forum.
    • Sounds great Groovy. So, let us know what type of training you went through to get to this point. Most of our members are just starting out and getting their feet wet in the singing game.  It would be nice to hear some of your thoughts on singing as well as letting us hear you sing.        Did you just start off singing like this or did you work on the same problems that some of us has faced? Maybe you could add insight on the breathing thread that was started recently. 
    • This has nothing to do with whether you can or will be able to "sing".....Do not let any one thing "Define" you. That is a defeatist attitude before you even start. Make a goal to "Learn" to sing better or to "control" your voice. Practice matching pitches and learning to hear when you are singing the same pitch as the melody calls for.      Even professional singers do things to keep the voice in shape for singing...They work on the individual songs they are going to sing and make changes in the way they sing them until it starts to sound "Right". Do not let it bother you that you will have to work on the voice to make it sound better....Michael Jackson worked with a coach throughout his career.....He practiced and made his voice sound better just like everyone has to do.      You have a piano, that is a good start because you need something to play the notes for you to reproduce with your voice. You have to learn how to recognize when you are singing on pitch and when you are not.     Doing this on your own, I would hold(sing) a note. and then use the piano to find the note that you sang. Once you found that note on the piano I would sing that note again and play that note on the piano at the same time and pay attention to whether the note you sing is exactly the same note you played. If something sounds "Off", play the note a few times and listen closely to it....Then try to match it with your voice. do the same thing with another note 2 whole notes higher than the first. Ex. If the first note was C play and sing the E note. When you are comfortable with singing the E note, Play the C note and then the E note making a 2 note melody. C E   A few other things that need to be pointed out. You are singing a song that has a Female singer. She is singing 2 octaves higher than where you are trying to sing this. Being new to singing will make this even more difficult because you will not be able to tell if you are singing the same melody as she is. This puts your voice TOO LOW to control the voice when you are figuring out ""How to sing".  And the tone of the voice is too different from yours to tell if you are singing the same notes or not. Find a song from a Male singer that is close to your "Speaking range that has a simple melody to practice on.     When you are singing scales or doing voice exercises, do them a little louder than when you are speaking. And do them with a firm tone like when you are standing your ground in an argument, not in a soft quiet voice.    
    • soundcloud.com/user-661844416/holy-diver-cover So, here I am diving into Ronnie James Dio territory. First time really trying Dio's stuff. Please don't kill me. lol. All feedback is appreciated. Hope you like it!
    • Well what makes you say that then? You exhale all off the air from you lungs what creates a lower pressure then before and hence a vacuum
  • Articles

• Share Your Singing! Peer Reviews!

Have Your Singing Reviewed!

CLICK HERE

• Tags