Snax- Diamonds & Rust

• TMV World Legacy Member

I know I should be taking a much needed vocal rest but I got inspired today and wanted to record a song I've wanted to try for a long, long time. This is the Judas Priest version of the song Diamonds & Rust. I was a little scratchier than usual due to the heat being on in my bedroom at night which dries me out really badly. Enough excuses though, here's the song...

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/nxu69y.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Flawless, not a sign of pushing or straining... for me, one of your best if not the best one so far.

Your voice is really suited to this type of singing and I loved how you introduced rasp in the end of the song, exactly as it is appropriate.

Keep'em coming,

Thanos

Thanks guys. A lot of the takes were unusable due to my scratchy throat and I had little control over certain frequencies which isn't normal for me now. I guess the finished result does sound alright and I hid the one really thin sounding note with a lot of effects and a volume fade. ;)

That part is the line "We both could have died then and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere..." The word "there" was in that range of a few notes that I can normally sing very clear and strong but yesterday it felt as though I had stepped back in time and was singing with my pre-tonsillectomy voice again.

By the way, I have been using a lot of EQ on my vocal tracks to get them to sound more like the production on those early Judas Priest recordings. They really used to roll off the bass in his voice around the low mids on down and boost the mids around 1.5 - 3 khz to get his voice to cut through the guitars. It helps with the illusion of me sounding like Halford. My full untreated voice doesn't have the same sound and would get lost in the mix more easily.

"GIDDYUP!"

Well done, as usual. This is the perfect song to do while you are resting. If I'm not mistaken, it usually happens in the middle of a set for the JP because it does allow the singer an "easy" song.

Mike, I also expect, when you make it really big this time, rather than just club circuits with your old band, that you'll give a shout out to me and others here. So that we can say that "we knew you when." I don't get to name-drop very often.