False Chords

Rate this topic

MB20

I am currently trying to learn to scream using the false chord method. I've followed some tutorials and am able to kind of make the sound without any pain in my throat. My question is, how do I know if I am using the false chords correctly? is there a sensation or a physical motion that employs them? when I use this technique at the moment, all I am doing is lowering my larynx; I have no idea weather that comes into play when using the false chords but I really would like some explanation of what I am doing so I can learn the technique safely and correctly.

• 1 month later...

A) Use the search button on this site and look for distortion/rasp/grit ... etc.

B) Post an audio example of yourself doing these types of sound so we can try to help you better.

C) The most important thing is for this not to hurt your voice and also for you to get a sound that you like.

I have a big problem trying to use the false chords as well. Each time I try to add a gritty or scream effect, I feel it in my throat. I tried everything and I can't even safely do a light rasp. I love Russell Allen's gritty voice. I wish I could do something like this

I have a big problem trying to use the false chords as well. Each time I try to add a gritty or scream effect, I feel it in my throat. I tried everything and I can't even safely do a light rasp. I love Russell Allen's gritty voice. I wish I could do something like this

maybe, you're not anatomically meant to scream like that. screaming is 50% attitude and acting, 50% technique.