need serious help! I lost my voice!!!!

Rate this topic

darkclaw3000

i apologize if this post is in the wrong area.

yesterday night I was having band practice, didn't warm up and sang straight away, warm up songs 1st of course. (many times i didnt warm up, just went straight, and nothing happened to me).

anyway, that certain practice was bad. my pitch was all over the place, i cant control my voice at all. it goes to a weak flopping-all-around pitch if i tried to sustain a note. (like when u have a bad break tryin to go from chest to head.) i thought i was doing it wrong somehow so i focused back on what i was doing, but it didnt improve.

after practice my voice changed, lost high ranges. tried warming down, it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to do a gradual, going down sustain note on EE vowel.

my usual highest EE pitch came out nothing. i just feel air flowing through.

y i post this is because i think this is the first time ever in life i hear myself sing so bad and wrong..

anyone have any idea why??

thx lots!

As to the why, there are a lot of variables. It's cold right now. You may have abused your voice before. You didn't warm up and didn't stop when you noticed your voice did not respond the way it usually does. You couldn't place your voice well. You probably forced it trying to get it back to shape. This means a lot of strain.

As to what to do, I'd say first, rest your voice, second, you may want to see an ENT (the doctor who checks nose ears and throat basically, I'm not certain she's called an ENT).

Third, you have to understand what happened so that you don't run into this problems anymore. I'd advise you to just call it a day if your voice goes all over the place. I'm not even sure warming up would have helped you (but you probably would find it better to do some warming up, even if it's not for long. I personaly find that at minimum, a couple liprolls and a couple sirens enable me to go quickly to warming up songs on those days where I really don't have time at all).

Stoping singing doesn't mean you're not doing anything on that rehearsal. You can always memorize the lyrics, speak them while the band is playing (do not whisper, it's tiring for the folds), you can speak with them about how you would like to handle the next show, etc...

thx ronron. i think i will give it rest for a few days see if it will get back in shape. i guess that day i was just super tired or something.. it was freakin me out hearing myself like that though.. but if it gets worst i will go check out an ENT soon.......

(i donno if they are called ENTs.. i keep amusing myself thinking those Ents (talking trees) from lord of the rings are checking my throat.. gonna take awhile. =P

Seeing a doctor might help.

Lost part of my voice a few weeks ago. I had been working on supertwang and trying for maximum distortion. And I think I had strained some muscles that allow for fine control. It took a few weeks of mainly resting. And some light volume sirens, high to low. And then lip bubbles and scales.

Seeing a doctor might help.

Lost part of my voice a few weeks ago. I had been working on supertwang and trying for maximum distortion. And I think I had strained some muscles that allow for fine control. It took a few weeks of mainly resting. And some light volume sirens, high to low. And then lip bubbles and scales.

whoa thats some extreme stuffs.. hope i dont have to resort to anything drastic..

anyway, how do you know your voice is ok already? do i judge it by how i normally sing a song?

i apologize if this post is in the wrong area.

yesterday night I was having band practice, didn't warm up and sang straight away, warm up songs 1st of course. (many times i didnt warm up, just went straight, and nothing happened to me).

anyway, that certain practice was bad. my pitch was all over the place, i cant control my voice at all. it goes to a weak flopping-all-around pitch if i tried to sustain a note. (like when u have a bad break tryin to go from chest to head.) i thought i was doing it wrong somehow so i focused back on what i was doing, but it didnt improve.

after practice my voice changed, lost high ranges. tried warming down, it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to do a gradual, going down sustain note on EE vowel.

my usual highest EE pitch came out nothing. i just feel air flowing through.

y i post this is because i think this is the first time ever in life i hear myself sing so bad and wrong..

anyone have any idea why??

thx lots!

Did you feel any kind of irritation in your throat that afternoon ? Any strange sensation at all that you didn't pay attention to ?

I had this 2-3 weeks ago (wrote about it in a thread called "tonsillitis"). If you feel that you can't swallow or that you've got

razors inside your throat, then it's best that you don't make a sound.

Drink plenty of water - I mean ridiculous amounts - don't speak or use your voice in any way and go to an ENT doc.

This time of the year is a b**** for all singers, hard not to catch sth. And the funny thing is you never know what will trigger it,

it could be lack of sleep, sth psychological, anything.

I wish you a quick recovery,

Thanos

thanos - actually i do.. i thought i was ok already, so yesterday night i want for a fun jam with my friends. i realized when i sing some notes, the right side of my throat seems to hurt. not really killing, juz something is pressing. i think its caused by me doing abit of straining on those notes. i nvr did strain or force any notes at all for the higher notes.

im gonna give it a few more days.. if it still there... wahhhh!

thx for the wish thanos.

p.s. thanos is a bad guy in marvel vs capcom!! =D

thanos - actually i do.. i thought i was ok already, so yesterday night i want for a fun jam with my friends. i realized when i sing some notes, the right side of my throat seems to hurt. not really killing, juz something is pressing. i think its caused by me doing abit of straining on those notes. i nvr did strain or force any notes at all for the higher notes.

im gonna give it a few more days.. if it still there... wahhhh!

thx for the wish thanos.

p.s. thanos is a bad guy in marvel vs capcom!! =D

I had this too for a while. It went away after a few weeks of rest or soft singing only.

Something else to watch out for, as well. For those of us in fall and winter, now, we use the heater in our car or house more often. It can dry out the air, which can also dry out our throats. That's why it's especially important for singers, and people, in general, to stay hydrated with water, even in winter.

Something else to watch out for, as well. For those of us in fall and winter, now, we use the heater in our car or house more often. It can dry out the air, which can also dry out our throats. That's why it's especially important for singers, and people, in general, to stay hydrated with water, even in winter.

very true. in singapore here its all warm, sometimes hot, humid. luckily i love to drink lotsa plain water. =D. oh i love to mix it with Bragg's apple cider vinegar. was recommended in jaime vendera's raise your voice book. that thing is good for almost everything

very true. in singapore here its all warm, sometimes hot, humid. luckily i love to drink lotsa plain water. =D. oh i love to mix it with Bragg's apple cider vinegar. was recommended in jaime vendera's raise your voice book. that thing is good for almost everything

That's quite a different climate, then. Here, in far north Texas, it is getting down to the upper 30's F and getting up to the 60's. So, we're using heat at least part of the time, mostly deep in the night and in the morning.

If you have what appears to be muscular pain on just one side of your throat (but no sensation of grit, or burning, or tickling inside the larynx - if you do, go to see an ENT doctor just to be on the safe side), then you've probably just tired out your strap muscles - doctors often refer to this as 'muscle tension disphonia' - it's doctor speak for 'I can't see anything wrong with the larynx, so I'll say something vaguely medical and blame that' - it will most likely go away with a day or two voice rest then gentle sirening to bring the voice back.

You should be asking yourself why it happened though - if you lost your voice, were only getting air and your pitch was wobbly, that's a classic sign of trauma to the epithelium (the thin skin like layer of the vocal folds - only around 4 cells thick, very easy to irritate) - revising your technique is probably the only way to make sure this doesn't keep happening.

Remember you have two issues here - 1) how can I heal? 2) How can I make sure this doesn't happen again? - they won't both be fixed by the same solution.

Just to reassure you, it's nearly impossible to ruin your voice totally, particularly in one duff practise session - you'll soon be fine again.:)

chanteurmoderne wrote

// tired out strap muscles - doctors often refer to this as 'muscle tension disphonia' - it's doctor speak for 'I can't see anything wrong with the larynx, so I'll say something vaguely medical and blame that'//

Um, I work in medical side of voice, & have to disagree here.

"Muscle Tension Dysphonia" means that the vocal cords look OK in terms of pathology: no swelling, nodules, polyps, etc. BUT there are visible problems with functional mechanics that the doctor can see, related to extra tension & misuse of the muscles. Examples are compression of the upper larynx, in one or more dimensions; or elevated larynx position in the neck. Best treatment is by a speech pathologist who understands singing voice, and there are more & more of us out there.

However, the changes you describe could be related to several different kinds of problems, and rather than speculate, I'd just URGE you to get a voice examination by a laryngologist -- not just any old ear nose-throat (ENT) doc, but one with the specialized equipment called videostroboscopy.

You might just have some muscle strain/fatigue. BUT there could also be a hemorrhage inside one of the vocal cords, or some other more gnarly injury.

Absolutely rest your voice as much as you can for now; if you want to try light sirens & trills, no more than a few minutes at a time, every few hours. Get a professional massage with emphasis on neck and jaw areas and on overall stress relief.

Above all: if voice seems harder to control DON'T Push it to sound normal! You'll just wourk up even more tension & more deeply-imbalanced muscles.

You will get over this, but you'll get over it faster with a clear diagnosis and the right kind of treatment. I know medical care is expensive & lots of people have prejudices against it... but as I said there are more & more good voice clinics these days, & in your case I think its important.

Let me know if I can help find a good ENT in your area, or if a Skype consult with me would be useful.

best wishes for a swift recovery --

Joanna

just to update!!!!! MY VOICE IS BACK!!!!!!!! thx so much for all the help. relieves me a lot.

but i think i better go for a check up with a laryngologist or maybe with Doctor Joanna. how do i contact you?

i donno if its my technique of singing or what but i seem to strain more to have clean tone then raspy/fry tone..

gotta record an example soon..

Good to read that, Darkclaw. I think my problem was due to muscle strain. It just took time. Then I slowly worked my way in with light sirens and bubbles and not a lot of air, to regain some coordination. I learned from doctor that with some muscle strains, they will heal quicker if used lightly. For example, the second time I hurt my back, he didn't prescribe bed rest or muscle relaxants. Just some anti-inflammatory and move as easily as I can, which promotes the muscles to repair themselves. I used to lift heavy weights all the time. I knew from such sources that it can take 48 hours to repair muscles from normal strain or fatigue. That's why bodybuilders alternate the days for sections of their bodies. Upper body Mon, Wed, Fri. Lower body Tue and Thu. Rest or light aerobic activity Sat or Sun. But notice that rest is a major component.

I wanted to slightly defend chanteurmoderne. The phrasing of the line he quoted is from one of the articles in the TMV Journal section. I don't think it was meant to make light of medical professionals but diagnosing something like this can be tricky, for sure, and without the strobe, it's like navigating someone else's living room, in the dark. You're bound to crack your shin on the coffee table. And I so appreciate you, Joanna, being here to help shed light. I fully think my vocal episode a while ago was from muscle strain and time and some proper technique helped me to come back to what I have.

But it's scary in the interim, nevertheless.

Always glad to hear of voices (people) getting well.

Sometimes it's hard to really "get it" that we do need to take precautions that non-singers don't. Choose everyday habits with voice in mind. See doctors and bodyworkers more often than the average (and plan that in budget!)

A guideline that I like ( not original): if you're being teased as too-careful, called a Diva, etc. by friends or relatives who don't sing, you're probably doing enough!!!