Sign in to follow this  
Estef

Singing with a tongue ring?

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I used to have a tongue ring a while ago and my classical teacher convinced me to take it off because she said it was preventing me from improving. In the end I did, but I would like to have it pierced again, if, and ONLY IF I know it won't affect my singing. Any ideas? Maybe involving tongue placement, vowel formation, etc... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! :D

I don't see how it would effect your singing much, if any. I mean, if it keeps your tongue from working properly, or if it messes with resonance, I could see it as a problem, but I don't see how it would. I'm not a fan of them personally, and I might assume neither is your teacher, who may just be trying to get you to get rid of it because it bothers them.

Someone with more knowledge is probably better off commenting on this than I am.

Well we all know the tongue is supposed to stay slightly-pressed against the back of the bottom row of teeth. Maybe if your tongue ring makes it difficult for you to do this then it could be an issue. But if not, it's probably just your teacher being pedantic.

I'm interested to see what others with more experience have to say on this matter.

Hello everyone! I used to have a tongue ring a while ago and my classical teacher convinced me to take it off because she said it was preventing me from improving. In the end I did, but I would like to have it pierced again, if, and ONLY IF I know it won't affect my singing. Any ideas? Maybe involving tongue placement, vowel formation, etc... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! :D

blackstar...i'm gonna give you the award for "most interesting post" of the month!

question: have you looked in the mirror to see if it moves around a lot in the mouth while you sing?

here are my concerns...

(just my humble opinion)

perhaps it could be a tad distracting to the audience whereby they are all secretly wondering if you can sing well with that in your mouth? perhaps it could even distract them away from your performance? also, if it prevents the tongue from laying flat, tip behind the lower front teeth, well then i think your asking for trouble because you'll always be having to compensate. also, the piece could easily restrict airflow. i would say the less impediments the better off you are.

i'm just a fellow singer, just trying to help. bob

blackstar...i'm gonna give you the award for "most interesting post" of the month!

:lol:

question: have you looked in the mirror to see if it moves around a lot in the mouth while you sing?

I let it close a couple of years ago, so I couldn't tell you about it now, but I remember I could do everything I used to do with my tongue; I could do tongue trills and pronounce every consonant as I did before (my native language is Spanish so picture the "r" for us ;)) but I don't really remember if it prevented my tongue from laying flat or if it moved around much... Maybe I'll have to ask someone with a tongue ring now to sing for me :P cause I honestly can't remember...

here are my concerns...

(just my humble opinion)

perhaps it could be a tad distracting to the audience whereby they are all secretly wondering if you can sing well with that in your mouth? perhaps it could even distract them away from your performance?

Bob, you totally have a point there!!! I never really thought about how the audience might feel about it, and I totally agree with the possibility that it might distract people, especially if they are not very accepting of body art, thanks for bringing my attention to that!

Well we all know the tongue is supposed to stay slightly-pressed against the back of the bottom row of teeth. Maybe if your tongue ring makes it difficult for you to do this then it could be an issue. But if not, it's probably just your teacher being pedantic.

I don't really think it prevented my tongue from doing that, but again, I don't remember :P And yes, my teacher WAS very pedantic and narrowminded...

Does somebody here actually have a tongue ring? I would love to hear any hands-on experience with this!

Estef

When it comes to the tongue-ring being a distraction for the audience, I guess it depends on style. It can almost go towards your artist image, which is a very important thing. These days it is probably more important than actual talent it seems (I don't think that's necessarily a good thing). So it could be integrated into your image, but the image would have some roots in what style you are playing (in most cases, but there are exceptions e.g. Mike Patton occasionally perfoming rock gigs with Faith No More in a suit).

I guess it's knowing your audience. I think in the alternate rock scene, tongue rings are definitely an appropriate fashion accessory.

Also, if you're singing with a mic (providing you aren't a classical singer) then wouldn't it be mostly hidden behind that?

About the image, I have to say that a tongue piercing is definitely sexy for me. For a female singer, singing in a sultry or provocative style, it could help in that way. If it affects your singing, that is a problem, but if your style is one which has a lot of sexual energy (rock, some jazz, pop, etc) you might actually consider it part of your performance wardrobe.

I haven't had one myself, so I can't judge the level of effect it will have on your singing. But I do know that the school I attended for Musical Theatre was strongly against tounge piercings - having the idea that it would greatly affect your singing, especially prononciation (musical theatre is a lot about delivering lyrics). The teachers there said it would kill nerves in your tounge.

I don't think a non-singer would wonder if it will affect your singing though, so I don't think it would be much of a distraction to an audience. But maybe it's more socially accepted with tounge piercings in Sweden?

It can really help you get a piercing sound.

Trading puns, now, are we? Hee, hee. Then syncopation would not only be uneven movement from bar to bar, but uneven movement of the bar?

Trading puns, now, are we? Hee, hee. Then syncopation would not only be uneven movement from bar to bar, but uneven movement of the bar?

Nice. But be careful, you might only be able to sing holy music after getting it redone.

Soooo funny, all your comments :D Snax, I have a nipple ring as well, and it hasn't helped me with the high notes :P

Now seriously, do you or any singers you know use a tongue ring? I would love to hear from someone who does to see how it affects them...

By the way, Blackstar, are you talking about a ring or a bar? I've known some people (non-singers) with tongue piercings and usually, they are wearing a bar or rod. It seems, to me, it would be a mechanical problem at times but maybe not. For me, singing properly, especially in the higher ends of a range involve vowels at the back of the mouth and the back of the tongue is slightly raised, which would mean the tongue jewelry is largely out of the way, so to speak.

Hi Ron, it's actually a bar:D Sorry my native language is not English! Anyways, it was obviously hard to pronounce things well and enunciate while it was healing but I never got to really sing with it because my teacher had me take it out and I listened to her :rolleyes:

Well, I haven't seen a person sing with a bar or ring in their tongue, though they might wear one before and after singing. And, of the singers I have watched and known, none of them have tongue piercings, lip piercings or cheek piercings.

blackstar - I think your teacher is probably right. The tongue is capable of changing it's shape almost infinitely and subtle changes in shape can affect the sound of the vowels. If you stick something through the tongue it almost has to change your ability to change it's shape and thus affect your control over vowels. Of course you could probably learn to work around this.

Guest redreaper

(*auto edit*) your teacher.  do your thing and find out for yourself over time.  maybe you will develop new techniques and revolutionize the art.