Rainbow in the Dark

• TMV World Legacy Member

I love the mixing, Mike. Firstly, I concentrated on support. And, I will admit that normally I sing a track all the way through. But I went back and patched sections that needed refinement. I had been working on it all afternoon and my voice was getting tired from doing the same song over again. So, I took a lesson from you to let it rest and try it again. And it was worth the effort. Something that I have learned here is that attention to detail in recording is so very important. So, it was worth the extra effort to get the recording right.

I was singing from 15 or so inches away from the pop filter. Except for "Look out!" That's actually at a lower vocal volume than the rest and I leaned in for that. And, again, I sent you the track without eq or effects.

I have a lot of fun singing this song because, like Thanos' recent recording, I can let my hair down. Get my cajones into it, though I was twanging pretty solid. I had as good a match of support and compression as I could get. This is a song that I cannot sing as a lullaby. It is meant to be, as far as I can tell, a "go big or go home" effort. Thank you for the compliments and support. It means so very much to me, as well as the angel who gifted me with real equipment.

That gave me a good chuckle. This version with the new setup sounds MUCH better, I'm able to hear so much more coming through the headphones.

Singing like original is something I do because I don't know my range and know really know what my voice is. I just kind of go, and what I can do I do and what I can't, well, I try anyways and keep the recording for a laugh later on.

Thanks, again, for the compliments. I don't try to sound like the original because it's impossible. Each person is genetically different and this creates differences in structure and neurology. You and I can do the exact same technique at the same time on the same note and it will sound different. But that doesn't stop me from trying techniques that others use. I just know that I will sound different. And actually, a unique sound is more of a benefit than a hindrance. Dio is unique. You know his voice the moment you hear it. The value of Mike's mix is that he is not trying to necessarily make me sound like Dio. He is trying to highlight the best of my voice and I think he succeeds at that.

And I have nothing against Billy Corgan, either, giggles aside. I just don't think I sound like him. But I did with that desk mic, at times.

edited to add:

The last verse I sing a capella was inspired by Dio's performance at Wacken in 2004. And I dedicate that verse to outstanding people we have here, in this forum. Initially, I wanted to mention some people by name but there's not enough room at the end of the track. Mike, Thanos (akarawd), jonpall, Lunte, Steven, Geno, pretty much everyone here. Ya'll are my rainbows in the dark.

Ron, I can at last hear what you really sound like.. and I love your tone !

Not only do you sound better because of exercising but you have a great sounding voice !

There were some timing issues and a couple of pitch ones that I'm sure you know what they are.

I loved your ending line, great melody !

Once again, a great sounding tenor voice - I'm shocked at the difference between this and the "old setup" recordings.

Thanks, Thanos. And the dedication at the end is for real. You guys have helped me so much. As well as the gift of real equipment to record my voice in a realistic fashion. Maybe now, people can understand what I was talking about with the limitations of the desk mic and this new CM-1 studio mic.

And you've helped me so much, letting me know when I am off pitch and giving me help on exercises, etc. Most people don't know how much you have helped me. The support and belief in voice that you and others give me is beyond measure. The gift of an angel is, itself, an expression of belief in what I can do.

I've been wanting to record more. I started a new regular, permanent job on last Wednesday and it takes a lot of time. And it's in Dallas, at a spot about 52 miles from home. And the last few days have been busy at home, after work, as well. I am so itching to record more and will just as soon as I get a break. Whether I post it here, or not. Of course, I will if I think it's worthy or, more importantly, if I need help with something or a fresh ear.

I get a full paycheck Friday so that I can pay the gas, and the phone, and insurance. Next week is the car payment. I am stretched to the limit but, this Christmas, I am just thankful to have a job, one that I am appreciated in, and the good cheer of all you fine people, here.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard the first recording you posted and I was thinking to myself that your good technique and feeling were noticeable, but I couldn't really grasp what was your "true" sound. Then, I heard your new version with Mike's mixing abilities and I simply didn't think at all. It was very good, and one can tell that you really enjoy singing this. The recording from Dec 5th has the best sound overall, in terms of recording/mixing. When it comes to vocal technique, my ears aren't trained enough to notice big changes. To me, you already have the rock star level.

[color=black][i]Stuff.[/i][/color]

Thanks, anonimuzz. It's hard for me to delineate how I would sing it before and now because it all feels the same, to me. But I know there has to be some effect of being here. At least, I would assume so. So, I don't just state "well, this is how I've always sung." For certainly, I am doing some things better. Having the mic, now, if anything, ups the game for me. I can't blame the mic. For the old cheapie desk mic really was to blame for much of the issues, from sound quality to pitchiness. But how much actually pitchiness of mine has been corrected from being in this forum before I got a decent mic? That's what I cannot quantify.

Granted, the last recording with the cheapie mic and the Dec 5th recording with the real mic are only about a week or so apart and so, no, there is no great change in technique. In that time frame, the singing is the same, even with variations in vocal melody, I am still singing it the same way, that close in time.

But it does allow, I think, for a more fair appraisal of what I am doing because now, you can actually hear me, and not the limitations of the mic.

And thank you for the high compliment. Even though I like a lot of music and was so inspired by Guns and Roses, I find Dio's music easy for me to sing. At least, to me, the song feels natural.