Sign in to follow this  
cmnorris3

Suggestions for a mic

Rate this topic

So i need some help, My band has split and we have decided just to become a studio band and record from home. I have a stage mic which was just a cheap purchase but I would like a really nice studio mic to record with. So here is my issue. I have a really high voice for a male maybe in the 180 hertz range and also very soft spoken (I know the worst combination for a singer). So I may need a mic that is going to substitute or be able to pick up some lows out of my voice (if this is even possible). I would prefer a condenser mic, but any suggestions are welcome. I know i will have to try out mics to find the one I would like. I just have no idea where to start. our first album was with a studio that doesn't exists anymore and I liked his set up but I can't remember what the mic was. I can post a song if need be to help suggestions. I know I can spend thousands of dollars on a mic but lets make this best mic for me on a budget. until you convince me I need this mic to make this work. Thanks in advance.

I think you missed two important details: 1) the type of music/style you are going to sing; 2) how you sing that style. You say you have a soft high-pitch voice. But how do you use it when singing is more important than how you speak. And yes! You should try out the mics to find out the ones that compliment your voice. Cheers

Hmmmm good response. We do more of a new style rock. anything from sounding like Emery, to Memphis may Fire or Chiodos, to Brand New. now as far as my voice, I'm a high note guy so most of my vocals will peak normal mics (gives it that high ringing sound where i have to pull away from the mic to continue the note). I guess i worded that one part wrong, I should have said I have a soft singing voice, that really doesn't matter as much as the range for me. the decibel levels i can work with more than hertz. Thanks for the help.

I think Adolph has an MXL 990 and I have an MXL V67G that I really, really like. I also have a light and high voice.

Watch Graham's 300 dollar challenge vids. He is using a Samson C40, Super cheap and and sounds good. Even Glen Fricker at Spectre Sound Studios gives it a good review. You will need an interface that has +48 volts for a condenser mic and I would suggest getting an xlr to xlr cord. That makes the mic even more quiet.

And when you record into the DAW, adjust the mic input on your interface while watching the meter in the DAW. -18 dB for louder songs, to -12 Db, no more, for softer songs. If you do that one thing, you are 95 percent on the way to a cleanly recorded vocal track.

And, you can do like my brother suggests, record loud choruses and stuff on another track with different settings, compression, etcetera. And he is a recording pro.

You don't have to spend hundreds to thousands on a mic. You just need to use what you have in the right way.

thanks so much for the advice. Should i also follow that up with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

Yes, Clarice, you should.

:D

cmnorris,

Actually, I have the MXL 9090  Dual capsule cardioid condenser. It has a switch which enables you to go from a warm to a bright sound. Very SWEET mic and I purchased it on sale for under $100.00

Unfortunately, that mic is no longer manufactured. If you can locate the 9090 on eBay or elsewhere for a reasonable price, I suggest you try it out. Sorry, MINE is NOT for sale :24:

I also defer to Gneetapp's comment : "You should try out the mics to find out the ones that compliment your voice." ronws and myself has discussed this on several occasions as well.

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Yes, Clarice, you should.

:D

:4:

Ron,

As you know, I really enjoy our phone conversations, BUT, you have to stop telling me what you're having for dinner. When we're done talking, I'm beating my brains out trying to figure out what to have for dinner :QuestionFox:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this