Difference in training for a lighter , breathy type of sound

Rate this topic

medcall

Hi  guys! I am really curious about what experts say what configuration requires that type of singing. In terms of their style, is for this type of sound necessary to stablish a strong chest voice as for other genres as rock or pop? Is this a light mix and if so? What is the best way to train for that type of sound? I think it is more difficult than what it seems to sing in that manner.

Thanks in advance

Well, 

neither is breathy. The first is light, slightly twangy head xoice.  The 2nd is just kind of parlante.... Spoken on pitch.

the first is more sung, easily done, with excellent control and ease.  The 2nd shows vocal tightness.

to your question... If you want to sing powerfully, the forts set of sounds may help you get there for part of what you need to do... But the 2nd is imo useless technically.  Stylistically attractive, but done with very poor technique.

I hope this is helpful.

Hello Steven  , 

Thanks very much. It helps, sure. I understand. It is not breathy but I hear a more flutty kind of sound which I perceive as more air, that is why I wrote breathy, but yes I am wrong .For the first example, it is really hard to find an onset that works connecting my voice in that area . Either I start with a heady disconnected sound or with a chesty strained distorted sound. Is it useful to start from a higher position placement as in a descending scale?I mean trying to reduce the amount of chest in the onset or should i compress from a chest perspective? SOrry if this does not make sense, but I describe it as I think of it . As for the parlante voice? Is it any approach more effective ?
Thanks again .

medcall -

It's tricky to find at first, especially for bigger and lower voices.  Here is what I recommend... Don't try to onset it up there just yet.  Learn to onset it in your middle range .. Same light, nonbreathy tone as you hear in the first recording, but onset as softly as you possibly can in that comfortable middle range.  Oo vowel works well for this.

once you can onset it there, begin to move that sound on very gentle sirens.

I hope this is helpful