Excerpt from "Voices" in acapella.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, singing folks!

I would like you to take a listen at my newest effort of this song. It´s just the highest parts i put together and it´s in acapella. What do you think?

http://www.box.net/shared/odkzztin3s

Thanx in advance/ Ola

Go lighter in the higher notes. You have an extremely powerful voice with excellent tone. The highest notes sounded shaky to me (I could be wrong) and they would actually strengthen in sound if you had lighter air support and you have already have the solution for that, as you are excellent at vowel modfication. And it was only a few notes that sounded shaky. Otherwise, you have lungs and tone for days. Well done.

You sometimes do what I do. Get excited and push too much air or carry chest too high. I have to remind myself to approach higher notes not quite so hard and loud.

Hi Ola,

Your voice sounds brilliant on most parts. I agree with Ron about approaching the high parts with a lighter voice.

Actually J.La Brie sounds really thin on these notes.

One thing I think you should avoid is pushing your voice to get rasp, it will limit the rest of your voice.

I used to do that for years and I'm still trying to avoid it as it has caused me nothing but trouble.

Again, I like your tone very much and I'm confident that once you master those high parts you'll sound killer.

Thanos

PS. I'm struggling with these same issues.

On some of the high notes (f.ex. on the word "repeating" early in the clip) you try to make the sound a bit too dark so it doesn't sound as good as it can be, but on many other notes you do it very well. It could be because the word "repeating" has the Ee vowel for the highest note and the Ee vowel is difficult to sing in the high part of the voice with power. Try modifying it towards the Ih vowel, use good support and twang. Then you should strain less and also sound less strained and better on that note. All in all, good singing, man!

Thanx for your replies. Akarawd and ronws: You are right that i push my voice especially on the raspy part and that is a problem, i have not yet learned to get a powerful rasp with a lighter voice, but i am aware of it and working hard to have a strong tone without straining. Recently, i also discovered that when i sing in my closet with lots of sound dampening material and can´t hear my voice high enough i push it more. When i sing somewhere else in the house or in my car i don´t push my voice that hard. Jonpall:Yes i remember that this phrase "re-peat-ing" was the toughest to achieve except for the raspy part. The easiest was "di-scuss-ing", that phrase felt so easy and right.

It's a tough song!

To me, the first thing to work on is breath support, you put too much stress on your vocal folds. That why the voice "disconnect" in the higher scream part at 00:35 for exemple. You try too much to get a powerfull tone. I have the same problem.

My advice is to practice this song in lighter voice, at low volume and try to get a fuller tone step by step by increasing and controling the amount of breath support. That's what i do for me, and it seems to work.

Keep on working you have a great voice!!

I think you have your own solution, Olem. The reason you don't push your voice in your car is because the sound is not dampened and reflected back to you. You are able to adequately hear yourself. As for lighter head tones with raps, don't worry about the rasp until later. Just get the muscle memory of doing it lighter in head voice. The rasp could come later, maybe even as a fry, which will be eve lighter than the head tones. Joshua's recent topic with a song from Kotzen makes me think of that. A tone so light, Kotzen has fry, which sounds raspy, yet connected.

I know you are already capable of doing these things. You've actually over-trained and need to allow your self to pull back some.