Have some questions

Rate this topic

Quietfox

Hi, I'm unable to get lessons ATM, but really want to work on my voice. I have the singing success I just started working on and also watch tons of YouTube videos. I guess my main question is I always hear everyone hates their voice recorded. I have recorded myself so many times it doesn't bother me to hear it but I still don't like my voice even if I'm in pitch. I'm also terrified to have anyone hear me sing until I know I'm at least good enough so if I can sing and have some sort of talent will I still hate my recording? I feel like if you can sing and sound great you would know and maybe even like your recorded voice. I might put up a recorded song but have issues singing without the vocals like karaoke. I loose all confidence I have when I'm singing with vocals so any tips on that would be great. Thanks! Singing is very important to me so any tips or advice I get will be very much appreciated thank you! 

I might put up a recorded song but have issues singing without the vocals like karaoke. I loose all confidence I have when I'm singing with vocals so any tips on that would be great. Thanks! 

Sorry Quietfox, but I could not understand what you meant. Do You have problems singing to karaoke tracks (backing tracks) because the main vocal (lead melody) is missing? Or is it the other way around? Cheers

Haha sorry, I have trouble singing when the lead melody is missing. I usually have the music loud enough to match the volume I like to sing at because I feel most comfortable singing. When the lead melody is gone I get very quiet I guess not really wanting to hear my voice so all confidence is gone. My friend has heard a recording (though it was a song with lead melody so harder to pick me out) but says he thinks I sound good from what he can hear so I really want to be able to sing a karaoke version so he can clearly hear me sing, I'm just not sure how to work on that. 

If you are just using it for your own singing practice look for a Karaoke track on youtube. If it is a song that you are comfortable while singing along to the original, Make sure your Karaoke track is played in the original Key. Sing along with the original a few times ...... then sing with the Karaoke track.

Stop singing too soft when there is no vocals to sing along with. You need a certain amount of volume to give you enough air and vocal fold closure for things to work right.

What are you afraid of? What is the worst thing that is going to happen if someone hears you sing? Is the world going to stop spinning on its axis? Will we stop orbiting around the sun? Are  you going to die if someone hears you singing? Your friend thought your singing was okay. Was he lying? Do you doubt him or discount his opinion on other things, as well? Or just about your singing? And why is that?

Trust me I know, I feel like at the end I'll be more upset with myself for being anxious and shy about it then having a good time and just sing. I want to but it's like I have a panic attack I just shut down. I think I have it built up in my head that since I haven't sang in front of someone since I was a kid that when he or my family finally hears me sing I want them to be like whoa you're really good lol so I want to be good enough for me then I'd sing but then I feel like that'll never happen and I just need to do it but don't know how, it's a lot easier to say just sing it's no big deal and I know it's not but doesn't make it easier for me to actually do it. I know once I do it it'll be easier from there on out I just can't get out of my way

Go ahead and sing. Sing because you like to do it. We all will have those who do not like to hear the sound of our voice and those who love to hear us. We will also have those who say we suck because the other person can not do it themselves. Personal experience with that one.

I would much rather hear Janis Joplin Screaching than hear Celine Dion sing.  It is just a personal taste. But I would not have either one stop expressing themselves. You get better by singing and you get more comfortable singing in front of others by singing in front of others.

Listen to MDEW and start singing. Sure, you are going to make some bad notes and not everyone is going to fall and worship at your feet, to start. Shoot, some people like me worship no person, regardless of how good he or she is.

But I guarantee you will get absolutely no where if you don't sing.

My tag line is "winners never quit." Winners make as many mistakes, if not more than, as losers. The reason a winner makes more mistakes is because he never stops, never quits. Simple math.

If you are just using it for your own singing practice look for a Karaoke track on youtube. If it is a song that you are comfortable while singing along to the original, Make sure your Karaoke track is played in the original Key. Sing along with the original a few times ...... then sing with the Karaoke track.

Stop singing too soft when there is no vocals to sing along with. You need a certain amount of volume to give you enough air and vocal fold closure for things to work right.

and you might also try this...

sing along with a song (full track) listening over headphones while recording yourself.  Then, listen to the karaoke track mixed into one ear, while listening to your vocal on the other ear.  Sing along with yourself for multiple runthroughs, and even boost the volume in your ear and match it as you sing.

after about an hour of this, take a break, and then return to singing with yourself, but lower the volume of the vocal track just a bit. You issuing like you did before... Confident and strong.  Repeat a few times, and then lower the volume of the recorded coal a bit and repeat.  Over time you will find it progressively easier to maintain volume with the other voice softer.

in no time at all you will be singing a strong vocal,with just the karaoke track.

i hope this is helpful.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I love singing it's always on my mind, I'm always researching and trying to learn as much as I can and I singing for hours everyday. I can't wait until I get lessons I think it will help a lot. Singing is a very big passion in my life to the point, my dream has always been to sing in a band and connect with people but I've always been quiet and shy and think that's not me but it can be, so all of you guys thank you for giving me some advice and tips. I will work on it and hopefully put up a recording soon on here 

I guess my only other question is if I can sing well would I know by the recording? Or in general I feel like if you have skill in singing you'd know but when o hear myself recorded I feel like I sound like crap lol I'd hope if I actually can sing I would like the way i sound

Either way do not let it discourage you. Many of us still do not like the sound of our voice when we hear it . Mainly because what we hear in our head is not the same as what we hear when recorded.

Pitch and tone gets better with practice and having an idea of what to listen for in our own voices.

I guess my only other question is if I can sing well would I know by the recording? Or in general I feel like if you have skill in singing you'd know but when o hear myself recorded I feel like I sound like crap lol I'd hope if I actually can sing I would like the way i sound

Not automatically. What's important is, if you don't have everything down, you can learn. A lot of people don't really like how they sound, me included.

Yeah sometimes I over think singing because a lot of the time it's on my mind constantly I wana read up on it or watch videos, so I feel like I could be singing wrong and I need a vocal instructor to actually get good. My singing sounds just like my talking voice and I think from my last recording I sound like I'm going thru the motions even though I feel like I'm putting emotion in it but I'm pronouncing every word/letter so willing on that just not sure how to lol 

Yeah sometimes I over think singing because a lot of the time it's on my mind constantly I wana read up on it or watch videos, so I feel like I could be singing wrong and I need a vocal instructor to actually get good. My singing sounds just like my talking voice and I think from my last recording I sound like I'm going thru the motions even though I feel like I'm putting emotion in it but I'm pronouncing every word/letter so willing on that just not sure how to lol 

If you think about it constantly, you should probably transition into practicing constantly, instead of obsessing over whether you're good or not. A lot of the biggest names in music still practiced and had lessons, well after they developed talent and we're making a living off of it. If you're serious about singing, either as a potential career or hobby, you need to practice.

Right now, the best thing you can do is post a recording. That way, people can tell you where you stand and what you can work on. 

Everybody starts somewhere.

Yeah my job has me in the car all the time driving so I sing all the time, I could practice better by taking more time on warm ups I usually just warm up real quick then singing the song a bunch to learn the pitch and whatnot but I don't break it down so there's ways to improve my practicing time and I'll work on a recording, I have some but it's not karaoke the artist is singing so I feel like I have to do a karaoke so you guys know exactly what I sound like and as stated above I have trouble with it so I'm working on that and once I feel comfortable I'll put one up haha thanks again for all the responses I just have so many questions and no one to ask and can't seem to find my answers online