one for the teachers..why?

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hi folks,

I just saw this awesome 2010 heart video and i really would like to know why you folks think ann wilson did what she did:

notice at time 3:07 to 3:20 she sings two "how do i get you alone's" and the "o" vowel in the "alone's" is open and it's an "o" as in the word "oh." but when she does the next part just the "alone" at time 3:21 she has altered the vowel considerably to an "oo" sound as in "dune."

i know you're not her, but any speculation/opinion/reason as to why she went in that direction with the vowel?

it seems to me that was a harder route to those notes than the original "o".

thanks in advance for your help. bob

Bob - she does spread the "oh" vowel in alone. I don't know why whe chose to do this, but I've done the same thing in my songs - intentionally spreading the vowel so it doesn't sound so dark - so it cuts through the mix better. But whenever I do it, it never sounds right.

The 2nd part starting around 3:21 - it almost sounded like she changed the words from "alone" to "I love you", but it's hard to tell. I know with my KTVA dvd he wants us to modify some vowels from "oh" to "oo" the higher you go. If she is singing "alone" she may be following that strategy as it is a higher note.

Bob - she does spread the "oh" vowel in alone. I don't know why whe chose to do this, but I've done the same thing in my songs - intentionally spreading the vowel so it doesn't sound so dark - so it cuts through the mix better. But whenever I do it, it never sounds right.

The 2nd part starting around 3:21 - it almost sounded like she changed the words from "alone" to "I love you", but it's hard to tell. I know with my KTVA dvd he wants us to modify some vowels from "oh" to "oo" the higher you go. If she is singing "alone" she may be following that strategy as it is a higher note.

guitartrek: She broadens (spreads) the pronunciation to align the formants and harmonics to get the mode she wants. In the latter section, it sounds like she affects the pronunciation of the word to something like, a-loh-oon, sustaining the final sound, which I agree sounds like /u/. That sound is much less loud/dramatic as she is winding down the song.

All that said, I think she just wanted to end the song that way.

The 2nd part starting around 3:21 - it almost sounded like she changed the words from "alone" to "I love you", but it's hard to tell.

I agree. I think she is saying "I love you" for that last bit there (or even "I'ma lovin' you"). Otherwise she is pronouncing "alone" VERY oddly :D

guitartrek: She broadens (spreads) the pronunciation to align the formants and harmonics to get the mode she wants. In the latter section, it sounds like she affects the pronunciation of the word to something like, a-loh-oon, sustaining the final sound, which I agree sounds like /u/. That sound is much less loud/dramatic as she is winding down the song.

All that said, I think she just wanted to end the song that way.

i guess i read too much into it