Sign in to follow this  
Benns

head voice or chest?

Rate this topic

Hi guys, 

In my singing lesson, my teacher tried to get me to sing a song on different keys. She tried to get me to sing the song on a (what sounded like a high key) high key and for some reason, my voice automatically went into my head voice or maybe falsetto. And then when he played a low key for me to sing the song in, i automatically went to a very low chest sound. He wanted me to sing in my own normal  voice  when  singing  at that high key but for some reason, my voice just switched and went into a really airry voice.He also mentioned that it seems that for some reason, i have unconsciously told myself when it comes to the high notes of a piano, i have to switch to that airy tone but when it comes to the low notes of the pianio, i should switch to chest.  i think i have had this problem for as long as i can remember.   It's like i see it as,  high notes - only head/falsetto and low notes - only chest. 

Does anyone know how i  can combat this problem? I want to be able to sing the song at the higher keys, he played without unconsciously switching to that airy tone. 

Thanks!

I really hate to say this but if your teacher cannot help you out on that ... you need a new teacher.

That being said there are exercises and coordinations to learn and train. Skype lesson with Robert, Daniel, Jens or a myriad of others could get you on track. But there is work to be done.

I really hate to say this but if your teacher cannot help you out on that ... you need a new teacher.

That being said there are exercises and coordinations to learn and train. Skype lesson with Robert, Daniel, Jens or a myriad of others could get you on track. But there is work to be done.

Well, to be fair. The lesson was just about to finish when he mentioned it. So, he never had time to go too much into it. I was just wondering if there was something i could do, in the meantime till my next lesson.

Until you find a reason otherwise ... trust your teacher. If he tries to tell you that you will never sing above F4 or something like that.   RUN.    Then look into Roberts program ...... The Four Pillars of Singing. Actually, search youtube for Robert Lunte, Daniel Formica, View some of their videos ..... like and subscribe. Of couse search this forum ...... Read the threads here, watch the videos that you see.

Until you find a reason otherwise ... trust your teacher. If he tries to tell you that you will never sing above F4 or something like that.   RUN.    Then look into Roberts program ...... The Four Pillars of Singing. Actually, search youtube for Robert Lunte, Daniel Formica, View some of their videos ..... like and subscribe. Of couse search this forum ...... Read the threads here, watch the videos that you see.

Hahah, fair enough. But is there nothing i could do untlll my next lesson? I guess, in am somewhat of an impatient learner lol

Read the thread "The ultimate secret to high notes" by Felipe and Mix Vs Head by Daniel.  Watch all the videos in those threads. That is a good start.

Hi guys, 

In my singing lesson, my teacher tried to get me to sing a song on different keys. She tried to get me to sing the song on a (what sounded like a high key) high key and for some reason.............. And then when he played a low key for me to sing the song in........

Just curious - is your teacher a "she" or a "he"?

Your problem is a very common one - you haven't yet developed the ability to stay connected through your passagio and into a connected head voice.  

A lot of beginners will try to muscle through the passagio by pulling chest, but you seem to simply skip this, and switch to falsetto. 

Staying connected through the passagio and then learning how to keep your folds adducted once you are past the passagio is a skill anyone can learn.  But it takes a lot of hard work.  If your teacher is good, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, he (or she) will be able to train you to do this.  And if you have issues singing below the passagio, in the range of your normal chest voice, he (or she) may want to focus on this area first - and not even attempt the passagio training - until those issues are resolved.   That's fine too.  

This is a long process with a lot of hard work.  If you truly want to become a good singer you'll need to put in some serious work.  But you will eventually be able to do this stuff.