What type of vocal distortion should I apply?

Rate this topic

staticsound

First of hello, new here and I guess there's not a search function, so this may have been asked before. First off, singer for 9 years and currently using Jamie Vendera's material to better myself. I sing mainly hard rock stuff. I currently front a 90's cover band and am looking for a little help with distortion. I can do the low grit that Jamie touches on, but I can't carry that all the way up my range. Specifically, Man in the Box by AIC. I can easily hit the Bb in the chorus, but when I distort it, it's sounds more like a Brian Johnson scream. I've watched videos of Layne and the new guy and they both hit that with more of a low rumbling distortion....any tips. Thanks

Here's what I'm talking about. Chorus is about 1:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjAIxFnyo8

Maybe my Would? topic can help. Sometimes it's good to hear the songs from non-pro (like me lol). feel free to say something there ;-).

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=1421

My tips are: really strong support, i don't open open the jaw too much, really big smile and a high tongue (the back of the tongue not the front) and above all (for me) try to fit in the "character", try to be Layne Stanley.

But it's just my first attempt at distortion, so i may be completely wrong.

It would be better to hear you do it, but it sounds like your vocal folds are too thin when you attempt this. I think that you have to use medium thickness to get that sound. If you have them TOO thick, you'll probably lose your voice for a few hours. What I'm talking about is what some people call curbing or mixed voice, but with some sort of rasp on top of (distortion, creaking, whatever you want to call it). Don't be discouraged - what you want to be able to do is the holy grail of rock singing - singing notes in the tenor range (and perhaps above) with power and/or rasp. We're all searching for it with different levels of success. Start by using the search feature on this site. In CVT terms it sounds like you're doing distortion or creaking on top of a neutral or metal-like-neutral mode while your mode should be curbing or even a mix between curbing and overdrive in order to get that sound. I have no idea if that sounds like Greek to you. One way to remedy that is to sing the same way you have been doing but add a little "cry" sound to your tone, which will thicken up your tone with JUST the right amount without hurting your throat. Keep experimenting, man! :)

@joshual - that sounded killer dude, that's pretty much what I'm talking about, any advice on how you got that sound? That's exactly what I'm going for. My lower head/upper chest range is my problem area when it comes to a thick gritty sound..

@jonpall - I finally found the search function and spent about an hour analyzing that huge thread on vocal curbing. I'm gonna give it a shot today.

I can post a clip later and let guys hear what I'm talking about. That Bb is easy for me to hit....it's just making it sound chestier..:/

i copy again lol but be carefull i'm just experimening. And keep also in mind that my voice has always have a natural raspy tone...

My tips are: really strong support, i don't open open the jaw too much, really big smile and a high tongue (the back of the tongue not the front) and above all (for me) try to fit in the "character", try to be Layne Stanley.

Be sure you're overblowing air, try to get a "hold" on your support. In my topic snax said an important thing, first try to get a clean strong tone on your high notes before ;-).

I also realize that trying to get a "texas/cowboy accent" helped me a lot lol...

First off, I like the tone of your voice. Second, for the distortion on the high pitch, it sounds like you are doing a fry. See what a twang so tight that it produces a rattle that feels like it is near the soft palette or the epiglottis feels and sounds like. That's what the original sounds like, to me.

First off, I like the tone of your voice. Second, for the distortion on the high pitch, it sounds like you are doing a fry. See what a twang so tight that it produces a rattle that feels like it is near the soft palette or the epiglottis feels and sounds like. That's what the original sounds like, to me.

Thanks man, I sorta half-assed that clip, just so I could give an example of the issue I was having, lol. Yeah, I guess it is more of a "fry" distortion. I can to that twang/rattle, pretty much the low grit that Jamie Vendera talks about in his book. I just can't get it to kick in when I'm in belt mode :/ That's what it sounds like to me as well. Back to experimenting!

Maybe i'm wrong because i have no video but for me you're opening your jaw (mouth?) too much. When i open my jaw i have a natural habit, i try to let my bottom lips in the same place, not following the jaw. Sorry if i dont express it well lol. When i do that i've got a really strange face but it "darkens" a bit my tone.

Second thing maybe the vowel is not right, i hear a " ha" as " a" in french try to turn it more into a "hey". It's certainly not the right terms (i'm not english).

Although, the tone is good, it's not like the original but it sound more personal too ;-).

Ok, here's a quick snippet of the chorus I just threw together. I've been experimenting with that "covering" technique all morning, lol. Anyways, I was trying to sound less heady..

http://soundcloud.com/static-prevails/mib_chorus

I'd recommend just 1% more "hold" or "cry" in order to make your sound 1% more thicker, resulting in a, um, more than 1% better tone :) That would get you from neutral to curbing/mix.

the hold is a ligth tightening of the abs ( it think)

Ah, copy that. I was doing that, so maybe I'll tighten down a bit more. You were right about the jaw thing, bty. I tried it not opening my mouth as wide and boom, darker tone. I just need to work on the rattle thing now.

Ah, copy that. I was doing that, so maybe I'll tighten down a bit more. You were right about the jaw thing, bty. I tried it not opening my mouth as wide and boom, darker tone. I just need to work on the rattle thing now.

Nonono, the hold has nothing to do with the abs. :) It's calling forth a sensation one has when crying. It's alot easier to explain in real life though if someone just shows you the sound.

Nonono, the hold has nothing to do with the abs. :) It's calling forth a sensation one has when crying. It's alot easier to explain in real life though if someone just shows you the sound.

Ok, I know the "cry" technique you are talking about. I notice there is a lot of effort to get that effect on the higher pitches...this is assuming I'm doing it correctly, lol. I'll get this eventually...