Sign in to follow this  
Rosa

Famous male singers I like

Rate this topic

I was reading a thread about baritones, saying that they are not easy to find now. The thread is old and long so I am starting this one and plan to bring more singers, for those who only know the modern ones (I know the older ones :D ). I have also noticed that the heroes in this forum are mostly Heavy Metal singers, which I don't generally know myself. 

So I am starting with a baritone, who is very very famous. I have always liked him, because he sings my kind of music, but now when I started thinking of technique, I have to say that he is really good. In Spanish we sometimes call singers "intérpretes", because they are somehow acting too. And this one is not an oldie! I know many young people like him as well.

Some of his songs could be good practice for those wanting to practice in the high baritone area. This is a challenging song.

Michael Bublè - Me & Mrs. Jones.

A3-A5

He often sings in duets and his baritone voice shines with the sopranos.

Cool to see Gary get a mention. I ma big fan. He had a whole career as a hard rocker and yet was almost unknown in America. Then he did the "Still Got the Blues" album and a lot of people think that was the start of his career lol.

His guitar playing always overshadowed his singing. I think early on he stuck to the "guitar keys" and maybe they didnt fit his voice so well...so some of his singing came across as almost shouting. I think later on he found better keys to match his voice.

Dude could write some really nice ballads. Here is the first song of his I ever heard back in like 1986. I had no idea who it was.

and of course...

I have to confess I got to know him with his ballads. I also like some more festive like "Walking by myself", but I was never into very hard rock... Those I love. Parisienne Walkaways wow! And, yes, composers are especial in that they don't need to be great singers since it is enough they create those beautiful songs.

I've found another baritone among my favs, with lovely songs to train! Neil Diamond.

Keep bringing your favorite, JonJon. :D:)

Ab3-F5

im sure you already know all the standard famous guys etc. Here is a guy you may not be aware of. Probably not a baritone though lol

John Sykes. A lot in common with Gary Moore actually. They were both in Thin Lizzy and tight friends with Phil Lynott. They also happened to be 2 of the best hard rock singer/guitar player front men ever.

John then went on to be in Whitesnake and played the guitar on the huge 1987 "Whitesnake" album. Then David Coverdale fired the whole band lol. John went on to found Blue Murder in the late 80s. After looking for a singer for a couple of years he finally just had to do it himself....and he is great IMO! lotsa soul and very melodic rock.Obviously his singing is overshadowed because he was already famous for years as a guitar player. only problem with John is that he only puts out an album like once every 7 years hehe

This is a rock ballad with a heavy early 90s production. But that first vocal line just kills me the way the whole song fades in etc. One thing about John...his lead guitar also has a very "vocal" quality when he chooses to play that way. he has one of the best guitar vibratos ever. a very unique talent but virtually unknown

Another beautiful ballad I first heard over 25 years ago. I cant even listen to it now due to one too many broken hearts lol. Its got a great slow build and lots of nice harmony IMO. I love the harmonized line "I swear I never dreamed that we would ever drift apart" (3:33) and again, the beautiful singing guitar solo

Dude is just SO soulful. See (2:46) "If im standing in the crowd, ya know I STIIILL feel so alone"  Some of this sounds like its near the top of his range

he had several solo albums in the mid90s into the 2000s but I wasnt even listening to music much thru that period so I havent checked out all of it yet, but you might like his "loveland" album, which i think was mostly ballads. The tone on the guitar solo is just so epic lol. Nice singing too IMO

I like it! Is he famous in the UK? You are right...I didn't know any of these songs.

I know this one, which it seems he wrote ("Is this love?" - Whitesnake).

E4-B5 (E minor)

yeah, he wrote most all of that album...all except for some songs that were redone from older Whitesnake albums. Dunno if id say he is "famous" in the UK but he is certainly known in guitar/hard rock circles.

He never was really famous in the US either. He probably WOULD have been except, as I said, David Coverdale fired the whole band after they recorded that album. He hired a whole new crew to tour with etc. The album turned out to be one of the biggest albums in the 80s. Huge sales worldwide.

When John did Blue Murder, the "hair metal" was already one the way out so Blue Murder never got well known compared to Whitesnake.

here is  John rockin' some late 80s cheesy rock vid lol. This song is like 2 different songs in 1...a faster rock beginning with a ballad feel at the end

Here is John back with Whitesnake on the album just before the huge one. Of course, David Coverdale is one of the greatest rock singers ever.

I tried getting into some of those rock god guitar poses and I hurt my back lol

I love that type of music, Gsoul82! But this recording in particular is confusing, other than we can see the Baritone is the Star :D Find us a better one! :)

These are Mexican father and son, Tenor and Baritone. The father was very famous, but I bet the son is even more.

I've found a new term for Alejandro Fernández, Barítono Martín (never heard it before).

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar%C3%ADtono_mart%C3%ADn

44 minutes ago, Rosa said:

I love that type of music, Gsoul82! But this recording in particular is confusing, other than we can see the Baritone is the Star :D Find us a better one! :)

These are Mexican father and son, Tenor and Baritone. The father was very famous, but I bet the son is even more.

I've found a new term for Alejandro Fernández, Barítono Martín (never heard it before).

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar%C3%ADtono_mart%C3%ADn

Here's the original song:

When you listen to this one, and then listen to the performance I linked, you notice all the cool re-harmonizations they did.

ronws, I didn't know Thin Lizzy, but that video has reminded me of my teenager times :D So here we have Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), who is defined somewhere as Romantic Lyric Baritone. 

C3-B5 (the range must include the backup vocals)

Rosa, you are getting a rock education today lol.

I KNOW you have heard this Thin Lizzy song from way back in the day. This is cut down lip sync version from '76

Like I said earlier, John Sykes cut his teeth in a later version of Thin Lizzy. Thin Lizzy front man Phil Lynott was pretty much a lyrical genius and a poet. Unfortunately he passed away in his 30's in 1986

one of Phils signature style bittersweet romance ballads with John Sykes lyrical guitar

igEiVBdhiVs

No, Jon, I didn't know that song of Thin Lizzy. I don't know why...maybe there is some song that became famous here but none of those, and his name doesn't ring a bell either.

ronws, Tom Petty's name is famous, but I don't know his music much. But I know many of Billy Joel songs! (Now that I think of it, I don't know him physically). With Idol again I know more the name than his songs (ah this song I like very much and sounds very familiar).

Paul Shortino (didn't know) looks like a Tenor. Very interesting voice. Maybe they were too erotic for their time and could have succeeded more at present? Sounds good!

I have just discovered Aztec Camera are Scottish. I didn't understand much of the lyrics either, but bought their LP with my own money. :D I've never heard of them again, but guess you'll know them, Jon. Paying attention to the singer now, he has a lovely charismatic voice that looks baritone.