Sign in to follow this  
Robert Lunte

Robert Lunte - THIS LIFE - Vocal Distortion & High Screams

Rate this topic

The Definition of "Scream".  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is vocal distortion and high pitched notes both considered to be "screams"?

• Yes.
    • No.

Happy New Year!

A song I wrote with and produced with "Thin Black Line". Engineered at Synergy Productions. Probably influenced a bit by Peter Murphy's album, "Deep", which is is characterized by rich, baritone sound colors, minus the super high screams of course because Peter Murphy doesn't scream like this. Hope you enjoy it. To learn more about TVS training, check out our program for singers here: http://www.TheFourPillarsofSinging.com.

Cloud Burst, from unlit skies

cloud bust, from unleht skuh-eez

Onward – Way ward lives

Now pretend, until you overcome

Now Prehtend, un tell yuh ovuh come

And decent, Hide from everyone

hand dehsend , hud from everyone

chorus

I would be your eyes

I well beh yuh uh-eez

When you look away, and I

When yuh luck uh weh

Would be your dreams

Wud beh yuh-r drehms

At the Break of Day, and…

hat thuh brehk ov deh hand

I would be your fear)

I wuld beh yuh-r fehr

On the night we pray and I……….

Hon duh nuh-eet weh prey hand duh-ee

Now wonder,  where secret lies

And hunger - Until you realize

Chorus

I would be your eyes

I well bay yuh uh-eez

When yuh luck uh weh

Would be your dreams

Wud bay yuh-r drayms

At the Break of Day, and…

hat thuh brehk ov deh hand

I would be your fear)

I wuld beh yuh-r fehr

On the night we pray and I……….

Hon duh nuh-eet weh prey hand duh-ee

I!!!!!

HI am this life

W&R Onset 

I am this life

I am this LIFEE!!

I am this life

I am this life

I am this LIFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solo----------

3:17 SCREAMING!!!

I would be your eyes

Would be your dreams

At the Break of Day, and...

I Would be you your fear

On the nights we pray and I……….

I am this life X15

The one at 2:32 obviously wasnt a "scream" IMO...the one at 2:48 was pretty much a nice controlled scream I guess lol. It was a beautiful thing too lol. Sort of Gillianish

Every time you do that it makes me think of Marq Torien from the BulletBoys.

for example the scream at 2:52 here

Okay, the new rule is....we allhave to throw in a good scream around 2:48- 2:52 in our songs lol

LOL... Hey Jon... your cool... Welcome to the forum.

Ya, I totally agree... we have to all do a high pitched heavy metal scream... if you don't do one by 2:48 in your song, you're just not hard core enough. Learn to do face melting metal screams or go home!

:headbang:

Glad you liked it, thanks for listening... Hey, btw.. are you my client? Are you the Jon that recently purchased, The Four Pillars of Singing training system?

Also you are right, the one at 2:32 is not a scream, it is a belt. The one at 2:48 is an ESD... Extreme Scream Pitch.

yes, same guy lol. Im working on the FBR and doing some sirens.

I still cant do a smooth bridge even with lift and pull back lol. Still a little yodel in there.

I have a few songs up for review also. One from like a year ago and two from the last couple days

45 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

LOL... Hey Jon... your cool... Welcome to the forum.

Ya, I totally agree... we have to all do a high pitched heavy metal scream... if you don't do one by 2:48 in your song, you're just not hard core enough. Learn to do face melting metal screams or go home!

Glad you liked it, thanks for listening... Hey, btw.. are you my client? Are you the Jon that recently purchased, The Four Pillars of Singing training system?

Also you are right, the one at 2:32 is not a scream, it is a belt. The one at 2:48 is an ESD... Extreme Scream Pitch.

2:48 - Oh hell yes !!! And at (approximately) 3:23 ---- SWEET !!!!!!

@ Jon  

For some reason, I'm not that good at writing testimonials, but I've know Robert for over eight years now, and have each and every version of "Pillars" including all of the updates. The most recent "version" is the most comprehensive vocal training program you will find. I assure you that you won't be disappointed !!! Had it not been for Robert, I would never have the vocal skills that I have today !!!

I also want to extend you a very warm Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

BTW - "Chicken in the Sink" is really cool ! :DancingChicken:

Regards,

Adolph

38 minutes ago, Adolph Namlik said:

2:48 - Oh hell yes !!! And at (approximately) 3:23 ---- SWEET !!!!!!

@ Jon  

For some reason, I'm not that good at writing testimonials, but I've know Robert for over eight years now, and have each and every version of "Pillars" including all of the updates. The most recent "version" is the most comprehensive vocal training program you will find. I assure you that you won't be disappointed !!! Had it not been for Robert, I would never have the vocal skills that I have today !!!

I also want to extend you a very warm Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

BTW - "Chicken in the Sink" is really cool ! :DancingChicken:

Regards,

Adolph

Thanks Adolph,

yeah, ive been watching all the lecture and demonstration vids. I havent delved into the book as much yet but I can tell its really deep. Thats good because im one of those people who want to know every detail of how things work lol

Yeah, the Chicken in the Sink lol...unfortunately a true story hehe

2 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Jon, take some lessons with me so I can get under the hood with you and coach you through your challenges on that bridge.

DoI need a smart phone for that? all I have is a dumb phone lol

This is great :) You are making some vowelchoices in thisone that i really like! To me it sounds like you directing(modifying) the voice slightly more towards the Ah/A then what you usually do. Am I hearing this correctly? Anyways brings out alot more creamy colors of your voice wich i personaly enjoy :)

Screams are epic as usuall well done ;) 

Well done, Robert.

I voted no on the survey because I view a scream as uncontrolled. What you did was from technique. It is singing a high pitched note with distortion added.

Even if others describe it as or think of it as a scream does not mean it is a scream as I think of a scream. To me, screaming is what a lot of people do at concerts and sporting events that results in hoarseness and some loss of voice that takes a day or so to recover from.

Whereas, what you did is managable. You could take a moment to drink water while the bass player re-tunes and then launch into another song and do a whole set.

On January 1, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Danielformica said:

Nice screams and I dig the adlibbing at the end :) nice melodies 

Oh cool, thanks Dan for chiming in... I just saw this. I'm not getting my email notifications for some reason. I appreciate your support.

On January 2, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Jens said:

This is great :) You are making some vowelchoices in thisone that i really like! To me it sounds like you directing(modifying) the voice slightly more towards the Ah/A then what you usually do. Am I hearing this correctly? Anyways brings out alot more creamy colors of your voice wich i personaly enjoy :)

Screams are epic as usuall well done ;) 

Sorry for not responding earlier Jens, was getting notification emails...

Thanks for your support and feedback.  Yes, I have been training more with glottal attacks ( attack & release onsets ) and more of the Neutral vowel, with in the TVS system  is the centered resonance vowel and it tends to be great for resistance training and practicing with narrowing. I remember when I was tracking this... on the belts right before the hook, I was working on getting the resonance more forward and less "curbed"... generally speaking, that is something I have been working on a lot in the past 18 months, shifting forward to Neutral and Edging positions to get more "bite" and ping in the sound color.

Ya, the ESP... super high metal scream thing... Been doing that since I was 15, Im a kid from the 80s... I can't help it.

On January 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM, ronws said:

Well done, Robert.

I voted no on the survey because I view a scream as uncontrolled. What you did was from technique. It is singing a high pitched note with distortion added.

Even if others describe it as or think of it as a scream does not mean it is a scream as I think of a scream. To me, screaming is what a lot of people do at concerts and sporting events that results in hoarseness and some loss of voice that takes a day or so to recover from.

Whereas, what you did is managable. You could take a moment to drink water while the bass player re-tunes and then launch into another song and do a whole set.

Thanks for your support Ron... 

Yes, I think that is another definition of scream... lol.  In my book, I point out that there are two kinds of screams... in the context of singing; distortion and high pitch. I call them ESD (Extreme Scream Distortion) and ESPs (Extreme Scream Pitch)... this song definitely features ESPs. Thanks for listening Ron.

On January 6, 2016 at 5:59 PM, VideoHere said:

Hiya Rob.  I enjoyed that.  Are you keeping your arms out to help keep your ribs expanded?

Hey Bob... thanks for listening and your support... this is a good question.

As I started spending more time recording / tracking in the last 18 months, I noticed that I use my arms like this... I can honestly say, it was not really a contentious thing nor is it a technique in The Four Pillars of Singing... although maybe I should mention it. What I do know is... this is extrinsic anchoring. It is helping me with the belts. I believe it is helping to increase and stabilize the sub-glottal respiration pressure under the vocal folds... thus, a stable, good respiration position. It also seems to help to keep the singing in a TA dominant position so I can maintain the belt. It may look funny, but it REALLY helps keep the belts going.

On January 7, 2016 at 1:22 AM, jonpall said:

One of your better ones, IMO. Great job Robert. Cheers.

Hey Jonpall, thanks for listening and your support. Ya, I think its cool... I'll keep charging... more to come... 

The new resistance training techniques in Pillars4.0 are really helping everyone, even me... get stronger... the new belt stuff.

Wooooooo! @ 2:48

Then you walked it out like a boss!

It's good to see stuff like this, because I know I'm not the only one who saw this and wanted to bust out Pillars right after.

On January 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Gsoul82 said:

Wooooooo! @ 2:48

Then you walked it out like a boss!

It's good to see stuff like this, because I know I'm not the only one who saw this and wanted to bust out Pillars right after.

Thanks a lot Geoff, that is cool... I appreciate your support!

On January 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM, gno said:

Excellent - singing, composition, lyrics, production.  Great job.

Thanks a lot GNO. I know you don't hand 'em out easy. That means a lot coming from you... I appreciate your support and glad you liked it. More to come... 

Thanks Lien. However, those high notes are not Falsetto. They are full chest voice, or belts.

Here is the other stuff I have done recently if your interested.

This is the entire playlist...