Sign in to follow this  
Mike Arcane

First song higher note problems- rock

Rate this topic

Hi there I often have trouble hitting higher notes during the first song of the set- or first take if recording.

From the second song onwards I'm fine with my whole range.

I warm up using the Melissa Cross warm up and some lip bubbles. I have tried softly singing in addition to this also, but regardless the first song problem remains (no matter what the song is I will struggle with the upper mid to high notes.)

Any advice would be much appreciated, its so frustrating. Thanks ! 

Maybe you have red-light syndrome. Regardless of warm-up, you are seizing up, right out of the gate. So, with recording, just accept that you are going to derail on the first pass and let it go, knowing that you will get better takes later.

I know one guy who does 6 full takes of a song. Not because he is nervous. He just fines that his voice really starts to get warm in the song, moreso than in the warm-up before hand.

18 minutes ago, ronws said:

Maybe you have red-light syndrome. Regardless of warm-up, you are seizing up, right out of the gate. So, with recording, just accept that you are going to derail on the first pass and let it go, knowing that you will get better takes later.

I know one guy who does 6 full takes of a song. Not because he is nervous. He just fines that his voice really starts to get warm in the song, moreso than in the warm-up before hand.

yeah that occurred to me too. cheers ! 

Red light syndrome sucks. Same thing with first song of the night. Take a few minutes to sing the song, like you would in front of the microphone or crowd,  while in your car or in the restroom/waiting room at the location where you are going to sing it. Trying to sing it quietly is going to screw you up.

I have the same problem at home when others are around. I try to sing it too soft and the whole configuration is thrown off the mark. You have to practice the song in the same volume you will be singing it live or recording.

3 hours ago, MDEW said:

Red light syndrome sucks. Same thing with first song of the night. Take a few minutes to sing the song, like you would in front of the microphone or crowd,  while in your car or in the restroom/waiting room at the location where you are going to sing it. Trying to sing it quietly is going to screw you up.

I have the same problem at home when others are around. I try to sing it too soft and the whole configuration is thrown off the mark. You have to practice the song in the same volume you will be singing it live or recording.

thanks