Different singing methods - please share your experiences!

Rate this topic

ZiggyPop

I know that 'best' is a four letter word! What I'm hoping for here is that everyone can comment on their first-hand experience of a particular teachers approach and materials. I think it would be really useful if we put some notes in regarding our voice type, progress, materials used, lessons taken and what we're aiming for. Here's mine...

Roger Kain - Total vocal workout book/cd + 6 years of private lessons.

Roger pushes you really hard and will find the limits of what you can do (high and low) then start working from there. With me there was a strong emphasis on the mixed voice (head/falsetto mix) as a way into the high notes. I've had a massive improvement in tone and my range has grown at the top from F above midC to A above midC.

My voice - strong bassy baritone, awful to begin with and MUCH better now. Still way off what I want it to be though (Cobain/Cornell).

So please share your experiences of SLS, Ken tamplin, four pillars, etc. Many thanks! Hopefully this will turn into a very useful sticky.:D

p.s Just to clear up a couple of things I've read on this forum about Roger. Firstly on his Cds those are his students singing- one (unknown) male and the lady is Skye from Morcheeba. Roger doesn't trade on his students names and won't namedrop famous people, but skye is named on the cd. He does sing some of the harder exercises on the cd (the harder mixed voice ones and that massive diaphragm exercise) and can sing what he teaches.

hardly dare to post at this forum anymore since it got so technical and the members so knowledgeable :P

I've only managed to wrap my head a little around SLS, the only way Ive found of getting a reasonable tone with little strain in the throat. I also use a little 'curbing' (crying) with a modicum of success.

hardly dare to post at this forum anymore since it got so technical and the members so knowledgeable :P

I've only managed to wrap my head a little around SLS, the only way Ive found of getting a reasonable tone with little strain in the throat. I also use a little 'curbing' (crying) with a modicum of success.

matt, glad to have you here man. i wish you didn't feel that way.

Honestly, i think there's something good in every method. As a beginner i spend lots of money on programs. I have or had: SingingSuccess, James Lugo, Jaime Vendera, Four Pillars, Ken tamplin, Jim Gillette, soon to get CVI and TCM.

In every method i've found some interresting things to help me singing my style (soul/rock à la Cornell/Kotzen...). Some helped me more than others that's all. But what worked for me may not worl for somebody else...

I know that 'best' is a four letter word! What I'm hoping for here is that everyone can comment on their first-hand experience of a particular teachers approach and materials. I think it would be really useful if we put some notes in regarding our voice type, progress, materials used, lessons taken and what we're aiming for. Here's mine...

Roger Kain - Total vocal workout book/cd + 6 years of private lessons.

Roger pushes you really hard and will find the limits of what you can do (high and low) then start working from there. With me there was a strong emphasis on the mixed voice (head/falsetto mix) as a way into the high notes. I've had a massive improvement in tone and my range has grown at the top from F above midC to A above midC.

My voice - strong bassy baritone, awful to begin with and MUCH better now. Still way off what I want it to be though (Cobain/Cornell).

So please share your experiences of SLS, Ken tamplin, four pillars, etc. Many thanks! Hopefully this will turn into a very useful sticky.:D

p.s Just to clear up a couple of things I've read on this forum about Roger. Firstly on his Cds those are his students singing- one (unknown) male and the lady is Skye from Morcheeba. Roger doesn't trade on his students names and won't namedrop famous people, but skye is named on the cd. He does sing some of the harder exercises on the cd (the harder mixed voice ones and that massive diaphragm exercise) and can sing what he teaches.

ziggy...did you train with roger kain in person?

i have used his cd and book and man you really do get a workout. i really liked it because he teaches you not to fear your effort. his method is very strenuous vs. other methods.