Dealing with jaw tension

Rate this topic

IndrasNet

I may be wrong, but at those notes, in that mode, (and what vowel?) i would assume you'd have a little tension..try this..as you sing a siren and get up to those notes turn your head slowly back and forth....is the note the same sound?

we need steve fraser...hey steve, you've got some catching up to do..get back here...lol!!!! how about that other guy...chantenuse (or something like that)...lol!!!

you mean chanteurmoderne ? :P

I only have one piece of advice, and it would be moving the tensed area while focusing on something else. Movement releases tension, and when the attention is drawn away, we don't tend to tense inconsciously. Try chewing like a cow.

you mean chanteurmoderne ? :P

I only have one piece of advice, and it would be moving the tensed area while focusing on something else. Movement releases tension, and when the attention is drawn away, we don't tend to tense inconsciously. Try chewing like a cow.

Ronron: this is great advice. Even if the movement is very subtle, and not visible, it works well.

Other advices I have heard through the years focus on the use of the deep inhalation, even the sniff, to let go of the tension that can accumulate in the phrase.

The long-term goal is to disassociate phonation and the tension, replacing the current habit with a new one. that will take time. Very often, for tension of this kind, the tongue is the culprit. its been my experience that certain vowel pronunciations are tending toward rigidity of tongue position when this happens. The remedy is very direct: begin to train the tongue to be continually in motion to the proper places for all the vowels, _especially_ /u/, which is (IMO) too often pronounced by letting the lips do too much of the work... the tongue is a slacker ;-)

I've been doing what Steven suggested quite a lot over the past 2 months and it helps immensely.

It seems sometimes I have so much tension in that area that moving the jaw around and opening it all the way down

brings me a feeling of relaxation just like when getting a massage you feel all the tension going away. Has helped greatly.