Vocal Asylum

Rate this topic

Jeran

I've been using it quite a lot and for me it was perfect. It was Lugo's excercises that made me discover my "tenor range" and stabilize it enough to land singer jobs as a tenor. I'd warmly recommend it. It's a DVD and two cd:s (one for males and one for females) with the excercises to sing along to. Doesn't cover how to safely ad grit to your voice, but for range extention, working the passagio and practicing twang it's awesome (Lugo doesn't call it twang in his program though).

Can't compare it to Robert's program since I haven't used it, I'm sure it's also very good. You kind of have to find the method that works best for your voice, so if one program dosen't do the job then maybe another one will. I'd recommend you to buy a few books about the voice as well to read up, I read everything I can afford or borrow. "Complete Vocal Technique" is definately a must read :)

http://jameslugo.com/order.shtml

I think you have to drop him an email about you wanting to buy the program.

I've been using it quite a lot and for me it was perfect. It was Lugo's excercises that made me discover my "tenor range" and stabilize it enough to land singer jobs as a tenor. I'd warmly recommend it. It's a DVD and two cd:s (one for males and one for females) with the excercises to sing along to. Doesn't cover how to safely ad grit to your voice, but for range extention, working the passagio and practicing twang it's awesome (Lugo doesn't call it twang in his program though).

Can't compare it to Robert's program since I haven't used it, I'm sure it's also very good. You kind of have to find the method that works best for your voice, so if one program dosen't do the job then maybe another one will. I'd recommend you to buy a few books about the voice as well to read up, I read everything I can afford or borrow. "Complete Vocal Technique" is definately a must read :)

http://jameslugo.com/order.shtml

I think you have to drop him an email about you wanting to buy the program.

Marcus: I agree: He should send James a note. He's a member of this list, and should welcome an enquiry from a prospective customer.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks! i'll keep that in mind.

you know whats funny is that when i do his exercises...there comes a point where my body feels so tempted to switch gears to falsetto instead of maintaining full/head voice and im really trying to hold on and keep going and all of a sudden i give up and my voice just flips wobbly into falsetto ha. gotta focus more.

Has anybody used it, and how was it? Does it compare to Robert's program?

And I may be stupid, but I can't find a link to buy it on his site...

i agree with marcus and the other guys...i am currently using it and it is really good, but be willing to work because it's a fast paced workout.

lugo is an animal!!!...lol!!! he's big on not letting you flip into falsetto and getting power and substance into the head voice.

i also like his vocal help backing track dubbed over the piano which reminds you to stay relaxed, keep the jaw loose, and tells you appropriate times where you need to slightly tighten the belly. it's highly recommended for rockers.

thanks! i'll keep that in mind.

you know whats funny is that when i do his exercises...there comes a point where my body feels so tempted to switch gears to falsetto instead of maintaining full/head voice and im really trying to hold on and keep going and all of a sudden i give up and my voice just flips wobbly into falsetto ha. gotta focus more.

hey stan, take it up as high as you can without straining, then if you need to, you can flip.....just each time you practise an exercise, try to have a goal of making that "flip" a last resort. those tongue out exercises are a bitch especially the "ee" to "ah" but you really get a good tongue workout too.

Hey guys just saw this. I use to have a shopping cart on my site but it got to be to much to keep up with so I just sell them one at a time myself. On the PRICES page it tells you that you can paypal, mail a check or call in a credit card:

http://www.jameslugo.com/order.shtml

You can also just email or call me: james@jameslugo.com / 818 259 0190

The CD portion of the system is pretty intense but I do say to stop where you feel comfortable or stop slightly out of you comfort zone. Unfortunately you have to make these programs fit many people and everybody is in a different place with different ranges. For me if you're on the vocal journey I think it is good to study with multiple good coaches. That's what I did, some coaches taught me what to do and some taught me what not to do. Either way it's all good. If anyone is using my program and feeling any discomfort call me, it maybe just a little tweak. The main this is to stay relaxed and let the body do its thing. Like Keith Davis use to say, 'don't do anything'. Let your body work, relax and get out of the way.

James

The program arrived today, and I just wanted to give my first impressions for anyone else thinking about purchasing Vocal Asylum.

First things first: It's just a DVD-R and two CD-Rs with some stick on labels. Now, some may count that against it, but not me. It was sort of refreshing open the mailing envelope and not be bombarded by ads and testimonials and slick marketing. It was sort of like a "let the music do the talking" sort of thing. It's a rock singing program, not one of Brett Manning's billboards.

The DVD: The DVD is informative in general. It goes over the basics of how the vocal mechanism works. But James explained it in a way that made it make sense to me. He used layman's terms and didn't give me all of the vocal nerd stuff I don't so much care for. Quick, to the point, and an informative refresher course on what's going on in there.

James takes you through the exercises with a guy and girl. Now, James is using very standard Singing Success type Mums, Gugs, lip rolls, tongue rolls and the like. But the difference for me is how he explained doing them. He tells you when to support, when to open the jaw, and a few other things that Brett Manning never told me. He also throws in some mental imagery, like when to think down as you're going up, that really made sense to me. I've heard of doing that numerous times, but the way it was explained clicked.

Then he's got some other exercises that I haven't seen elsewhere.

One thing I really like: No modes, no heavy technical jargon. I've never been a huge fan of getting bogged down by which mode I'm in, what formant and all that. That sort of takes the fun out of singing for me. I do like to know what's going on, and what I'm doing, but a lot of teachers get way too technical, and I come away feeling like I've been reading stereo instructions.

I haven't delved in and really gotten into doing the exercises, as I just got it today, and I let my voice rest as we've got a gig tomorrow. But just listening and hearing the new explanations and ways of putting things makes me excited. It looks like it'll be a pretty solid program, and a good compliment to Pillars.

The program arrived today, and I just wanted to give my first impressions for anyone else thinking about purchasing Vocal Asylum.

First things first: It's just a DVD-R and two CD-Rs with some stick on labels. Now, some may count that against it, but not me. It was sort of refreshing open the mailing envelope and not be bombarded by ads and testimonials and slick marketing. It was sort of like a "let the music do the talking" sort of thing. It's a rock singing program, not one of Brett Manning's billboards.

The DVD: The DVD is informative in general. It goes over the basics of how the vocal mechanism works. But James explained it in a way that made it make sense to me. He used layman's terms and didn't give me all of the vocal nerd stuff I don't so much care for. Quick, to the point, and an informative refresher course on what's going on in there.

James takes you through the exercises with a guy and girl. Now, James is using very standard Singing Success type Mums, Gugs, lip rolls, tongue rolls and the like. But the difference for me is how he explained doing them. He tells you when to support, when to open the jaw, and a few other things that Brett Manning never told me. He also throws in some mental imagery, like when to think down as you're going up, that really made sense to me. I've heard of doing that numerous times, but the way it was explained clicked.

Then he's got some other exercises that I haven't seen elsewhere.

One thing I really like: No modes, no heavy technical jargon. I've never been a huge fan of getting bogged down by which mode I'm in, what formant and all that. That sort of takes the fun out of singing for me. I do like to know what's going on, and what I'm doing, but a lot of teachers get way too technical, and I come away feeling like I've been reading stereo instructions.

I haven't delved in and really gotten into doing the exercises, as I just got it today, and I let my voice rest as we've got a gig tomorrow. But just listening and hearing the new explanations and ways of putting things makes me excited. It looks like it'll be a pretty solid program, and a good compliment to Pillars.

I'm glad you enjoy it and hope you get something out of it. Yeah I know the packaging is ghetto. That's why I took the shopping cart off my site, I originally made 1000 of them full graphics, pics etc but sold them all out and decided to kind of slow things down with selling them and just make them myself one at a time as orders come in, so actually more love went it yours then the yo diggity ones. :) Anyway, the key is to put your heart into it when you sing and good things will happen, that I can guarantee. If your already working with Robert's system then this should just add to what you've already learned. Good luck man.

James