Sign in to follow this  
PobertBlant

How to Process a Vocalist who does not have a very consistent tone/timbre?

Rate this topic

How to process a vocalist in a recording who does not have a very consistent tone/timbre? A good example is Marilyn Manson, he has a totally different sound when he sings in his mid/lower range, when he moves up into his higher ranges, you can see how thin and distorted his tone gets. My point is, obviously producers wouldn't treat his voice as a whole through out, right? They cut the vocal into segments and then treat the higher vocal differently and the lower/mid differently? This is confusing.

I'd also like to know how they make a vocal that thin not sound annoying and shrill. He's really going for it in that chorus, while the verses are sung pretty heavy.

I missed this early. And I am not privy to the recording and mixing tricks of MM, though I have read Brian's memoirs, they are more about the relationships he has had with people than they are about the technical aspects of his music production.

Anyway, so, to have a voice that would normally get small and shrill spread itself out in a recording is to use tape saturation or something a lot like it. EQ effect of recording to tape at saturation levels is a natural-ish compression and loss of high partials while adding others.

Simply, you could put on an EQ in your DAW and shelve eq off some highs then follow that with an exciter plug-in to gain back some open air.

You can do some EQ'ing and there are some formant plugins that can change the sound color a pinch... but the bottom-line is... you can't polish a turd.  Not saying your tone is a turd, I'm sure it isn't... more likely, it is a lot better or has more potential then you realize. But, the only way to get consistent, good tone is to train and learn how the voice works. Elements that greatly effect tone are; positioning of the larynx, formant/vowels, resonance position, the level of compression on your glottis, and the anatomy of your vocal tract. All but one of these elements in the "Phonation Package" have to be first understood and then trained to exact the motor skills... you have to become a student of singing if you REALLY want to have great tone and be able to control it. 

There is no "secret tip" on YouTube or this forum that is going to help you to have lasting, good, reliable tone when you sing... because even if we pounded out 12 pages of explanations on how to "tune" your tone in forum posts... if your not willing to practice to train your ear and body to coordinate and tune for great singing tone, you never will.

How do you get great, consistent tone? .... Make a commitment to vocal training, and start practicing. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this