please critique my vocals, Radiohead piano cover *frustrated*

Rate this topic

it pretty much stays around E and F# (is that middle E and F#?) which is where my range seems to be able to go at least good enough for performance purposes...but I'm kinda wanting you to decide that. Does it sound good/good enough? How pitchy am I? am I too nasally? Straining too much?

for reference, here's the video/performance i'm kind of emulating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-S...feature=related

here's my cover (i know it's not perfect!, this was more just a run through than a true cover for listening purposes), just click the purple or grey play button "Videotape (Radiohead Cover"

http://mattblackwell.dmusic.com/

I know my tone could be a bit more clear/better/less dry so I'm just looking for some tips from any experts who hear anything specifically...and I am emulating the real vocalist a bit for sure...that's kind of the problem i don't really know to hit those notes as well using my real voice, but if i emulate a bit i can reach those notes easier. he kind of has that whiney sound a bit. I'd like to be able to tone that down a lot but I'm just out of ideas, so damn frustrated...

Also here's an original song from my band, that I also have trouble with, if you want to hear me singing a song of mine with less emulation, and more me trying to do my "real" voice

http://pandathief.bandcamp.com/track/outpost-no-23-recent-mix

Thanks for any tips/advice

Youtube link has a faulty link addy.

dmusic site, windows mediaplayer says it can't open the file, whether it's corrupted or a different format, I don't know.

But the pandathief link worked and I got to hear "Outpost no. 23."

And it's really good stuff. Some really intelligent art rock, blending rock, ska, funk, a slight disco rip on the drums. It made me think of a more angelic sounding Queens of the Stone Age. And I mean that as a high compliment, for I liked Queens of the Stoneage. Absolutely well done. You should finish the EP and get it promoted. I definitely think there's a market. At least you are in Austin. Do you get to S X SW? I've never been to that event but it's a good place to get known and learn some names to contact.

I found another Radiohead cover in your Youtube channel and I wrote there that your voice is shaky sometimes, but for this type of songs, it's totally fitting. In my opinion, it stands true for Videotape, which I've just heard. Even if, apparently, it's not technically perfect, it's captivating. Since you are so influenced by Thom Yorke, I suggest you post something in a totally different style, more linear, where you have to use a natural tone and hold the notes a bit longer instead of just hitting and leaving. That will "show you up" more.

(Outpost No. 23 is super cool, I liked it as much as ronws did :D)

Youtube link has a faulty link addy.

dmusic site, windows mediaplayer says it can't open the file, whether it's corrupted or a different format, I don't know.

But the pandathief link worked and I got to hear "Outpost no. 23."

And it's really good stuff. Some really intelligent art rock, blending rock, ska, funk, a slight disco rip on the drums. It made me think of a more angelic sounding Queens of the Stone Age. And I mean that as a high compliment, for I liked Queens of the Stoneage. Absolutely well done. You should finish the EP and get it promoted. I definitely think there's a market. At least you are in Austin. Do you get to S X SW? I've never been to that event but it's a good place to get known and learn some names to contact.

oh darn, hmmm you might want to try downloading the file?

anyways, thank you for the good words about Outpost! haha I really didn't expect anyone to check it out, just threw it in there. We're finishing the EP sometimes around Feb. or March. We haven't done much in regards to gigs yet, besides one show, so I'm not sure if we'd be ready for SXSW, though it is something to shoot for. if you want shoot me your e-mail in a message and I'll be sure to let you know when we release the EP.

I found another Radiohead cover in your Youtube channel and I wrote there that your voice is shaky sometimes, but for this type of songs, it's totally fitting. In my opinion, it stands true for Videotape, which I've just heard. Even if, apparently, it's not technically perfect, it's captivating. Since you are so influenced by Thom Yorke, I suggest you post something in a totally different style, more linear, where you have to use a natural tone and hold the notes a bit longer instead of just hitting and leaving. That will "show you up" more.

(Outpost No. 23 is super cool, I liked it as much as ronws did :D)

Right on thank you! Ya it seems how I sing, is enough to basically "get by" and it does fit the real "human imperfection" sound of Radiohead and that sort of style, though I'd like to be able to control that you know...so if I want to sound perfect I can. Outpost No. 23 is probably as close as you're going to get right now to my "real voice" and still in a somewhat high register, everything else I sing on mainly stays around middle C.

Also since you liked Outpost, and like Radiohead, you might want to check out "Burning Ties" on our bandcamp page, it's definitely a bit more Radiohead-influenced. I sing on that one, and wrote it all as well.

once again though, appreciate all the nice words and the critiques, every little bit helps. and you've helped confirm a little bit of what's been in the back of my head. thanks.

There was an emo band called New Sickest Kids of the World. They started out on facebook, sending music files to each other and collaberating. They had a total of 3 songs worked up and created such a stir that they got a recording contract on just those 3 songs and then got slated to play at S X SW. And I saw a broadcast of that performance. So, don't sell yourself short.