Sex Type Thing

Rate this topic

staticsound

I suggest you try to simply "intensify" your tone on that note, while trying to be as relaxed as you can, until you hear a slight rasp, going from clean to gritty. It's not that difficult mostly because the note is below the passagio. See if it works. Sometimes it's best not to complicate things. That is, unless keeping it simple just doesn't work for you - then you need to try to figure out which small detail you're missing.

Ok, new tune we are adding to our set. How is Weiland pulling this off...sounds like he's just yelling, but if you look at live videos, he doesn't even look like he's straining? Is this overdrive, curbing?

<clip snip>

the part I'm talking about starts 58 sec in

Staticsound: At :58 and therebouts, I cannot really see him to know if he is straining or not. This vocal is not particularly high. To my ear, it does not go into the top voice at all, barely getting into the bottom of the passaggio region.

His vocalism uses a fair amount of abdominal pressure, as evidenced near the end of the piece, where you can see that neck muscles and veins are standing out while he is making sound.

Ok, I may be hearing it wrong...the last lines, before he goes into the chorus, he's singing the same notes, just adding rasp to them? The "you wanna know about atrocity" part. I may be mistaken, but I thought he was singing it an octave higher there? I'll try it though, thanks guys

Apparently my interpretation of passagio was wrong, but it's not needed as a term in my book. The guy does reach a G#4 in that part you talk about staticsound so yes he does go up an octave.

Snorth, Staticsound: No, you got it right, I was the one that got it wrong. I went back and listened again, and pitched it against my keyboard. The top note is G#/Ab, as you say. That'll teach me to just listen less than carefully.

It's funny, I was practicing this one with the album version and it was throwing me off until I realized in that live video, Weiland's got the band playing it a 1/2 step lower, lol. That makes things a little easier, the G#4 is a little easier for me to make sound beefier than G4...I know it's not much of a difference pitchwise, but my register break is right on G4. The band will be drop tuning this one, haha.