Sign in to follow this  
Denis Gallén Iserte

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs Steinberg UR22 MK2

Rate this topic

Depends on how many active inputs you need. The 2in2 is most that any singer needs. I have a number of instruments but since I am playing them all, I only need 1 input at a time, no more than two for stereo micing. If you are singing against karaoke tracks, the 2in2 A/D converters are as good as you will need. The only way to justify a more expensive converter is if you are recording bands, in which case, you would probably go with a Firewire 26, which already has what it needs onboard.

The DAW doesn't really matter so much. Conversion and ease of use. I believe the 2in2 has live monitor, which will largely diminish any latency issues, as you should monitor with it and not through software.

I have the Scarlett 2i2, it's a great interface for sure.

One point that might need some attention:

It's headphone amp could use a little more power, I found that without my own headphones amplifier it was very difficult to use the live monitor when recording vocals (the mic gain had to be set too high in order to be audible with the maximum headphone volume, which usually leads to clipping).

If you are going to use it with loudspeakers or a headphone amplifier you won't have a problem. If you are going to use just the Scarlett 2i2, you may find it lacking in this regard. I assume most USB powered interfaces will have a similar issue since the main problem is the low voltage and power of the supply (5v, 0.5A only).

The preamps are amazing for it's price, they are on par with the Yamaha Ns mixers, which are also quite good!

Yeah! I can also vouch for the scarlet 2i2. Great sounding pre-amps. And I agree about the low output headphone. I intend to get a headphone amp to solve that, if I keep my 2i2. Cheers

1 hour ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

It's headphone amp could use a little more power,

Great point, I totally agree... it is good to pick up a headphone amplifier device. They are not too expensive. There is one at The Vocal Gear Store under the "home recording" category. 

I've got a Scarlett with more inputs. You only need them if you are going to mic drums or a live band of multiple people.

2 inputs Is enough to handle most singer + other instrument situations and it's a good deal. I'm pretty sure the drivers are mostly the same. 

The only deal breaker is if it doesn't have midi. At some point you might want to compose electronically and I'm not sure if that model has it.

I have m-audio m-track. 2 in (2 phono, 2 xlr) 2 out line level for either separate amp to monitors or just to self-powered monitors. Head phone jack. input levels on each input, master volume out, usb versus live monitor (to adjust live no lantency monitor against playback). MIDI in and MIDI out. On board +48 volts for condenser mics on input 1.

each input has a selector between line and instrument. Dynamic mics or mics through another pre, keyboards, and other synths can go line. Instrument is for guitars and bass guitars with no active onboards, just the chiquito signal from the pickups.

Best Buy $99 + tax (8.25 percent where I live.) Plus, I have an xlr to xlr cable that reduces noise and interference because it is no more than 10 feet long.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this