a new free resource

Rate this topic

VideoHere

in my never ending quest for knowledge (without screwing myself up...lol!!!) i stumbled upon this older gent when i was browsing new you tube videos. i bought the dvd, but soon found out the guy dosen't sell the dvd anymore and is retired! so i called him up to get a refund, and he and i became friends. he has some resume.

he also has a unique methodology to set up the voice before an exercise.

all of the info and videos are free. i love his support videos. he didn't want to join the forum...damn it...lol!!!

www. thevoiceplace.com

Somebody showed me this site someday and I've been using a few of his exercises ever since. I'm making several adjustments in my singing routine, so I'll probably add a lot more of his "system" to my workouts. It's impressive the amount of information he's willing to give for free just to help people sing, especially since everything is in video.

I've been going through his exercises, and find them to be a great set. They're pretty standard classical exercises, but a lot of them aren't available in the more well-known programs discussed here, so it's cool to throw them in as an alternative.

He teaches the use of bridging into the head voice, which is great, and isn't taught in a lot of classically influenced programs. He also has specific exercises for vowels AND consanants, which I also love.

Great find!

I've been going through his exercises, and find them to be a great set. They're pretty standard classical exercises, but a lot of them aren't available in the more well-known programs discussed here, so it's cool to throw them in as an alternative.

He teaches the use of bridging into the head voice, which is great, and isn't taught in a lot of classically influenced programs. He also has specific exercises for vowels AND consanants, which I also love.

Great find!

thanks jeran.

when i spoke to the guy he was a big proponent of developing the head voice in terms of priority.

Great find!

thanks man....he's a pretty cool guy...told me that to really be above the crowd you gotta develop the head voice more than anything for rock..be patient and work hard.

He also use head voice and falsetto terms interchangably, which uh, leads me no where. Not to get into the big debate too much, but as I get it he use the term falsetto for the entire upper range of the male voice, and another falsetto 'voicing' term for the upper breathy voice. When you do falsetto exercises and minimize this breathiness and increase muscle strength (without straining, which is another paradox) you develop what we modernists call 'head voice' which can then be blended down to chest.

Did I get it right?

In that case it should be ok if you cannot reach head voice but keep working on falsetto (the breathy kind) and try to tiny it down and remove breathiness until it turns into head resonance voice? Which by the way is what that Raise your Voice book also preach doesn't it?

Gread find by the way! And great admirations for the good man helping others.

Hey I noticed the example of the "tiny voice" file on his site links to no where. Tried to find other examples of this but no success. It's in blending exercises.

Does anyone know more examples of this? Basicly it's falsetto tone only in ppp and try to hold it there and work away breathiness (which he calls contrained falsetto I think). Eventually if you do it right you can use it for all kinds of exercises. The famous Pavarotti mecca di voca being one.

On another note there seem to be lots of similarities between this and the other famous rock vocal trainers/programs (Jamie Vendera and Kevin Richards comes to mind). Which is a good thing in my book. Feels like at least someone is doing it right out there.

Fred

Hey I noticed the example of the "tiny voice" file on his site links to no where. Tried to find other examples of this but no success. It's in blending exercises.

Does anyone know more examples of this? Basicly it's falsetto tone only in ppp and try to hold it there and work away breathiness (which he calls contrained falsetto I think). Eventually if you do it right you can use it for all kinds of exercises. The famous Pavarotti mecca di voca being one.

On another note there seem to be lots of similarities between this and the other famous rock vocal trainers/programs (Jamie Vendera and Kevin Richards comes to mind). Which is a good thing in my book. Feels like at least someone is doing it right out there.

Fred

as soon as feel better, i'm gonna post an example of the this whole head voice falsetto thing as i understand it to be. nothing fancy just gonna sing through it. you're right... it is confusing and it remains confusing.

excellent site and ressources, i 've ripped the site and just started to to see video about support, and you know what, first time i really understand it. Ho my god, back to the first level again lol.

Yes, had the same sensation. He makes it easy and keep it to the point. Helps to do that mantra thing before every single exercise too. Been mixing this with other exercises I have and indeed I think I understand it finally.

Makes one wonder why this was so hard to begin with (something I'll bump into again and again I'm sure) and why so many others can't explain it well. How many videos are there out there were they just sit and talk and talk for ten minutes about how to do it, show it once and you didn't get crap. Makes me want to go in and push the dislike button a bunch of times just to make a point (which I don't). But still...

About falsetto vs head voice. I can understand why the confusion since I think once you get it, it's so clear there's no way to not to understand it. If you don't get it there's no way telling you're right or wrong until you do. So you remain in confusion until you stumble upon your 'sweet spot' where the distiction doesn't matter anymore. Just take what I just wrote with a pound of salt since I don't get it and is as confused as ever haha.

With this guys support exercises I can get my head buzzing like a bee, not breathing through my nose, for short bursts but it still sounds exactly as what I think is my falsetto, just louder.

And again, head voice is misnomer for the range above the passagio and falsetto is a tonal quality. It's just that for many singers, especially without training to work around the passagio, they most easily access the head voice range by singing in falsetto tone. Falsetto is not a range or fach.

And there is another term that I find to be oxymoronic is "reinforced falsetto." Falsetto is a lack of more complete adduction of the folds and there's no actual "reinforcement" to it. What some have called reinforced falsetto is what I think of as pure headvoice, lacking some of the timbre one often hears in "chest voice," another misnomer.

that's why i like to read a lot of books and other resouces to hear all different ways of explaining things. some of the best teachers aren't always the best articulators. joy sikorski is another one. she's a master vocal instructor but likes to put things across in a comical or eclectic way.